"Top Chef" and Culinary Careers

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Have TV shows like "Top Chef" made viewers more – or less – likely to choose careers in the culinary industry? Leonard talks to chef Tom Colicchio and the French Culinary Institute’s founder Dorothy Hamilton.

Tom Colicchio and Dorothy Hamilton

Martin Parker from Montclair, NJ

On yesterdays show Mr. Colicchio mentioned a charity that looking to serve meals to children. Could you please send me the web site for this charity.

Thanks.

Dec. 17 2008 02:12 PM
B. C. from Manhattan

Just reading Frank Brunis article in the Times would contradict these two tooting their horns. Dorothy is annoying

Dec. 16 2008 07:41 PM
Bob from New Jersey

Please!!!! My brother has been a chef for about 22 years. He graduated from the CIA and went to Europe for further training. He told me that Restaurant business is in a real slump these days. He just hopes that his job will survive.

Dec. 16 2008 02:49 PM
Larry Love

The ads for Top Chef scare the bejezzus out of me, nevermind the show! But Tom's book 'Think like a Chef' has been a great source for me.

Dec. 16 2008 01:32 PM
john from East Village

Momofuku the hottest restaurant? Maybe for the new transplanted suburbanites.

Dec. 16 2008 01:31 PM
Arthur Hainline from New Hyde Park

My wife and I love top chef. She is in medical school and I always tell her that when she finishes her residency, I am going to retire and train to be a chef. I cook much more and much more adventurously at home for my wife and for guests because of the show.

Dec. 16 2008 01:26 PM
Jennifer K. from New York City

I worked at Craft for 2 years (2005-07), and worked at two other 3 star restaurants; I was ALWAYS treated fairly and generously.

Thank you Craft for a rich experience.

Jennifer.

Dec. 16 2008 01:26 PM
Paula from Brooklyn

will Top Chef ever give a chance to experienced older chef's , they have dreams too, I personally worked in the industry for oiver 20 years.
Why not give the chef's in there 40' and 50's a chance to win the money.

Dec. 16 2008 01:25 PM
db from nyc

... you have to be fresh out of your 1M finance job to be able to afford to work in the restaurant industry!!! Let's hope you saved last year's super-bonus!

Can you really afford to transition to a $9 an hour job, mid-career?

Why don't we talk about the reality of racking-up a huge student loan debt in the thousands and end-up working at minimum wage for years.

The food industry is not unlike the sports industry; one in a million get a frying pan endorsement.

Dec. 16 2008 01:25 PM
Brett Carneiro from New York, NY

Chef Colicchio - I would love to apprentice in one of your NYC kitchens, have any room for an aspiring cook who doesn't have enough money for the FCI?

Dec. 16 2008 01:23 PM
Barbara Hanson from Manhattan

I was horrified to hear the cavalier comment that only "the strong and the best" will survive. That is precisely what is wrong...the attitude toward mom-and-pops and neighborhood joints. East Village just lost Five Roses, a wonderful old pizzeria, due to a massive rent increase. It was located, ironically, next door to Momofuko Ko. I'd take a good pizzeria over pretentious nonsense any time, but apparently I'm not going to have that choice for much longer.

Dec. 16 2008 01:17 PM
aulaire from valley cottage, NY

Having worked as a restaurant pastry chef in the past, I watch Top Chef and the other shows on this topic with glee and the occasional belly laugh. It's a brutal business! If you're ready to deal with tremendous pressure, personality disorders, and scrubbing down hot stoves with wire brushes at midnight, it's a perfect career choice.

Dec. 16 2008 01:14 PM
john from chelsea

If this recession brings down commercial rents (as it should) it may be the best thing that has happened to NY restaurants in the last 5 years. The cost of a decent location had become prohibitive.

Dec. 16 2008 01:14 PM