Open Phones: Watching the Conventions

Thursday, September 04, 2008

We want to know if you’ve been watching the Democratic and Republican conventions. Are you equally interested in both? Have you learned much from them, and has anything you’ve seen or heard in Denver and St. Paul changed your mind about the candidates? What have been the best and worst moments? Call us at 212-433-WNYC (212-433-9692) or leave a comment on our showpage at wnyc.org.

Bob from New Haven

Palin's crack that Obama is more concerned that terrorist suspects be read their rights than protecting Americans is a gross distortion and an attempt to paint Obabma as "soft". Her own running mate, McCain (and most of the US military) was disgusted by the CIA's program of "black sites", "enhanced interrogation proceedures" and legal limbo created by Cheney / Addington's program for handling unlawful enemy combatants. The lawlessness that has eminated from the VP's office over the past 8 years will forever be a stain on our country's honor. Obama may not have mentioned "victory" but she never uttered the words "Bush" or "Cheney". Is she ashamed of something? I know I am and I didn't even vote for them.

Sep. 05 2008 12:16 PM
Joe from New Haven

American Women:
Don't let the 5 kids, good looks and spunk fool you!!! Sara Palin is a "queen bee". Her dismissive sarcasm and superbly honed "put down artist" skills were on full display at the convention. You were bullied and made to feel like sh***t by these people all through middle and high school. Please, please, please don't vote one into the VP spot!!!

Sep. 05 2008 11:26 AM
CB

@57 Kaye:

The difference between you and that caller is that you can articulate real, legitimate concerns about Obama, while that caller just had a vague "gut feeling" about him. She wasn't worried about his experience level, his policies, his values or ideals, just that there was ... "something." Pretty obvious what that "something" was, in her case.

Sep. 04 2008 01:50 PM
vladimir segal from livingston, New Jersey

I'm a liberal and an emigree from Soviet Union (came to US in 1989). I watched and listen to both conventions (as I did in all four previous elections I was able to watch). While in USSR, I have been following the Communist Party Congresses. Visually (the grandiosity, fanfare and stict adherence to the script) both conventions are very similar to these congresses, while Republicans are closer to Communists in their unanimity, their hatred for "others", and ideological fanaticism. But in one regard, Republicans are much worse than Comminists, and that is in their complete disregard for facts and their readiness (and willingness) to use terms like "patriotism", "victory", "good and evil" to promote power and money for the few, while persuading the rest not only to accept the staus quo, but to be ready to defend it fropm "others".
As far as your coverage of the conventions is concerned, my main problem is your attempts to keep it "balanced". I'm sure you know that there's no balance between arrogant igonorance and search for reality...
I appreciate, of course, the difficulty of doing the right thing in the ideological environment of this country, but I don't believe it's necessary to give in...

Best wishes,
Vladimir Segal,
Consulting Engineer, Ph.D. (physics)

Sep. 04 2008 01:49 PM
Richard Williams from Larchmont, NY

I am a registered republican who votes third party for state and federal offices. I have never been satisfied with just two parties "representing" the people. Let's get with it so that the interests of "We The People" are not ignored.

Sep. 04 2008 01:32 PM
Janice from NYC

# 56 - I was thinking the same thing as I watched last night. Why are the Republicans acting as if they are the underdogs? Half the time I wondered if they realized that they were actually at the Republican (and not Democratic) convention, the way they were talking about needing a change in Washington. Do they not realize that they have been responsible for all the things they were crying about last night?

Sep. 04 2008 01:31 PM
Chris from Darien, CT

I'm a big Obama supporter, altho definitely in Hillary's demographic. I'm watching the RNC convention and it makes me cringe. Giuliani sounds like a thug and Palin like Dr. Laura Schlesinger.

Sep. 04 2008 01:26 PM
Janice from NYC

#52 - I couldn't agree with you more! Can you imagine Palin taking her "pit bull-hockey mom" attitude overseas to represent us in foreign affairs? Haven't we had enough of that ignorant, bullying behavior over the last 8 years?

