What to Eat on Christmas Morning

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Want tips for what to eat on Christmas morning? Chef Michael LoMonaco of Porter House New York shares his ideas for what to have for breakfast or brunch on Christmas – whether or not you feel like cooking.

Weigh in: What do you eat for breakfast on Christmas morning? Tell us about your favorite traditions or family recipes.

Michael Lomonaco
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

NC from NYC

Made the veg frittata. Excellent! Thanks.

Dec. 28 2008 01:52 PM
Steve from Greenwich Village

Friends,

Panatone, toasted with Butter, and Mexican Chorizo. Eggs on the side with fresh salsa and tortilla chips.

HEAVEN.

Dec. 24 2008 01:55 PM
Mimi Brauch from Bergen County

Christmas breakfast: stollen and coffee or Dutch apple pancake. Neither of those is likely tomorrow. The carpenters renovating my kitchen left at 4 yesterday...and the job's not finished. Half my baking things are spread out on the basement floor! No time to make stollen for Christmas this year. I may do it for New Year's Day.

Dec. 24 2008 01:55 PM
Greg from Bronx

I'm 1/2 Ukrainian and when we celebrate Ukrainian Christmas in January, it's borscht and vareniki (perogies) filled with potato or cabbage. I never tire of this delicious tradition.

Dec. 24 2008 01:52 PM
Denise Manning from Brick, NJ

For my family, I always made French toast made with croissants. Top with fresh strawberries & powdered sugar. Crispy bacon on the side. Got this idea when on vacation at a Key West B&B one summer when the kids were young. Now my son & his wife carry on the tradition, along with my 2 1/2 yr. old grandson.

Dec. 24 2008 01:47 PM
hjs from 11211

i always think of teflon as a poison and would never put it in the oven

Dec. 24 2008 01:45 PM
Headley from Morristown, NJ

My family always toasted up loaves and loaves of cranberry bread for Christmas morning. It almost took the sting out of not being able to open anymore presents until after everyone ate breakfast.

Dec. 24 2008 01:39 PM
danielle from upper west side - the suburbs

for many xmases i would make a meatloaf in the morning so my family and visiting family would have something to eat during the day before the big dinner which would be in the evening. i think i originally chose meatloaf because it was fast and easy to make and everyone loved it. Later they feast on my broccoli souffle (the recipe i submitted to you for thanksgiving!!) Happy Holidays to you and your staff; we listen faithfully everyday.

Dec. 24 2008 01:37 PM
nancy from Montclair, NJ

for the last 20 some odd years i've made Chef Bradley Ogden's Cinnamon Bread Custard with Fresh Berries. It is quite rich and really meant to be a dessert, i believe....but it's once a year and around our house it is known simply as Famous Christmas Morning Bread Custard. you cannot skimp..must use heavy cream and whole milk and eggs. my daughters say they would storm the street in protest if ever i did not make it on Christmas.
yum and merry merry....

Dec. 24 2008 01:37 PM
Cliff Goulet from NYC, Hells Kitchen

Every year my family would have traditional French Canadian meatpies (toutcairre) which was served upon getting home from midnight mass as well as Christmas morning...it's made up of cooked ground pork, potatoes, and onions, cinammon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves baked into pies...they are delicious! (especially drowned in ketchup, the way my brothers and I ate them)...I'm making two of them now!

Dec. 24 2008 01:22 PM
Tom Cooke from Eastchester, NY

For nearly three decades our interfaith (Christian/Jewish) family of four has enjoyed bagels, lox, and coffee cake on Christmas morning. The coffee cake recipe was used for a couple of decades earlier when my wife was growing up.

Dec. 24 2008 12:07 PM
Paul Bryant-Smith from River Edge, New Jersey

When I was a kid, my father used to make corn fritters on Christmas morning, using a recipe that he had gotten from his uncle. Corn fritters, served with plenty of maple syrup, have remained an integral part of my family's Christmas celebration and I'll be setting up the Coleman stove on the front porch and frying up a big batch as soon as the presents are open.

Dec. 24 2008 12:05 PM
Celia from Ditmas Park

I'm going to be doing so much cooking today that I won't want to cook in the morning so I bought a Pizza Rustica to just heat and eat. It's something that I haven't had it years so I hope that it's as good as I remember.

Dec. 24 2008 12:04 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn

Often...candy and chocolates from my stocking! We usually did a "catch and catch can" breakfast...we were all too busy enjoying ourselves to be bothered much about breakfast.

Dec. 24 2008 11:17 AM
up in the mountains from Catskills

My husband and I have toasted bagels with cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion slices, capers and a drizzle of lemon. All bought from Adams Fairacre Farm!! It is such a treat and stays with you for a while and very little clean up...key on Christmas morning. Can't wait for breakfast!

Dec. 24 2008 09:31 AM
joli from Bloomfield NJ

When I was growing up in the 70s, my mom would make Pillsbury "pop n fresh" orange "danish." I would have continued the tradition this year, but sadly I could not find this product on the shelves. I wonder why?

Dec. 24 2008 09:05 AM