For the latest updates on the weather and your commute on Monday, check out our transit tracker

Urban Italian Cooking

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Chef Andrew Carmellini gives tips on cooking in small urban apartment kitchens. His new cookbook is Urban Italian.

Weigh in: If you're an avid cook, how do you cope with the limitations of small NYC kitchens?

Andrew Carmellini

Ingrid from Upper West Side

I liked the listeners comments. I cook everyday in my tiny kitchen. I can identify with Melissa from Greenpoint. Actually, I lived in Greenpoint over 35 years ago, finding a CHEAP apt, while attending grad school. My kitchen 5 times the size of my current kitchen. I think the topic of cooking in a small kitchen could be expanded. It would be interesting to hear from more people who have clever ideas for our minimalist spaces.

Jan. 07 2009 02:02 PM
David from NYC

Great show. Another great resource for all things Italian is a company called Gustiamo (www.gustiamo.com). Saw them featured on the Today Show a little while back for their Saint Eustachio coffee(delicious). They also have great pastas, oils, spreads, and goodies.

Jan. 06 2009 02:11 PM
Greg from Bronx

Chef Carmellini seemed to me to be a boring guest on the show. He sounded vague with his answers and perhaps even slightly disinterested in even being in the studio.

Jan. 06 2009 01:29 PM
Jaime from Queens

Trion Greek supermarket in astoria has all the herbs and spices he is discussing at fabulous prices. And it does make a difference

Jan. 06 2009 01:23 PM
fancy-socks from Manhattan

can't you post some recipes?

Jan. 06 2009 01:17 PM
Kendra from Flushing, NY

I coped with my previous small kitchen in North Bergen by moving to Flushing, Queens! Although I still challenge myself by only allowing a limited number of pots, pans, dishes and burners, while increasing the number of ingredients. It's a humbling way to stick to my tiny cook space roots.

Cheers, I cannot wait to read the book. I really enjoy the pairing of Gwen's writing and Andrew's recipes!

Jan. 06 2009 01:15 PM
Kitchenette Cookware from Brooklyn

As a former restaurant chef, I adore my tiny kitchen where everything is (well) within reach.
But I found that most kitchen cookware, even sold in NYC is too large for most kitchens. I actually started an online store that specializes in cookware with small kitchens. Smaller fits better and saves energy. www.kitchenettecookware.com.

Jan. 06 2009 01:14 PM
Melissa R. from Brooklyn, NY

I live in Greenpoint and can reach everything from the same spot in my kitchen. I love it. I have no problem making fresh pasta in my "spot". I actually get lost when I go to work (at a resaurant) or am inside the kitchen in my culinary school. I find myself running in circles and clearly not being as effective. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that I can cook in my sweatpants singing along with tina turner in my house?

Jan. 06 2009 12:39 PM