Edward Villella and the Miami City Ballet

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Former NYC Ballet star Edward Villella is the founder, artistic director, and CEO of the Miami City Ballet. His company is now in its first-ever New York run at New York City Center, featuring works by George Balanchine and Twyla Tharp. It runs Jan. 21-25; you can find more info here.

Edward Villella

Gary from Port Washington NY

I am listening to Joan River's comment that if her child wasn't happy with their appearance she would allow them to have plastic surgery to be more popular. I would rather recommend that her efforts would be better spent teaching values and helping build the child's character by self acceptance and support in facing adversity. A child's value system is developed by facing adversity and confronting it with support of family and friends. All of us have some deficiency and learning to accept them and going past them it what creates greatness. Barack Obama, born in a multi-racial family, raised without a father proved the greatness that can emerge out of personal challenges. The message should be that we accept our imperfections and move past them towards our greater selves.

Jan. 21 2009 01:08 PM
Gregor Laswande from nyc

Please don't have Joan on as a guest anymore. I think I'm dumber(er) and shallower having listened through the segment.

Jan. 21 2009 01:05 PM
Silvianna Goldsmith from New York, N.Y.10009

In regard to the comment that there are no great
male dancers now, I think that Ballet Theater has
a group of male dancers that inspired Mark Morris
to compose for them including Angel Carreno, Ethan Stiefel, David Hallberg, (up and coming and extraordinary)Jose Carreno, Marcelo Gomez and Herman Cornejo. I find that their women are not as impressive with the exception of Nina Anananiashvili, retiring and Bolshoi trained,and Diana Vishneva, also Russian trained.
Past great male dancers at City Ballet also
included Jacques D"Amboise, whose National Dance Theatre, while not a professional Ballet
Company, has proved therapeutic for many.

Jan. 21 2009 12:54 PM
Shoshana Wolfe from Brooklyn

This is so depressing after yesterday's collective call to a higher purpose. I'm sure there are many people who, in their last moments of life, wish they had offered more to others. How many people die wishing they had been better-looking? What is your life about, Joan?

Jan. 21 2009 12:45 PM
Sunshine Hernandez from Bushwick

Joan

Michelle is The First Lady not a celebrity film sex symbol. Her dress was beautiful, classy and flattering to her body. NOT in the way that the general public thinks it should be but set to her standards which I feel to be refreshing.

Jan. 21 2009 12:40 PM
Graham from New York

Does Mr. Villella think that New York City Ballet's overwhelming concentration on performing Ballanchine's ballets, indeed being "The Ballanchine Company" even today, has resulted in limiting the company somewhat?

Jan. 21 2009 12:15 PM
John Hahn from Glen Rock NJ

Please ask Mr. Villella what he remembers about being on The Odd Couple with Tony Randall & Jack Klugman. I knew of Mr. Villella thanks to my parents but I also remember him being on that classic NY sit-com.

Jan. 21 2009 12:13 PM