Sep. 04 2008 01:26 PM
steve from nyc

Watching Guiliani was difficult to say the least. That evil chuckle was not helpful. Wanted to see her but couldn't last through Rudy. More PUMA nonsense by a caller with a "gut" feeling. Republicans should only fight all terrorist as much as they hate democrats. The description of McCain's torture in Vietnam has horrific and terrifying. That raises real concerns about the wisdom of turning over the military to his command. There will always be "dangerous times" as long as citizens accept the "conservative" myths such as the unexplained events of 9-11.

Sep. 04 2008 01:24 PM
Kaye from Manhattan

I disagree with the previous commenters that the female caller's "gut feeling" can be attributed to racism. Maybe it can, but as a BLACK woman, I too have similar reservations about Obama.

My reservation in short is due to: I don't know what kind of politician he will be when he is in the white house. All I know is what he promises.

My reservations stem from issues like Obama's senate voting record being very scant, Obama having no executive or foreign relations experience (i.e. running a large scale organization, with disagreeing factions and members with special interests), and Obama not having actively participated in crafting any legislation on the issues he is hammering away at such as health care and the economy.

Bush Jr, was the same type of "unknown" man with a scant political history and look at the disaster.

When I listened to Obama's speech I had no inkling of where he would get the money to fund education and adjust tax rates for middle income people. I did not get a detailed plan for how he would make health care affordable.

He is visionary I will say that, and I will probably vote for him, but I don't believe his pie in the sky speeches for a second.

Sep. 04 2008 01:21 PM
Gary from Port Washington

I have been watching the Republican's running against Washington, put isn't this schizophrenic; since 1994 they have been a majority in Congress and since 2000 they have controlled all branches of Congress. Therefore aren't they running against themselves? They also have the theme of Country First, but have they not been the party of special interest and self-interest. It is like Sarah Palin who is now against the bridge to no where when she was first for the bridge to no where. She is against ear marks, yet as mayor hired lobbyist to secure ear marks for Alaska. How stupid do they think we are? And I love the fact they she is for teaching creationism in the class room, is anti-abortion under any circumstances and was against putting the polar bear on the endangered species act and is against teaching sex education in schools and she has a pregnant daughter, but we don't hear anything about that. I thought I was watch Pat Buchanan at the 1992 Republican Convention taking us back to the culture wars.

Sep. 04 2008 01:18 PM
geegee from bklyn

Don't include me in your racist agenda, caller. That is racism as its finest because she's in complete denial of it. Just say it. SAY WHY YOU DON'T WANT TO VOTE for Barack, say it! And step over to the other side and then see where you end up when all your rights as an American "liberal" stripped and torn from you.
I found Palin's speech a MEAN and CYNICAL version of a Stop N Shop commercial. I love how she actually said, "Russia and Iraq" to get herself established on the WORLD stage.
AND really WHO is Rudy Giuliani? He has used Sept 11 to step to the highest step on the political stage in the US. Someone please get him off the stage-we need that big hook to drag him off.

Sep. 04 2008 01:14 PM
Hera from New Jersey

That woman who is from NYC, well-educated, liberal, and in her 40s - I wish that Leonard has calld her on that gut feeling and is it connected to Barack being black/biracial? Leonard was too nice to her. She has racist views. Those liberal white women whose idea of feminism is about having all the power and privileges that white mean have and decide to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket because Palin is a white woman are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Read the Republican platform. I can't believe that these white women are not being called on their racist views. BTW, Barack is a Christian and a member of a mainline Protestant denomination that I am a member of - the United Church of Christ which has roots going all the back to the Congregational Church, the Pilgrims who arrived in Plymouth, John Winthrop who gave that famous sermon about the city upon the hill, and is the first Protestant denomination in the US to ordain a (white) woman in 1853.

