Juliana Hatfield Grows Up

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Singer/songwriter Juliana Hatfield performs live on the show. She became an alterna-rock star in the early 1990s after she left the Blake Babies to launch her solo career. She looks back at the ups and downs of her 20-year career in a new memoir, When I Grow Up. She also has a new album out called "How to Walk Away."

Juliana Hatfield

B. Collins from Manhattan

Dont knock Britney unless you want to knock Coca-cola. These things work in larger scales and if nobody bought it , it wouldnt last. She is the ultimate succesful artist with a good PR angle. Madonna has been doing it for eternity and it still works. Cut to Juliana with her broken nail and a song written about it... shes playing to your market and it works.

Dec. 05 2008 04:18 AM
Pat from KC

Well, if sad at the current state of art in music, tune into the foundation of recorded arts at Grammy Awards and I'm sure you'll be rewarded with the Britney Spears comeback and some Pussycat Dolls.

Art is never going to be completely original. Everyone has influences and the human condition is universal. None of us are inventing anything new. All are individual variations on those themes and, if lucky, it's good enough to spark emotion and be memorable enough to stand the test of time.

Juliana gets a A for effort and going her own way. By managing her own music, at least she doesn't have a big studio telling her who she should be and how to package it. I wish we heard more from artists of this level.

Dec. 05 2008 02:39 AM
Phil from Rochester, NH

"Wrong again"? Well golly... no wonder people like you have to tell ignoramuses like me what is good, and what is newsworthy or interesting. I'm glad that the world is filled with the likes of your opinion. I am happy for you.

Seriously, though, art IS subjective, and always will be, no matter how many people or institutions attempt to define it or sell it. It is the very reason that more people and new institutions that deal with art in some capacity continue to crop up... To fill in the void left by... well, by my lack of good taste; haha.

As far as this interview... I don't think she (or many similarly misconstrued musicians, artists, etc.) plotted this or any interview as a means to seek pity. Like most interviews, Juliana Hatfield merely answered questions; and made chat. That's it. The end. I think people look too deeply into interviews. They are interesting (or not), and no more. Certainly, it winds up BEING PR, by its very nature, but I bet very few artists view it through that lens. They just want to be heard, like anyone else. Now, to say that she or anyone doesn't DESERVE to be there... that's very elitist.

Of course, I could be wrong... I have been twice so far, haha.

Dec. 04 2008 05:09 PM
B. Collins from Manhattan

The part when she said she was anorexic made me listen to her music with that in mind and compelled me to like it. Theres a guy probably doing a soft shoe with a dixie cup filled with change on a corner some where downtown whos got a story id love to hear more than hers. Ill say however she can turn a little melody out but I agree with you, she does definitely need an angle or association to make it happen. I listen all the same , Leonard is the hands down interviewer of all time.

Dec. 04 2008 05:06 PM
Mike V from Los Angeles, CA

wow, bagging on Juliana Hatfield? That's intense. Sounds like jealousy to me. She's been there, done that. Seriously, no, she isnt that different from alot of people which makes her wonderful. And being a professional musician B.Collins you should know that you MUST PR your stuff to make new fans, to sustain a lifestyle. Dont listen if you dont like it

Dec. 04 2008 03:07 PM
B. Collins

Wrong again. People, as well as institutions are in the buisiness of defining art, crtiquing, selling etc. The problem i have with Juliana is the problem I have with many performers of this ilk and that is they are over self consumed with themselves and forget that art , music stands alone and doesnt need a set up, angle to succeed.
I am a musician and find her music nothing out of the ordinary. Nor does her story sound like anything I havent heard . If that isnt enough she complains about the rigors of playing in cold and hot places. Wow , what shes endured and still is able to be here today and talk about it. Leonard was good to her for giving her a pass.

Dec. 04 2008 11:28 AM
Phil from Rochester, NH

That... is funny.

My point is not that Juliana Hatfield is a musical genius or anything else that might qualify her as "high art", but rather a talented artist that need not do anything other than write with pure, unadulterated heart to be considered a.) worthy of listeners, and b.) worthy of an interview on a radio program. The prerequisite of an artist is quite simple: do what you do. That's it. The fact that you don't like her stuff, while very pertinent to you, is not all that pertinent to anyone else who is interested in this earnest singer/songwriter. People don't define art for you, do they? So please reciprocate, and don't define it for them.

Dec. 04 2008 03:34 AM
B. Collins

In the Phillipines they consider spam a delicacy, I now understand what folk in New Hampshire find as high art in Susan Vega soundalikes.

Dec. 04 2008 02:40 AM
Phil from Rochester, NH

Can we get with some comments that actually make real points and not whining about their subjective idea of "art"?
And Leonard SOUNDS like a guidance counselor.

Dec. 03 2008 01:58 PM
B. Collins

What is this girl doing on the show? What a bone throw. Can we get with some artists who are actually making real art and not whining to leonard like hes a school guidance councelor.

Dec. 03 2008 04:31 AM
Suki Shackelford from Tribeca

It pains me to listen to Julianna Hatfield. I mean that in the best possible way. Her words are so full of sincerity and emotion I can barely tolerate it. Bravo, Julianna. Bravo.

Dec. 02 2008 01:35 PM