Writing About America, State by State

Thursday, September 18, 2008

In the depths of the Great Depression, thousands of American writers found work under the New Deal’s Federal Writers Project. Find out about a new project updating that model. Matt Weiland and Sean Wilsey are co-editors of State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America; John Hodgman is a contributor.

Events:
Screening/Panel Discussion/Signing
September 18, 2008 at 7 pm
NYU Cantor Film Center
6 East 8th Street, Theater 102

Panel Discussion/Signing books
September 23, 2008 at 7 pm
Barnes and Noble in Tribeca
97 Warren St

John Hodgman, Matt Weiland and Sean Wilsey
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

jlk from Brooklyn, NY

Hey Chuck,

Get a life. And figure out how to properly post comments on this page. We realize that you're excited to pick on someone with an opinion different from your own, but we don't need to read your stuff twice. Once is more than enough.

Thanks!

Sep. 18 2008 01:07 PM
Chuck Renaud from Brooklyn

Sarah, get a life.

Write your own book.

Sep. 18 2008 12:40 PM
Chuck Renaud from Brooklyn

Sarah, get a life.

Write you own book.

Sep. 18 2008 12:38 PM
jlk from Brooklyn, NY

I agree, Sarah. This sounds pretty white, though it sounds like Jhumpa Lahiri and "an Iranian writer" are included.

My comment is this: what is this man talking about when he describes "nerds"? I self-identify as a nerd, but I certainly don't feel at home with panini-grilling, wine expert, bald eagle enthusiasts. Maybe he got the words mixed up... though I don't think that "nerd" and "yuppie" sound much alike.

Sep. 18 2008 12:38 PM
Chuck Renaud from Brooklyn

John Hodgman makes me proud to be from Northampton, MA.

Lesbianville USA!

Sep. 18 2008 12:37 PM
Sarah from Soho

Are there any minority writers in this book? Sounds pretty white to me.

Sep. 18 2008 12:34 PM
Chuck Renaud from Brooklyn

John Hodgman make me proud to be from Northampton, MA.

Lesbianville USA!