Sep. 04 2008 01:13 PM
Steve from Queens

These conventions and all the smoke and mirror tactics of the two factions pretending to be in opposition is, for lack of a better word, hilarious. The non issues that the politicians and pundits/commentators bring up time and time again are bogus. They are emotional issues aimed at pulling people apart, drawing a line and causing an arguement with no resolution. Agent of change? Maverick? The established false left-right paradigm is paper thin. Look at who is behind the candidates, follow the money and watch as the rules to restrict government become the laws to restrict personal liberties. Where is the coverage of third or fourth party candidates? Why will they not be allowed at the debates? Why is public tax money being used for these people to throw a party for themselves? Isn't there a financial problem? Aren't there two wars going on? Oh wait, a teenager got pregnant, that's more important. Isn't there a National ID card working its way thru legislation? Didn't the FISA bill just shred the 4th Amendment? Oh wait, someone bumped fists with someone else, that's more important.
Wake up.

Sep. 04 2008 01:13 PM
Alec from Brooklyn

Leonard said something to the effect that Sarah Palin's speech dispelled concerns that she was ready to become the commander-in-chief - I could not disagree more vehemenently. She certainly ADDRESSED those concerns, but the fact of the matter is that the story on her hasn't changed at all despite the fact that she gave a good attack-dog speech - she still has minimal experience, none of which pertains to national security or international relations. She is singularly unqualified to negotiate with world leaders. Moreover, national security in the 21st century doesn't simpy mean dealing with military issues - it means dealing with climate change, cyberterrorism, and extreme weather (eg, Katrina). Again, Mrs. Palin is wholly unqualified to deal with these things.

Additionally, I wish the media would focus more on the fact that she is a creationist - she believes that the world is 6000 years old. She wholly discards the fields of archaeology, geology, climatology, and phsycics.

Finally, the media would do well to remind the American public that the President's job is to "preserve and protect" the Constituion of the United States of America. One of the 4 candidates has a background as a television newscaster. One of the others has been a Constitutional Law professor at one of the most revered law schools in the nation for 12 years.

Mrs. Palin gave a good attack dog speech. Let's not read too much in to that.

Sep. 04 2008 01:10 PM
Ken from Soho

I watched most of the WNYC coverage of the Democratic Convention. It was interesting and informative, and in fact I was sorry some speeches were not covered. This week I only watched small portions of the Republican Convention. Giuiani's speech was really annoying, so I turned it off in the middle. Last night Palin's speech was almost as bad; after a while I first turned the sound off, then switched the channel to the 10 pm news on channel 11 (as the major networks were still carrying Palin (a real Pain).

Sep. 04 2008 01:09 PM
Annette from New Jersey

re. the Hillary supporter who can not vote for Obama -
if Obama does win, Hillary might be asked to fill an important Cabinet post. Isn't that a good reason for Hillary supporters to vote for Obama? I think Hillary would be excellent as Secretary of State!!!!

Sep. 04 2008 01:08 PM
jenny akdag from nj

the caller from manhattan who calls herself a liberal democrat but is basing her choice on an intuition about Obama's charachter as opposed to the issues ... The fact that a democratic majority, including in the white house, would better insure a future where Roe is upheld, where creationism is not taught in public schools, etc all of the issues that define liberal democrat..... Aren't these issues ultimately the priority? And not the likability of one person over another?
If I were picking up my child from school or was at an event and over heard women like me saying something like that I would do my best to convince them otherwise. The caller made 40 something liberal manhattan moms seem base and shallow .

Sep. 04 2008 01:06 PM
June Sidwell Fenniman from Mt. Vernon, NY

I'm a women in my 40's and I can't believe what I heard! How can she possible entertain the idea of voting for McCain?

I'm beside myself! If they win, what will we do!

Stop the madness!

Sep. 04 2008 01:05 PM
Robbie from Brooklyn

Harmon #40, this is hilarious. You are a hoot!! I spilled my coffee reading this line you wrote:
" . . mitt romney who is so patently phony that he's hilarious. he's like some freakish combination of william shatner, a game show host and hitler. yeesh."

Have a great day. Thanks for the laughter.

Sep. 04 2008 01:05 PM
JEZ from 10039

what i dont agree with are those saying that obama and biden are inferior in executive skills to palin bc theyre legislators and she has experience as a mayor and governor. isn't mccain ONLY a legislator as well? what executive experience does he have?
i am so saddened that the republicans have turned this into even more of a popularity race than it already was. palin is very appealing for many reasons, none of them including her experience or vision, so far anyway. the speech was hard-hitting last night, but said nothing about what she uniquely has to offer the country.

