The Central Park Jogger: 20 Years Later

Monday, April 20, 2009

Trisha Meili was brutally attacked and raped while she was jogging through Central Park two decades ago. She joins us to talk about her recovery and what she’s learned as a rape and brain injury survivor.

Trisha Meili

will

Its nice to hear ms. meili has given a much better interveiw then her last interveiw. I can hear much more coherance in her answers to your questions and I am encouraged for her and others who have suffered such horrors.
god bless her, I hope she will continue to move foreward.

Apr. 21 2009 10:02 AM
Rob B Manhattan from east village

The focus is on brain injury & recovery. Leonard as always is sensitive and appropriate with his questions. Perhaps they should have followed with another show about the prosecution and it's ramifications.

Apr. 20 2009 04:25 PM
Symptoms and Not problems from Brooklyn

Wow, I'm truly shocked at how inappropriate many of these posts are. Shouldn't they be directed at their true perpetrators versus someone who has already been a victim (<-understatement) once? Blame the system that allowed anyone to be wrongfully accused, and blame yourselves for the need to point the finger. The race issue can always be reversed: many seem to see white woman/person and think immediately there is an agenda.

Apr. 20 2009 02:20 PM
the truth from bkny

RT - I suppose you think I should retract the second half of my comment? Sorry no

Apr. 20 2009 02:09 PM
the truth from bkny

RT - so what, your point?

Apr. 20 2009 02:07 PM
Dan from Kearny, NJ

If I might add to my last post...
I lost all my ambitions to do almost anything. Had to take a disability retirement, stopped going to ballgames with my children, am struggling to pay my bills and just went to stay on the sofa. It's a life-time injury.

Apr. 20 2009 01:58 PM
Dan from Kearny, NJ

I had a head injury in `92 and STILL feel the effects of it. Actually, beginning several days ago I had a relapse. I have a concussion from the forehead to the left occiptal all along the left side of my head, enrve damage in the face, and damaged eye socket. I was a cop at the time and given a cheap shoot by a politician's soon to be son-in-law. I neevr saw the punch coming and was knocked out standing up, fell to the street and cracked my head on the p[avement, and then the guy continued to punch me while I was unconsciouss. What a hero. Shame on his mother-in-law.

Apr. 20 2009 01:55 PM
RT

>>the truth from bkny<<<

>>>Yes she suffered a horrible unspeakable attack, not at all her fault or anything to be ashamed of BUT the fact that people were falsly accused and jailed is also part of the story.<<<

If Bob Morganthau was the guest, or the defense lawyers of the kids or the ADA or lead investigators of the case were on the show, I would say absolutely. She is a victim, who does not remember anything. She has nothing to add. She has poured her life into helping people who have suffered like her.

Apr. 20 2009 01:55 PM
eliza from midtown

Thank you for this segment. My husband was attacked last year and has experienced quite a bit of the emotional trauma that Ms Meili is describing, including people's removal from the crime by stating that they'd never be in a similar situation. I'd like to thank Ms Meili for speaking about her experience. I can't imagine it's easy.

On a completely other subject, there seems to be something wrong with the email link up above.

Apr. 20 2009 01:51 PM
RT

>>>a. hammagaadji <<<

What do you want Ms. Meili to say? Is she suppose to apologize for something? Is she suppose to apologize for the media coverage that occurred after her attack? Should she apologize for being attacked that gave Jane Hanson the opportunity to do whatever you think she did?

What do you want her to do, considering everything she went through? She is doing something positive. A lot of people who have suffered like her, desperately need people like Ms. Meili to be in the public eye so that they know that they are not alone and can be inspired.

Apr. 20 2009 01:50 PM
the truth from bkny

Apr. 20 2009 01:48 PM
a. hammagaadji

I had forgotten about trump but I do remember jane Hanson's news delivery, each word dripping with racist inuendo.but frankly I condemn people who think I should be more careful with my language on a blog than this society should be more careful with the justice system unless, of course, present conditions benefit them because the way many in the African community see it, that criminal Sheehan? and his ilk are doing their jobs well, that is, targeting young African men, giving them records and easing the way for others to good jobs and upward mobility with many of the possible competition sidetracked. That is the diabolical plan and it's working well.

Apr. 20 2009 01:40 PM
amanda from new york city

amazing story. i admire ms. meili's candor and courage in telling her story. great interview.

Apr. 20 2009 01:37 PM
Wallace from The Bronx

People have to remember that this woman suffered a savage attack her life at that point has been changed forever. The men that were accused and convicted for something they did not do their lives have been wasted and changed forever due to a racist judicial system. It's not the victim's fault that they were convicted. I applaud Leonard for asking her feelings towards the convictions. Everyone involved directly or indirectly lives will never be the same.

