Urban Italian Cooking

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Chef Andrew Carmellini gives tips on cooking in small urban apartment kitchens. His new cookbook is Urban Italian.

Weigh in: If you're an avid cook, how do you cope with the limitations of small NYC kitchens?

Andrew Carmellini

Ingrid from Upper West Side

I liked the listeners comments. I cook everyday in my tiny kitchen. I can identify with Melissa from Greenpoint. Actually, I lived in Greenpoint over 35 years ago, finding a CHEAP apt, while attending grad school. My kitchen 5 times the size of my current kitchen. I think the topic of cooking in a small kitchen could be expanded. It would be interesting to hear from more people who have clever ideas for our minimalist spaces.

Jan. 07 2009 02:02 PM
David from NYC

Great show. Another great resource for all things Italian is a company called Gustiamo (www.gustiamo.com). Saw them featured on the Today Show a little while back for their Saint Eustachio coffee(delicious). They also have great pastas, oils, spreads, and goodies.

Jan. 06 2009 02:11 PM
Greg from Bronx

Chef Carmellini seemed to me to be a boring guest on the show. He sounded vague with his answers and perhaps even slightly disinterested in even being in the studio.

Jan. 06 2009 01:29 PM
Jaime from Queens

Trion Greek supermarket in astoria has all the herbs and spices he is discussing at fabulous prices. And it does make a difference

Jan. 06 2009 01:23 PM
fancy-socks from Manhattan

can't you post some recipes?

Jan. 06 2009 01:17 PM
Kendra from Flushing, NY

I coped with my previous small kitchen in North Bergen by moving to Flushing, Queens! Although I still challenge myself by only allowing a limited number of pots, pans, dishes and burners, while increasing the number of ingredients. It's a humbling way to stick to my tiny cook space roots.

Cheers, I cannot wait to read the book. I really enjoy the pairing of Gwen's writing and Andrew's recipes!

Jan. 06 2009 01:15 PM
Kitchenette Cookware from Brooklyn

As a former restaurant chef, I adore my tiny kitchen where everything is (well) within reach.
But I found that most kitchen cookware, even sold in NYC is too large for most kitchens. I actually started an online store that specializes in cookware with small kitchens. Smaller fits better and saves energy. www.kitchenettecookware.com.

Jan. 06 2009 01:14 PM
Melissa R. from Brooklyn, NY

I live in Greenpoint and can reach everything from the same spot in my kitchen. I love it. I have no problem making fresh pasta in my "spot". I actually get lost when I go to work (at a resaurant) or am inside the kitchen in my culinary school. I find myself running in circles and clearly not being as effective. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that I can cook in my sweatpants singing along with tina turner in my house?

Jan. 06 2009 12:39 PM