Moms Returning to Work

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Returning to the workplace can be a challenge for stay-at-home moms who’ve taken time off to take care of kids. Hear why more and more employers are specifically choosing to hire returning mothers, and how those women manage to balance their families and careers. Emma Gilbey Keller’s recent book is The Comeback.

Weigh in: Stay-at-home moms and dads, did you return to the workplace after a long absence? We’d like to hear why you decided to return, and how the transition went.

Event:
Emma Gilbey Keller will be speaking & signing books
Thurs. September 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Lincoln Triangle
1972 Broadway
New York, NY 10023
212-595-6859

Emma Gilbey Keller

Gerda Lederer from White Plains, NY

You did not seem to have anyone in my age bracket - a worthwhile thought since the problem is not new. I am 82 years old and went to work at home after my children were born in 1949, 1052, and 1955. I went from technical editing for McGraw-Hill at their offices to freelancing for several publishers - and renting rooms. I changed my career often, for various reasons, and if I have a message to all of you who are young(er), life is long and you can learn and enjoy many new endeavors!

Sep. 03 2008 02:12 PM
Maggie from NYC

The parallels to the issues facing family caregivers are striking to me, especially young caregivers (people under 18 years old) who are caring for ill, disabled and/or elderly family members while putting off formal employment. I have been caring for my mother and grandmother since I was 17 years old. Now, more than a decade later I am still hesitant to take on full-time employment because of my need (real and imagined) to be available to my family. Having never started or established a career prior to the caregiving I am not considering going back, but getting a late start.

A point was made about the skills one gets being a parent. This is true for young people in the caring role. We develop tremendous experience and skills that would be useful in any job we take on. It is difficult though to explain our lack of work experience to future employers.

Also, the lack of intellectual stimulation and feelings of isolation caregivers experience may be similar to what mothers experience. The difference here is that young caregivers are still not on the radar of our society...it will be even longer before we are recognized and valued in order to receive much needed societal support we all deserve.

Sep. 03 2008 02:08 PM
mark Brown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com AND markbnj.blogspot.com

Child Care:

Look at my blog for two detailed proposals for
federally paid day care (starting at six months

sos-newdeal.blogspot.com/2008/06/proposal-day-care-and-maternity-leave.html

essentially it is a modified version of head-start educational program

Sep. 03 2008 01:58 PM
mark Brown from sos-newdeal.blogspot.com AND markbnj.blogspot.com

Hey. I have a good solution for this problem

Nationally (paid) LOCAL daycare for all,
starting at six months.

Essentially this is a head-start type program

The care-givers are also all local...

Look here for more :

and here

mark in NJ

PS: it's ALL inter-related.
This and living wage, and EVERYTHING

Sep. 03 2008 01:53 PM
Peter from NYC

Just curious if the experience is similar for stay at home dads?

Sep. 03 2008 01:51 PM
Lisa Miller from Morristown, NJ

I am curious as to why the discussion is often framed as a choice that a woman makes: to work outside the home or to stay at home. Many women, including myself have no choice but work to support our family either as part of a team or alone. I usually view stay at home moms as very fortunate and envy them.

Sep. 03 2008 01:45 PM
Jennifer H from Brooklyn

Hi -

Great topic.

I only stayed away from work for a few months as we could not afford my not working. Now that I am working again it is as a full time freelancer. I work this way because i can assure that i only work from 9-5. I don't feel that I can commit to a full time because in my industry 9-5 is not really full time. I would love to be able to have another baby - but I feel like I have to make the choice between having another child and losing step in my career -(one that I started later in life) I am not well established in my field. I hate feeling like it is one or the other and that if I have another child and delay my career I become obsolete

Sep. 03 2008 01:38 PM
Perez Cruz Isabel from NYC

I left work as a cancer researcher after my second baby was born. I had already 20 years experience in research. The reason I left work was I could not afford the baby sitter and living 1 hr away from work. I stayed at home for 1.5 years. I came back at the work force not doing research of my own but for others. So my carrer has been downplayed because I want to give my kids some time and energy when I go back home every day. My husband's carrer is skyroocking, in contrast. I really belive that society has to give more support to mothers and to working mothers, more affordable childcare, etc. There is a lot of waste talent if women leave the owrk force.

Sep. 03 2008 01:29 PM
Alice from Westchester

I am still looking for employment after 9 months of unemployment.

I don't find that employers prefer mature returning moms over young women. Law, medicine, finance, govt, retail.......they don't realize how stable, wise,responsible, and willing we can be.

Would they want THEIR moms rejected in the workplace.........especially if the need is so great?

Sep. 03 2008 01:26 PM