Sep. 04 2008 01:05 PM
anonyme from nyc

also i htought "faux redneck" - say what you will about redneck culture - they are not big on sarcasm.

Sep. 04 2008 01:04 PM
eva

I don't even know if it was a racism issue with that caller - I think it might have been a religious issue. Or a class/educational issue.
To be frank, I feel a little unnerved by how accomplished the Obamas are. And I come from a family of doctors and lawyers (and sheet metal workers and restaurant workers). So, I can understand how people might feel intimidated or uncomfortable with them. But come on, we can't have another "I wanna have a billybeer with that guy..." election.
I wanna president who I don't want to have a drink with. I wanna president who's too busy to have a drink with me. You know what I mean? A guy who is dealing with the deficit instead of clearing brush in Texas.

Sep. 04 2008 01:03 PM
anonyme from nyc

I agree with the last caller - there is something especially vicious about Palin's mocking tones - like a mean girl in HS - that is beyond uncalled for and utterly insubstantial if not patently false information - For pete's sake she was a sportscaster! She can read a speech written by a rove acolyte on a teleprompter! She is exploiting her family (can you imagine being a teenager and having your love life used like that? I was mortified of beign caught in teh wrong color! The kids were even color coordinated! New nickname I heard today for you "Caribou Barbie" - I think she's scary.

Sep. 04 2008 01:03 PM
pauline schneider from katonah, NY

I have to agree with all the comments about the "gut feeling" that makes some voters not want to vote for an intelligent, nice black man. Racism is alive and well in USA. Last night it was a sea of white folks with a sprinkling of color, those rare and precious deluded folks who think republicans can do anything for them.

Sep. 04 2008 01:03 PM
Josh Banks from Brooklyn

This I don't get. all these Hillary women who won't vote for Obama. What are you going to do instead? Vote for McCain? Not only is his ticket completely diametrically opposed to Hillary, but they want to role back abortion rights, gun control, education budgets. Now, I don't like Obama either, but let's get real. I'll be damned if I let these hillbilly republicans ease drop on my phones and privatize social security. Are these women serious? Would they really rather McCain. Hillary spent all her energy trying to keep him out of office, why would you want to put him in. That's a betrayal of the Hillary you support in a nutshell.

Sep. 04 2008 01:01 PM
harmon michaels from jersey city, nj

i listened to the convention last night.
i'm a liberal and thought most of it was a load of crap. but i thought giuliani and palin made their repulsive points effectively. huckabee was the best speaker overall. again, i don't agree with much of anything the guy says but there's no denying his abilities. that hokey little story he told about the kids and the desks was very well-done. corny as hell but the guy really seems sincere. unlike mitt romney who is so patently phony that he's hilarious. he's like some freakish combination of william shatner, a game show host and hitler. yeesh.
and it would not be an exaggeration on my part to say that the woman who talked about the creepy feeling she has about obama made me want to vomit. i'm a liberal and find obama to be a boring centrist democrat sellout. i may vote for him, i may not. depends on what the polls look like in november. if my state is in play, i'll probably vote for obama. but people who talk that way about obama are utterly disgusting. they may not even KNOW that they are, but i know. racists.

Sep. 04 2008 01:00 PM
eva

#36,
you're spot on.
I liked Biden's response, it was classy, and he kept the gloves on. We can totally get these guys on the issues alone, forget her family, even though she herself made it front and center, it's an issues election, or as close as we'll get to one in this tv age
Right on to the caller Lenore
p.s. Hi Mc!

Sep. 04 2008 12:59 PM
Chris from Jersey

I could've just posted that above comment. My thoughts exactly.

If you're a "highly educated liberal democrat" and you just "get some gut feeling that something is wrong with Obama" that "gut feeling" is your racism bubbling up.

Sep. 04 2008 12:58 PM
Richard Grayson from Brooklyn

I think I can define the vague "something" or "feeling" causing white liberal Democratic women like the recent Manhattan caller to refuse to vote for Obama.

