Deep Brain Stimulation

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There are some brain disorders that do not respond to traditional treatments and therapies. Science writer Jamie Talan investigates a new and controversial procedure for the treatment of rare disorders in which electrodes are implanted in the brain with a device similar to a pacemaker. She'll be joined by Dr. Rob Weil, a doctor with dystonia who underwent deep brain stimulation surgery. Jamie Talan's book and the procedure are called Deep Brain Stimulation.

Event: Jamie Talan will be speaking and signing books
Tuesday, March 31 at 7 pm
The Book Revue
313 New York Avenue
Huntington, New York

Jamie Talan and Dr. Rob Weil,

Bob from Halifax NS

my name is Bob and I'm 65 in Halifax NS Canada..I have had cervical Dystinia for the past 20 year's and in Sept. of this year had DBS surgery in Halifax..My Dr, Ivar Mendez who is one of the best neurosurgeon's in this field. It took a couple of months before I got the full benefit..but now it is great!! .I am so thankful to Dr. Mendez and his wonderful team for giving me back my life..

Jul. 14 2011 01:39 PM
Mark Nelson from Houston, TX

Hey there Fred Mauch in Colorado Springs. I have had Dystonia since 1963 and just this year on March 3rd Dr. Simpson did DBS on me. It is still early in my programing to see any results at all. This morning I was looking for a support group in Houston for DBS. There are very few people who could possibly understand what I am up agianst, Doctors, Family and/or Friends. How long did it take before you and your neurologist felt the best results had been achieved? My problems are walking related and I am desperately wanting relief, plus a friend who just might have a little insider view on DBS.

May. 01 2009 10:12 AM
Fred Mauch from Colorado springs, CO

I had Dystonia and had little control of my upper body for 23 years.I went to Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Texas and had Deep Brain Stimulation surgery in 2002 at the age of 69. My nerosurgern was Dr. Simson. It turned out real well. I recommend him to any one. I have very few movements anymore. I just had my batteries changed after 5 years, it changed my life, and I am so greatful that I had it done.

Apr. 04 2009 07:33 PM
RAJEANNE LAURELLE from Glendale, Arizona

I'VE HAD SEVERE CERVICAL DYSTONIA FOR SEVERAL YEARS, AS A RESULT OF A CAR ACCIDENT.
IN 2006 I UNDERWENT EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL
DBS SURGERY WITH DR. ANDREW SHETTER AT ST. JOSEPH'S HOSPITAL IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA! WHAT AN AMAZING BLESSING! MY WONDERFUL NEUROLOGIST AT BANNER NEUROLOGY INSTITUTE IS DR. MOGUEL-COBOS! I TRULY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE WHO EXPERIENCES DYSTONIA TO SEE DR. MOGUEL-COBOS...PHONE 602-406-5420 TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT...YOU'LL BE SOOO GLAD YOU DID!

Apr. 03 2009 02:54 PM
Phyllis Ryan from Marshall, MO 65043

I was glad to hear of your website.
I have been diagnosed with cervical dystonia. This was 10 years ago & I am still trying to deal with it. I have a very good neurologist in Columbia, MO. & am very happy with the results she has produced.
I am involved with many Dystonia support groups & watched the Oprah show with Michael J. Fox. Needless to say, I & so many others were very disappointed with the presentation.
It did not really deal with the "normal" person with Dystonia. Beginning to believe it won't happen for awhile.
Dr. Oz did not appear to be well versed with the subject as far as how the brain handles people with this disease & M.J. Fox probably sold a lot of his books. (Don't get me wrong, I deeply admire him & his attitude on how he deals with his Parkinson's & Dystonia, but it just did not give enough true information.

Apr. 01 2009 09:44 PM
Kathleen

To commenter #1, I urge you to go to a movement disorders specialist (not a general neurologist) for another opinion. Your symptoms sound like mine, and I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1998.

Mar. 31 2009 09:11 PM
Janet Hieshetter from Chicago

For more information on dystonia and on DBS for dystonia, listeners can visit the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation's website at: www.dystonia-foundation.org

Or find us on FaceBook, Twitter and MySpace to connect with others affected by dystonia.
Janet Hieshetter
DMRF Executive Director

Mar. 31 2009 02:04 PM
John Celardo from Fanwood, NJ

Hi, I’m 62 and have had tremor on my right side since birth. I was a breach birth and my skull was pierced by forceps during delivery. I’m right handed, but can’t do any fine movements with my right hand. I went to a neurosurgeon when I was 25, and was tested for Wilsons and it was negative. I don’t think I go through surgery now, but would this possibly help? Since I’ve lived with the shakes so long, I think I’d miss it.

Mar. 31 2009 01:43 PM
RG of NY from NYC

I am a neurosurgeon at Columbia, specialized in DBS surgery (since 1997) and I must say that this is not as controversial as is being suggested. It is critical to have a correct diagnosis before having DBS and it is critical to have surgery by an experienced team (neurosurgeon with a specialist neurologist - or psychiatrist for depression or OCD). Also, surgery can be done safely and successfully under general anesthesia (especially for many dystonia patients) and does involve touching the brain (in distinction from brain tumor surgery), but the brain is touched minimally. It is true that DBS is almost always "reversible".

Robert R Goodman, MD, PhD

Mar. 31 2009 01:39 PM
jude from brooklyn

what about Huntington's Disease? would this help?

Mar. 31 2009 01:32 PM
Gans from Clinton Hill, Brooklyn

I desperately need help with coping with my Dystonia. My neurologist has me confirmed with Laryngeal Dysphonia, but then discredits my tremours, falls and writing cramps, which he states 'is a product of stress'. I'm afraid that this 'it's all in your head' is sending me into a very dangerous depression and I need some help with coping with this. I know my body and I know there is something very wrong. And I feel that everyone now looks at me as either a junkie or a mental. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mar. 31 2009 01:18 PM