Please Explain: Undecided Voters

Friday, October 31, 2008

Please Explain is all about what keeps voters undecided until the very last minute. And if you’re one of those undecided voters…we’d love to hear from you. Tell us why you haven’t made up your mind, and what it will take for you to do so by Nov. 4.

Dr. Joshua Gold is Assistant Professor at the Department of Neuroscience at the University of Pennsylvania; Dr. Samuel Wang is Associate Professor of Molecular Biology and Neuroscience at Princeton University, and author of Welcome to Your Brain. We're also joined by Carroll Doherty from the PEW Research Center for the People and the Press.

Carroll Doherty and Dr. Joshua Gold

AM from NJ

I am undecided and fairly certain that I won't vote - at least not for a candidate. I will most likely cast a "vote-less" vote which will express my displeasure with both parties and with government as a whole. I feel like a vote for either major party candidate is an admission that we are ok with our current government and the two-party system. These people are worthless politicians who say different things to different people and understand next to nothing about what they pretend to have viable solutions for. This country will go in the wrong direction with either candidate as we spiral towards the growth-less entitlement-laden european nanny state model. Just my opinion I guess but I'm more than willing to work for every dime that I have.

Nov. 02 2008 08:57 PM
Jim Martinez from New Jersey

I voted for Nader twice and I liked John McCain in 2000. I was initiallly unimpressed by Obama but over the course of the last 20 months. I have grown to like him. I don't like the way McCain caved into the far right and the race is too close to vote for Nader. The republicans are scaring me these days.

Oct. 31 2008 01:59 PM
TBF from NJ

I am a decidedly "decided" voter, but an observation about my indecision during primary betw'n Obama & Clinton. And that is, that I was swayed by each conversation, or media source, b/c I had reached an impasse in my mind. usu I am very independent thinker and being undecided made me very dependent on the opinions and points other raised.

Oct. 31 2008 01:46 PM
Linda from Fairfield County, CT

Last night I expressed my frustration over "undecided" voters to my husband, only to have him tell me he is undecided. I was shocked, because he is an executive who is brilliant and always makes intelligent and swift decisions.

He explained that while we both know that at our high income level the McCain/Bush economic strategies are in our favor, he also leans toward Obama (as I do) for providing more solid support for most of the population.

The tough sticking point for him: he is running a sizable company with many employees at several locations around the country, so will his employees be better served by the McCain/Bush whose pro-business position which makes it easier to make the company profitable, thus keep his people employed? Or will an Obama plan which is better for the individual employees but more tricky for the corporation to navigate be beneficial long-term.

Because these people's jobs are in his hands, he has to try to actually calculate the differences between what may trickle down, vs. what will build up from the workforce.

If we only think about ourselves, we are willing to pay slightly higher taxes for a better overall country. The trick is deciding which method keeps the company strong enough. Fortunately, he's smart enough to work it out, whichever way the election goes.

Oct. 31 2008 01:17 PM
eligit from astoria

i have to add:

that recent piece on the daily show (featuring samantha bee) about undecided voters was one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

needless to say....almost NONE of the undecided voters are trying to decide whether to vote for nader or obama. that is an exceptional situation and not one that will decide the election...imho.

Oct. 31 2008 12:56 PM
Dennis from Greenpoint, Brooklyn

I am undecided between Nader and Obama. I voted for Nader twice before but I can't imagine McCain in office. Nader has always brought attention to issues that really matter and Obama has picked some of them up but will he really follow through on his promises. Its obvious Nader would never win but the issues being addressed is the winning result and I'm not sure Obama will really offer change.

Oct. 31 2008 12:49 PM