It's the color of his skin. Simple as that. They'll deny it up and down, but they're racists.

Sep. 04 2008 12:56 PM
William from Manhattan

For me, the media's irrational exuberance over Sarah Palin's address was the low point of both conventions. Since when does nonstop juvenile sarcasm become "electrifying"?

In 2000, Big Oil and the Republican party sold us a presidential candidate straight out of Animal House, now they seem poised to pull it off again with a vice presidential candidate straight out of Mean Girls.

Let's grow up!

Sep. 04 2008 12:56 PM
Robbie from Brooklyn

RE: That caller who is convinced there's something wrong with Obama because she has a feeling in her gut. And all her friends and associates ( although they are loathe to mention it) feel the same way. Racism doesn't need a reason. Any excuse will do. But, of course, then again nobody's a racist. Pleeeze. Give me a break.

Sep. 04 2008 12:56 PM
jessica from manhattan

The woman who says she has a gut feeling that something's wrong with Obama, that his religious afilliations make her nervous - this is called racism. It's ok now to say that we're afraid of someone because they might be a Muslim, but it's not ok to say we're afraid because they're black. I am a white woman and have sensed a certain amount of thinly veiled fear among other white people, and it scares me. I though we had come further than this.

Sep. 04 2008 12:55 PM
Nico from Brooklyn

Can someone explain to me how you could be a swing voter at this point? I shoot moose and I have 15 kids, but even with that it's clear, it's gotta be Barack.

Sep. 04 2008 12:55 PM
Janice from NYC

Regarding the current caller who believes that many disenfranchised women Dems won't vote for Obama - I think that may be true. However, don't allow yourself to be fooled. Sarh Palin IS NOT a replacement for Hillary Clinton. And by putting her on the ticket, all John McCain did was show how out of touch he is with reality. Does he really believe that women are so ignorant that we will simply vote for any woman? Are women so insignificant to him that he thinks you can just replace one with another? Sarah Palin is not feisty. She is obnoxious and hostile, and is little more than the political equivalent of a shock jock. It seems she has read one too many Coulter books, and may actually believe the Republican hype.

Sep. 04 2008 12:55 PM
mc from manhattan

I agree with #18/20. My gut feeling is she has a separate agenda... and she's racist and not from Manhattan.

Sep. 04 2008 12:55 PM
anonymous from park slope

That gut feeling the previous caller refers to is rascism -- probably not even recognized by her as such. This will be Obama's biggest challenge as otherwise left-leaning people find numerous issues (economy, Iraq, Israel, etc.) to mask subconscious inability to pull the lever for an African-American

Sep. 04 2008 12:55 PM
Chris from NYC

Leonard: The 'something there' for women like the last caller, the one who can't bring herself to vote for Obama, isn't anything mysterious, secret or new...it's called RACISM.

I love how a women who calls herself liberal, can find 'something' attractive in a feminist-insult like Palin. But then hey...it's likely that same ineffable quality described above.

Sep. 04 2008 12:54 PM
w

Leonard, you were too kind to that caller who distrusts Obama based on "a gut feeling."

Sep. 04 2008 12:54 PM
Betty Arce from Bronx, New York

I am a registered Democrat and an Obama supporter. I watched the Democratic convention on CNN; I also watched some of last night's Republic convention and was not impressed by Palin's speech, and I only barely could listen to Giuliani. I also want to note that the Republican convention has been mostly white; given the growing diversity of the American population, you would think the Republicans would do a better job of reflecting that diversity.

Sep. 04 2008 12:54 PM
hjs from 11211

please ask the caller if she won't vote for BHO simply because he is black/biracial

liberal democrat my foot!

Sep. 04 2008 12:53 PM
MMN from Midtown Manhattan

I have heard ENOUGH! I'm turning off the radio and going to sleep until November.

