A New Face

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Dr. Maria Siemionow made history in December 2008 by leading the team that performed this first near-total face transplant in the United States. She recounts her 30 year journey to the forefront of American medicine and reveals the complex process behind transplants in her book Face to Face: My Quest to Perform the First Face Transplant.

Dr. Maria Siemionow

Amy from Manhattan

Re Dr. Siemionow's statement on not knowing whether antirejection drugs will have the same adverse effects in healthier patients, do those effects have any early signs (like precancerous changes) that could be detected in the time since the hand transplants have been done?

And I'm glad to hear Ms. Culp has good sensory function in her face since the transplant!

Jun. 03 2009 12:50 PM
Ava from NYC

what is the doctor background and Leonard, can you please check if you are pronouncing her name right!!?? Sounds offly wrong. Thanks.

Jun. 03 2009 12:49 PM
Lew Yedwab from Melville, NY

Leonard:

I believe, STRONGLY, that the phrase is a "drug regimen", not a drug regime.

Jun. 03 2009 12:42 PM
Hugh from Brewster NY

Do patients taking immunosuppresant drugs have a greater suspecibility to disease and infection because their immune systems are suppressed?

Jun. 03 2009 12:42 PM
Jane from queens

Is the reason for not using donor skin for grafts because of the drugs you have to take for your body to accept it? I have a free flap (muscle from my back and skin from my thigh) on my foot and the sores on the bottom never heal due to the soft thigh skin. I always wondered why the doctors didn't use "bottom of the foot skin" from a donor/ cadaver.

Jun. 03 2009 12:27 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Does the recipient of the face transplant have normal sensation in her face?

Jun. 03 2009 12:20 PM