Robert Reich on the Economy

Friday, May 15, 2009

Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich joins us for a far reaching discussion on everything from what the Obama Administration’s pursuit of tax havens might mean for healthcare reform, to the bank stress tests, to the Employee Free Choice Act and the role unions are playing in the restructuring of Chrysler and GM. You can read Reich’s blog here.

Robert Reich

anna

Josh, I like Reich too.

May. 15 2009 03:22 PM
josh

Agree w previous commenter/anna! But I do admire you as one of the straightest shooters among the politically elite (though admittedly a tenured straight shooter, I believe ;-)

I especially appreciated your contrarian viewpoints and interest in disseminating them during the Bush years.

May. 15 2009 01:22 PM
anna

Dear Mr Reich,
Why should I care whether or not relationship with Rubin was civil and cordial or not? Personally, I care more about the conditions of life and maybe, just maybe, you should have been less cordial and civil. I know, I know, Americans are taught in prenatal care to smile permanently (Carnegie) at a great cost to the world.
I am very happy that you respect Rubin's opinion (again as taught in prenatal care), but I would prefer that not all opinions were respected, and some were actually despised and rejected. In addition, don't you think that some "opinions" are not really opinions.
Otherwise, you are OK.

May. 15 2009 12:45 PM
AEWT

QUESTION

Is there an economic model that revolves around not growth but sustainability?

May. 15 2009 12:32 PM
Wyn Achenbaum from Stamford, CT

We'd do a lot better if the portion of what we pay for housing which is attributable to the land value went not to the landlord or the mortgage lender but to the commons, as our share of the taxes.

Housing prices would not be as high. We would not pay twice (land rent to the landlord or seller, plus taxes to the community), and we would not suffer the effects of the deadweight loss which sales taxes and wage taxes place on the economy.

Henry George laid it out. If it wasn't time for us to listen last year, or the year before, it surely is now!

May. 15 2009 12:23 PM
superf88

Mr. Reich:
So there is no more room in our houses, our cars, our stomachs or our borders for growth and expansion.

Is there an economic model that revolves around not growth but sustainability?

Can you explore this idea for a moment? Thank you.

May. 15 2009 12:15 PM
Gabrielle from Brooklyn

can Mr. Reich clear up the confusion about the Employee Free Choice Act in regards to the secret ballot. I hear many things and when I think I've finally figured it out, it seems that someone new proves me wrong.

Thank you.