Sep. 04 2008 12:52 PM
pauline schneider from katonah, NY

I also meant to say that I watched OBama's speech at the DNC and was brought to tears of hope. Untill last night I believed this would be a no brainer.
But after hearing Palin and Giuliani I realized that there are no brains in the republican party as they have not learned any lessons and I am afraid that republican voters will simply follow their RNC leaders and vote as they are commanded to. And Hillary voters will never vote for an anti-choice veep no matter the gender. We are not idiots.
Anyone who is not a republican and believes in choice, freedom of reading books, evolution, saving the environment, and peace, should be terrified and prepared to work hard to make sure Obama is elected.

Sep. 04 2008 12:52 PM
eva

If I hear another dis from the GOP about the greek columns... is there something WRONG with the birthplace of democracy? You know, that culture that our founding fathers wanted to emulate when they built our once-great nation?

Sep. 04 2008 12:52 PM
George W. from NY, NY (office)

Hmmm, gut feelings, sounds like code for "I don't want to vote for a black guy". Maybe these liberal, democratic women need to just tell the truth. Or the women need to stop lying about being liberal dems.

Sep. 04 2008 12:52 PM
Mireille

Very negative, very off topic. Can she please talk about watching why she watched etc. I am not interested in her negative comments. She doesn't reflect my opinion.

Sep. 04 2008 12:51 PM
Sophie

The lady on the phone right now who said she is from Manhattan, young, educated and can't get herself to vote for Obama because it's a gut reaction - let me help her out - she's racist. That's the gut feeling she's trying to explain.

Sep. 04 2008 12:51 PM
NC from NYC

This liberal's woman's comments: Could it be a mistrust of black men?

Sep. 04 2008 12:51 PM
eva

current caller with the long island accent (I didn't catch her name) -
please don't say you represent women
I don't think you represent women in Manhattan, as you claim
I think she has a separate agenda

Sep. 04 2008 12:50 PM
Mireille

She is off topic.

Sep. 04 2008 12:50 PM
jeff from brooklyn

Serious analysis? No different than olympic
coverage, it's about the narrative. Sarah
Palin, moose huntin' tax cuttin' maverick?
Nothing changes. Eight years ago, Ivy league
educated, never worked a day in his life
George Bush was bought a ranch and a big
belt buckle and sold to America as
cowboy by the media.

Sep. 04 2008 12:48 PM
wladmir from new york city

oh my god, more clips from that hillbilly from Alaska.

great job leonard at pushing the republican lies

you are ridiculous

all we have to do is look at the last eight years of republican rule. what do we have:

9/11
banking meltdown
housing meltdown
thousands lose their jobs
thousands lose their homes
dollar drops 50 percent compared to the euro
rich get richer
the rest of us stay even or worse
prescription drug fiasco
russia invades georgia
etc.

all republican accomplishments

Sep. 04 2008 12:47 PM
Janice from NYC

I found Sarah Palin's speech at the convention last night to be empty and hostile.

She talked about reducing "unnecessary government spending." What does she consider to be unnecessary? As an Alaskan politician, she raised taxes in order to build a recreation center.

And her sarcasm was completely over the top. I found her to be hostile and blatantly untruthful. If she is supposed to be representing the "Christian right" then I think she needs to ask herself What Would Jesus Do before she opens her mouth. If Hillary Clinton had given a speech half as scathing as Sarah Palin's, she would have been crucified for it. But when Sarah Palin does it, the hypocritical Republicans worship her for being "tough." It isn't hard to make fun of your opponent. It is hard to actually have some class and be a true leader.

Sep. 04 2008 12:46 PM
Wendy Kessler-Effron from Briarcliff Manor NY

I think that the staging of the Democratic convention was far superior to that of the Republican. Granted, the Republicans got off to a rough start, but they've done a terrible job of controlling the schedule. And as much as they want to poke fun at the set at the stadium, the backdrops that they're using, like the lonely flag on a very high flagpole off to the side of a giant blank blue screen. It looks like clip art someone grabbed at the last minute.BTW, I thought the stadium set be a little over the top until I saw the Slate article pointing out that it was based on Chicago's soldier Field, though maybe the reference was a little obsucure to be effective.

Sep. 04 2008 12:46 PM
Rachel from London, UK

I have lived in London for the past 6 months and have found that the conventions have captivated the expatriates that I have met here. We are all talking about the convention all the time...it's brought the campaign alive all over the world. And with the wonders of the web we have all been able to watch the speeches with interest (as have our non-American neighbors). No wonder I'm listening to NPR again...

