New American Judaism

Monday, September 22, 2008

Philanthropist Edgar Bronfman is calling for a reinvigorated American Judaism; he says a more celebratory and hopeful religious life will draw and retain young Jews. He’s the author of Hope, Not Fear.

Events:
Edgar Bronfman will be speaking with Charlie Rose
At the 92nd St. Y
Mon., Sept. 22 at 8:00 pm
Tickets and more info here

Edgar M. Bronfman will be in a discussion with Matthew Bronfman and Beth Zasloff
Thursday, October 23, 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Reception and book signing to follow
At the Jewish Community Center
334 Amsterdam Avenue, at 76th Street
More info here

Edgar M. Bronfman and Irshad Manji will be in a discussion
Presented by the Moral Courage Project at the NYU Wagner School of Public Service
Wed., Oct. 29 at 7:00 pm
At the Great Hall at Cooper Union
7 East 7th St.

Edgar Bronfman
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

SuzanneNYC from Upper West Side

One way to know if Mr. Bronfman is truly a feminist is if he pays his female staff exactly would he would pay a male staff. That's how you would know he truly values and respects women.

Sep. 22 2008 01:58 PM
the truth from Atlanta/New York

Interesting.....*eavesdropping*

Sep. 22 2008 01:54 PM
Anthony from Brooklyn

Is a more segregated, more orthodox society (perhaps even more fundamentalist)- whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim - the direction we really want to head towards?

Or should we not appreciate marriage of different religions, cultures, and races that has helped alleviate the "us vs. them"?

Sep. 22 2008 01:45 PM
David from Yorkville area of Manhattan

Jewish Bias toward "half Jews"...

If Barack Obama is black, with one parent white and one black, than I am Jewish. While I am officially Protestant, as was one parent, I am an ardent Zionist, that is, a very committed supporter of Israel.

So, can I advertise on "J-Date"? Fuggedaboudit.

There is more than one way to define what it means to be a Jew. Half my family is Jewish, the other half is a diffuse mix of early 29th century Methodist and Quaker immigrants from the British Isles.

And no, I intentionally did not identify which parent was Jewish.

Sep. 22 2008 01:40 PM
Alice

Excuse Mr. Bronfman, but, on behalf of my Jewish nieces and nephews, could you see your way clear to loan me some money so I don't lose my house to foreclosure?

Sep. 22 2008 01:36 PM
Paul from Ridgewood NJ

Old fable:

A man was walking down the street with his friend the hunchback.

"You know, I used to be Jewish", said the fellow.

The hunchback replied "Sure. I used to be a hunchback".

Sep. 22 2008 01:32 PM