Big Apple Barbeque

Friday, June 12, 2009

We celebrate the 7th annual Big Apple Barbeque Block Party by speaking with Kenny Callaghan, pitmaster and executive chef of Blue Smoke, and Patrick Martin, a pitmaster from Nolensville, Tennessee, including an on-air sampling of different styles of barbeque. The Big Apple Barbeque Block Party is June 13-14, 11:00 am-7:00 pm, in Madison Square Park.

Kenny Callaghan, and Patrick Martin,

ed hardy from putian,fujian

This post rocks. You took our conversation from that podcast and made it incredibly clear. I’m going to practice it so I can be much more eloquent.

Well i’ve experienced this here.

Jun. 25 2009 11:36 PM
Mia from Brooklyn

Hey, why not ever a show on the wonders of cooking TOFU or some non-animal product? With the links between global warming and meat and dairy production now a matter of science, I wonder why there's still so much meat-y fare on the show. Also, I imagine many fewer people know how to make great barbecued tofu than barbecued beef!

Jun. 12 2009 02:28 PM
Wendy from Queens

How ironic. Later in the show you'll be discussing the wonder and marvelousness of avian and bee evolution and intelligence, but you and guests take such obvious pleasure in discussing the torture and dismemberment of an animal considered to be remarkably friendly and extremely intelligent, if given half a chance. My eating habits are not (yet?) completely cruelty free, but I just wanted to point out the amazing contradictions in how humans consider our fellow earth inhabitants.

Jun. 12 2009 12:55 PM
Ellen from Brooklyn

John from Brooklyn/Owensboro

Hey, that's where I grew up too. I wish they'd bring in Old Hickory.

Jun. 12 2009 12:31 PM
Gary from Port Washington

Don't Forget Long Island BBQ - HarborQ

We are lucky that great BBQ has come to Long Island in Port Washington where they do both St. Louis cut and Baby Back or Beef Ribs. HarborQ in Port Washington. It is definitely a sinful treat.

Jun. 12 2009 12:26 PM
Tony Clark from Amsterdam, The Nethelrands

BROTHER JIMMY'S BBQ, 1ST Ave., I was born in N.C. I love BBQ. Lived in NY for 18 years. This was the closet thing to it. Great collard greens, and coleslaw. I even had a few dinners parties and meetings, where I brought in BBQ from Brother Jimmy's.

Tony from Amsterdam

Jun. 12 2009 12:23 PM
Luke from Brooklyn

Nice one, James...

Jun. 12 2009 12:21 PM
John from Brooklyn

Seconding Ellen from Brooklyn...

You can't talk about American barbecue traditions without mentioning Western Kentucky -- specifically, Owensboro, Ky. -- mutton and burgoo.

Owensboro has some of the most famous barbecue restaurants in the country, and for decades has hosted the International BBQ Festival.

-- A transplanted Owensboroan

Jun. 12 2009 12:21 PM
James

Shekels, get it? I'll have a pound of BBQ'd flesh, please...

Jun. 12 2009 12:20 PM
Luke from Brooklyn

What about Virgil's near Times Square?

I know when they opened around 1996, they had to adhere to many many zoning and restrictive laws about smoking their own meat - in order to even call it "real bbq"

Jun. 12 2009 12:20 PM
Marilyn from Manhattan

WHY DOES THE EVENT ALWAYS END AT 7PM? Last year it was SO hot: An evening 'cue would have been delightful. Is it a city ordinance or what?

Jun. 12 2009 12:19 PM
Ellen from Brooklyn

Still missing: Western Kentucky vinegar-based mutton BBQ. Please invite someone from there in the future.

Jun. 12 2009 12:13 PM
Alistair Wallace from midtown

Is there anyone at the bbq cooking with So. Carolina mustard-based sauce?

Jun. 12 2009 12:13 PM
Moshe Feder from Flushing, NY

I share your guest's pleasure in the welcome growth of real barbecue in New York City, but it's NOT true that there was absolutely no real 'que here ten years ago.

Pearson's Stick To Your Ribs Barbecue in Long Island was definitely the real thing, and deserves historical recognition for introducing genuine "low and slow" texas barbecue to our previously deprived city.

Jun. 12 2009 12:12 PM