Sep. 04 2008 12:45 PM
al oof from brooklyn, ny

i also have to say that the coverage is always about who is ahead, whose speeches are more effective, what is their strategy! strategy for christ sakes, like this is a game. it's not a game. i want to know who is lying. i want to know voting records and i want to know who is paying them to make those decisions. i don't care what they are saying to appeal to who where.

Sep. 04 2008 12:44 PM
Steven Syrek from New York

I didn't watch the Republican convention, but I did see some of the Democratic convention. It seemed to me that they have totally bought into the conversion of politics into yet another media-spectacle-extravaganza: style without substance. Personally, I am disgusted by the elevation of politicians into rockstars. But, to be fair, it may be the only way for them to appeal to the so-called "undecided" given that, despite all their efforts, people tend to vote in predictable ways. They have not, however, appealed to me.

Sep. 04 2008 12:42 PM
MMN from Midtown Manhattan

I'm watching both conventions, though I was A LOT happier LAST WEEK than I am this week. I don't like watching the RNC but feel obligated to do so as a voting citizen. Like you, Leonard, I often yell at the TV. The rhetoric that's been thrown around at both convention halls tires me. My impression is that the RNC is a whole lot more divisive and vicious than the DNC. If the Republicans are so into family values why all the hate speach?

Sep. 04 2008 12:42 PM
pauline schneider from katonah, NY

I watched Sarah Palin and Giuliani before her.
I found them mean spirited and nasty and ready for a brawl with the Democrats and anyone who walks a middle road. The one benefit to McCain was his willingness to cross the isle (sp?) to get bills passed.
Giuliani and Palin brought it home that there will be no cooperation with anyone outside their party and therefore there will be no change.
I was also astonished as they booed the media and cheered Drill baby drill. I found it disgusting.

Sep. 04 2008 12:41 PM
Anthony Clune from Brooklyn

Obama supporter here. I don't mind McCain though. However, after hearing Palin speak I would love to see the Republicans lose.

People are saying Palin has energized the conservative base.

What about mobilizing those of us whose blood boils when we hear a snarky cynic like Palin speak??

Sep. 04 2008 12:40 PM
yourgo from astoria

I'm not watching the Republican convention because im sick and tired of listening to lies and hypocrisy. I watched and taped the democratic convention.

Sep. 04 2008 12:39 PM
Michael from NYC

First time doner for Obama.

I didn't listen to Obama's speache at the convention at all, as I've made up my mind. Might have the radio on in the background.

I listen more actively to the Republican, as I disagree with them, but I end up shouting back at the radio.
Giliuani made me boil over and I didn't even listen to Pale's speech.

Sep. 04 2008 12:38 PM
al oof from brooklyn, ny

i'm really disturbed by the lack of coverage of the mass arrests and violence against activists and media going on outside the conventions. it's impossible to watch the rnc on tv, knowing that the story is not being told completely.

Sep. 04 2008 12:37 PM
Freddy Jenkins

The RNC has been nothing more than the display of crass triumphalism and brute rhetoric. The DNC wasn't much--but this just terrifies me.

Sep. 04 2008 12:37 PM
Ruth K from NYC

What has most impressed me has been the police-initiated violence:
breaking into homes without apparent cause, wielding guns;
breaking up peaceful protests and marches);
arrests journalists;
"pre-emptive" arrests (this is democracy??);
and the LACK OF COVERAGE OF THIS STIFLING OF DISSENT BY THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA!!

Actions speak louder than words: inside, speaking about freedom, while outside, stopping it.

Sep. 04 2008 12:37 PM
Benita from brooklyn

I thought the 2 weirdest moments were:

1) Bill Clinton mouthing "I love you" over and over again to Hillary when she made her speech at the DNC...creepy!
2)All the coverage of the Palin baby at the RNC...the camera went to the baby every few min. Also, I thought that the baby may have been sedated...how could all that raucus not wake it up?

Sep. 04 2008 12:36 PM