The Power of Progress

Friday, August 22, 2008

Former White House Chief of Staff John Podesta talks about the historical context of progressivism in America, and explains why he thinks progressive politics can help the U.S. save our economy and our climate. His new book is The Power of Progress.

Weigh in: What's your definition of progressive politics?

John Podesta

Maya

#2 RC:

I fail to see why the burden of this "elitist" argument always falls on the shoulders of liberals. I don't understand what it is about Republicans that makes them "of the people." Is it their choice of salad greens? Then what? At any rate, I WANT my president to be elite! Why the heck would I want someone who is just like me running the country? I'm not qualified. Whoever is planning to take on such a tremendous responsibility had better be smarter than the guy who fixes my plumbing.

You cited two examples of so-called liberal elitism. What about the entire Bush administration and their policy of "I don't care what anyone else in this country or the world thinks?" That sounds pretty damn elitist to me.

And before anyone accuses me of being a puppet of the Democratic party, I assure you that I hate Democrats and Republicans with equal fervor. Republicans make things worse, and Democrats maintain current state of decay. But there is no party that can claim genuine improvement.

Let's not speak on behalf of "most Americans," okay? The truth is that most Americans are totally clueless, apolitical, and ignorant about politics. In any given election, the majority of Americans don't vote, and don't even know who their congressman is. Of the rest, a sickening majority vote on single issues that have no business being discussed in the first place. I have lost my faith in "most Americans."

Aug. 23 2008 06:45 PM
markbnj from online: http://markbnj.blogspot.com or sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

edit to # 7.

at beginning:

RC: for info on what COULD be accomplished (on transportation or on energy see MY proposals at blog...

Aug. 22 2008 12:41 PM
markbnj from online: http://markbnj.blogspot.com or sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

sos-newdeal.blogspot.com/2008/02/proposal-transportationinfrastructure.html

or HERE
to see what I say about energy
sos-newdeal.blogspot.com/2008/02/proposal-energy.html

This is NOT him, but MY politics.

Essentially I think we need a "manhattan project"
sized and funded effort to develop alternative fuels, technologies, and to get our country re-engineered int alternative fuels!

Aug. 22 2008 12:40 PM
RC from Queens

Wow, Podesta just reaffirmed the liberal stereotype. A Washington lawyer most of his life, thinks he knows more about the economics of a business better than the people running the business.

I think if Podesta wants to implement these clean technologies, go out, get the funding and see if they workout economically.

Aug. 22 2008 12:37 PM
markbnj from online: http://markbnj.blogspot.com or sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

I ask a interesting question.

Does Mr Podesta think President Bush should be charged (and executed) for treason???

I think it may happen, but that makes me More radical then progressive

Aug. 22 2008 12:37 PM
markbnj from online: http://markbnj.blogspot.com or sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

John Podesta has 90% of what I say

at sos-newdeal.blogspot.com

Fair wage, national health care, tax reform, it's all there!

even a mandatory draft to remove the contractor army!

wow I'll be buying the book this weekend!!!

Aug. 22 2008 12:30 PM
Tom from Upper West Side

I have always thought Mr. Podesta to be a bright guy, but, boy, he is difficult to listen to!

Aug. 22 2008 12:29 PM
RC from Queens

The problem with liberals or conservatives.

The picture that most people have of liberals are Hollywood know it alls such as comedian Richard Belzer who claimed on Bill Mahrer's show that he knew more about Iraq than a soldier serving in Iraq because "he reads 10 newspapers a day." Not realizing that it is the people on the ground in Iraq that creates the very news he is reading.

Or, in an article that I read in a 2005 New Yorker where they quote an incident in 2004 in Missouri where Theresa Heinz Kerry was telling farmers that they need to grow organic. A farmer quoted stated that if he had to grow organic, the costs would put him out of business.

I think that if liberals stopped trying to act like they are so smart and so intellectual and actually listen to the people who have real experiences that will help their image. They need to stop thinking that they know better than the rest of society. If they do they may do a better job of winning presidential elections.

Aug. 22 2008 12:20 PM
Alice from Westchester

My definition of Liberal = everyone, should have everything, all the time.

To me, this is way too easy a stance to take and one that is cowardly, really. Cowardly because one is not able to face the issues deeply. It means that one is incapable of resolving the difficulties of our world and its problems.

Aug. 22 2008 12:17 PM