The Value of Arts Education

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

At a time when many arts programs in public schools are being cut, we look into whether arts education can help disadvantaged students improve their academic performance and their lives. Leonard talks to actor Rosie Perez, educator Herbert Kohl, and Tom Oppenheim, artistic director of the Stella Adler School of Acting.

Event:
Rosie Perez, Herbert Kohl, and Tom Oppenheim will be participating in a panel discussion
"Art and Educational Justice"
Monday, October 27 at 7:00 pm
Cooper Union’s Great Hall
Tickets and more info here

Weigh in: How did the arts education you received in school as a kid affect your life?

Herbert Kohl, Tom Oppenheim and Rosie Perez
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

robert forman from Hoboken

As a Fulbright scholar with the Huichol Indians in Northern Mexico the dogs and pigs eat the waste and it all seemed to work.
In the city's I found the sanitation more of a problem

Oct. 21 2008 01:52 PM
Dick Cameron from No. Bergen,NJ

I was fortunate enough to attend primary school in the sixties and early seveties when arts education was alive and more or less well. Teachers and administrators fostered in me the notion that creative expression was not only a civil right but gave a context to the often wild and imaginative interpretions I made of the world around me. Without this my intellect and spirit would have surely languished in a sea of boredom, isolation and complacency.

Oct. 21 2008 01:49 PM
susy from manhattan

I'm really enjoying hearing these opinions. Creativity does foster pride...and I think Rosie Perez is making great, overarching points to that effect.

Oct. 21 2008 12:51 PM
Mr. T from NYC

Oct. 21 2008 12:45 PM
David Jenkins from Great Barrington MA

As someone who was educated in the British public education system - I really resented Art teachers who injected very liberal cultural and political ideas in their teaching in order to cultivate their view of political & cultural consciousness. I felt cheated later in life when I realized I understood NOTHING about the classic arts. I think Art IS often taught as a veil from political ideas, expression, especially anti-establishment views which many contemporary artists like to promote. One of the guests who is an educator seems to really reflect that approach to teaching art

Oct. 21 2008 12:38 PM
Erica from Bear Mountain, NY

I was just listening to your pledge drive in which someone commented that WNYC helps its listeners learn about "the world as it is" and to think about "the world as it could be."

I truly believe that the arts are the key to creating this new world. How can we imagine a better world if we haven't practiced using our imaginations through painting or creative writing? How can we work together to create a better world without the collaborative practices we learn in theatre or choral singing? How can we persist through difficult times without the discipline and resourcefulness we learn by studying all forms of arts techniques?

Without imagination, there is no such thing as innovation, no such thing as progress, no such thing as hope.

Arts education (especially when explicitly integrated across the full curriculum) is essential to giving students tools to create the world as they wish it to be.

Oct. 21 2008 12:26 PM