A Year in the Mental Institution

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Norah Vincent talks about voluntarily committing herself to a mental institution, and year she then spent as a patient there. Her new memoir is Voluntary Madness.

Event:
Norah Vincent will be speaking and signing books
Tues. Jan. 6 at 7 PM
Barnes and Noble Upper West Side
Broadway at 82nd Street

Laura from New York

Thank you to Ms. Vincent for speaking so courageously about depression. We need more people speaking about depression in the thoughtful and honest way Ms. Vincent did during this segment. Her act of researching and writing this book helps anyone struggling with depression.

Jan. 09 2009 09:43 PM
Ben from NY

Bravo to Ms. Vincent.

I think that the revelations coming out now from people like her will cause a big shift in the future away from the wholesale drugging of people, hopefully toward genuinely helping them and dealing with their problems, instead of saying that it's all in (chemicals in) their heads (utilizing the unproven, manufactured and convenient 'chemical imbalance' theory).

Jan. 06 2009 12:55 PM
PL Hayes from Aberystwyth

One of the issues brought up in this segment reminded me of Marcia Angell and a book review I read recently:

Jan. 06 2009 12:55 PM
Matthew from Brooklyn

I'm a drug skeptic, but in working with mentally ill people I have been amazed by the effectiveness of anti-psychotic agents (as opposed to anti-depressants). Would the guest agree?

Jan. 06 2009 12:33 PM
News today from Brooklyn

My dad was diagnosed yesterday with depression. He was seeing several neurologists for what we feared was early Alzheimer’s disease. After much testing it seems that he is grieving my sister's unexpected death 7 years ago. We were shocked and somewhat relieved (and saddened). I had no idea depression could manifest itself in this way.

Jan. 06 2009 12:32 PM
Jones

As a caregiver as well- I would NEVER recommend a hospital. I wish my spouse was under control but at the time there wasn't another option. Hospitals are the worst facilities for mental health issues. The doctors and nurses were least bit sympathetic.

Jan. 06 2009 12:31 PM
ry

In response to my concern about paid off "expert" psychiatrists and mainstream studies contradicting the effectiveness of popular psychiatric medication, a psychiatrist wrote patient has a "persecutory complex."

Jan. 06 2009 12:28 PM
Tanvi

I can sympathize with Norah. As a caregiver of someone with Bipolar Disorder, it was very hard for me to communicate with Doctors - I always believed that they were looking out for my spouses best interest but that is not always the case. My spouse took the meds so he could get of the facility and I made every effort to help with that effort.

Jan. 06 2009 12:27 PM
Bryan from Brooklyn

FYI, most of the psychopharma meds don't have a known specific cause of why they work. Also, when you go into a hospital you're most likely going to meet a psychiatrist, who practices medicine not psychology.

Jan. 06 2009 12:25 PM