A Tehran Honeymoon

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In 2005 Time magazine dispatched American-born journalist Azadeh Moaveni to Iran to cover Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's election. There, she fell in love, moved in with her boyfriend, became pregnant and got married- in that order. Her memoir Honeymoon in Tehran explores her experience and the tensions burdening modern Iranian life.

Event: Azadeh Moaveni will be speaking and signing books
Tuesday, February 17 at 7 pm
McNally Jackson Books
52 Prince Street, at Mulberry Street

Azadeh Moaveni

julie from brooklyn

This was by far one of the more dull shows I have ever heard on wnyc. Journalists should not be interviewing uninteresting journalists just because they write a book.

Feb. 17 2009 02:29 PM
Betty Ann from UES

Thank you for asking her about the media bias. The New York Times and other prominent "news" organizations have been painting Iran with broad strokes for years. It's disgusting and a disservice to Americans and Iranians.

I am so happy she is on here today. I hope WNYC hears what she has said and looks at the NY Times with greater scrutiny in the near future.

Feb. 17 2009 12:55 PM
Norman Dee from Manhasset, NY

I deeply grateful for the mention of the plight of modern day Baha'is in Iran. Currently, there are seven who are about to be tried and executed on trumped up charges. These seven were unofficially managing the affairs of the Faith. They have been in prison for months and are being denied basic hygiene, health care, etc.

I love your show.

Norman

Feb. 17 2009 12:50 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I think it was soon after the end of Khatemi's presidency that an Iranian woman told me his gov't. had not been all that good for women. I'm not sure of the specifics anymore, but I think it was that women dissidents were jailed & treated harshly. Does Ms. Moaveni know anything about this? How much was this up to Khatemi as president, or would it have been ordered by the ayatollahs?

Feb. 17 2009 12:50 PM
Jennifer from Manhattan

Let me correct some nomenclature I've been hearing in the dialogue with your guest:

chador=usually black, semicircular cloth that covers the female body from head to toe as if a tent, secured under the chin with one hand. Chadors are worn by more religious women. Most women do not wear these in Iran, especially in Teheran.

Roussarie (roo-sa-ree)=head scarf.
Most women wear these. Typical square folded into a triangle, and worn on head and tied under chin. Lately, women are wearing rectangular scarves whose ends are are draped over shoulders as a variation.

hejob (he-job)=head covering that is secure under chin, and covers shoulders. Worn by children and women in school very often.

Feb. 17 2009 12:49 PM
Dubai-Boy from NYC

Iranians are indeed very edgy. I lived in an Iranian owned flat for months and had access to all the "fruits" of western culture. I must say that Iran's Persian history is also remembered as an indulgent empire - not unlike modern America. Ultimately Islam gives Iran and "Persians" something to be proud of.

Feb. 17 2009 12:48 PM