Apr. 20 2009 01:37 PM
Mary Beth Kooper from nyc

Bravo to you Tricia. I am so sorry for what happened to you and I admire your courage to move beyond the horrible things you suffered.

I think the benefits of exercise cannot be underestimated, and I am so pleased to hear how it has helped you and I hope that other people are inspired to help themselves and get moving. I am staring a website to promote exercise, xersizzle.com (not yet launched), and I will add links to your story on the site.
Best regards-Mary Beth

Apr. 20 2009 01:37 PM
Tim

How do the injuries and recovery affect your interpersonal relationships? Are you married, do you have children?

Apr. 20 2009 01:37 PM
Sheree from Manhattan

An amazing and positive person doing good things rather than being drowned in bitterness and self pity

Apr. 20 2009 01:37 PM
JJ

I had heard that you had a black boyfriend at the time of the attack. Was that true.

Apr. 20 2009 01:36 PM
RT

>>> Sam Nance from BK<<<

Sam,

I am curious do you know if the Duke Lacrosse players who are white running around, speaking and publishing books?

Also, Sam, it sounds like an opportunity for you to create a blog or website for those who have been railroaded by the justice system. Maybe you can eventually get the blog content published in a book, and Lenord can interview you on his show one day.

Apr. 20 2009 01:33 PM
RT

Give it a rest people! What do you want from her? She suffered a horrible attack. Lord knows what physical and mental scars she has. She had suffered head trauma and other injuries.

Why does she have to speak about the criminal justice system and race relations? All I know is that if I went through her path of recovery I would have far bigger things on my plate to worry about than race relations in NYC.

Apr. 20 2009 01:31 PM
Waldo from Manhattan

Amazing the folks who listen to public radio. I sure wouldn't want to go to that get-together they keep promoting if these are the kinds of people I'd run into.

Apr. 20 2009 01:23 PM
Sam Nance from BK

Leonard does not have the courage to ask her about the effect her attack had on race relations in this city or about the malicious prosecution of the wrong people. I think we all know by now if it was a group of white boys they would be on the speaking circuit with her and you would have doctors saying it was peer pressure or their brains that were the cause. Not one prosecutor or cop has beem interviewed or asked to explain themselves.

Apr. 20 2009 01:08 PM
Marcus from manht

I would like to know how she feels about Donald Trump taking out an ad saying the kids should be killed. I have heard he talk about being a rape and brain injury survivor but those kids were not guilty. I have not heard her say anything about that. I would like to know about that. Does she have anything to say about the prosecution of those young men? All the years they spent in prison? I understand she has no memory of the attack but how can you be an advocate of any type of victimization when these young men payed for a crime because they were young and black? You dont see any of them being asked to give speeches or showing up on talk shows. Speak out about the injustice that happened to these young men for GODS SAKE!

Apr. 20 2009 12:56 PM
Jim

I am curious as to how Ms. Meili as a victim of a horrific attack, had any thoughts on how the tragedy was used by people to talk about race for political aims in NYC.

I remember that her attack came after the Howard Beach attacks. Her attack was followed by Bensonhurst. I think Crown Heights occured a year or two later.

Even though Ms. Meili's attack was apples compared to the oranges of the other attacks, it was used by some whites to talk poorly about black men. Just as the Bensonhurst and Howard Beach attacks were used by blacks to talk poorly about whites.

I remember local coverage of Al Sharpton's march in Bensonhurst (when Ed Koch told them not to march). During the coverage, I remember hecklers being covered yelling to Sharpton and the crowd "What about Central Park, What about Central Park?"

Apr. 20 2009 12:16 PM
David from the Bronx from Bronx

Hammagaadji needs to be more careful with his use of language. Ms. Meieli did not wrongly identify the attackers or anyone else. She did not attempt to identify anyone because she had no memory of the attacks.

Apr. 20 2009 11:42 AM
LB from Montreal

#1: I don't recall that Ms. Meieli identified her attackers (wrongly) in court. I thought she had suffered memory loss, and that the prosecution worked from circumstantial evidence and forced confessions.

Apr. 20 2009 11:09 AM
a. hammagaadji

Please ask her how she feels now about wrongly identifying 5 African and Latin young men as the attackers. Will she ever support prosecution of investigators of her case who willfully perpetrated misconduct in order to target African An Latin youth for indictment and incarceration. Ask her does she flinch when she passes by African and Latin men on the street. I would love to know who she is affected in this emotional aspect.

Apr. 20 2009 09:15 AM