Ernest Borgnine: The Man Behind the Roles

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oscar-winner Ernest Borgnine has played more than 190 film and television roles! In his new autobiography, Ernie, he writes about the man behind those roles, and the many changes he’s seen in the movie business over the past six decades.

Event: Ernest Borgnine will be speaking and signing books
Thursday, August 14 at 7:30 pm
Barnes & Noble Lincoln Center
1972 Broadway (at 66th Street)

Ernest Borgnine

Nick Hinkel from Inwood, Manhattan

A very friendly and down to earth gentleman. Unpretentious and a great Talent. May he go on with his boisterious laugh and love of life for another as long as the Lord permits.

Aug. 13 2008 03:29 PM
Fellow Italian from Westchester, NY

Mr. Borgnine will always be Marty to me. I grew up in the Bronx where the film takes place. Whenever I see him as Marty I see my dad who looks a lot like him. He holds a special place in my heart. I hope he lives to be 113!!

Aug. 13 2008 10:35 AM
Its_just_me

Lizzy's crew: I've never seen the Wild Bunch, and I think it's cool that "we" can say whatever "we" want when "we" are interviewed ... oh, including the truth!

Aug. 12 2008 02:24 PM
Robert from Bergen County

A great interview with a great actor. I liked the substitute host's laidback style.

And I agree--see The Wild Bunch.

(Did any commentors think that the host's honesty was preferable to his bluffing it, because as sure as Marty was a butcher, Mr. Borgnine would have returned to The Wild Bunch at several points in the interview.)

Aug. 12 2008 02:05 PM
Jeff from NY

I agree with Lizzy. Considering the groundbreaking nature of The Wild Bunch, prep yourself by taking some Dramamine and watch the friggin film.
Also, I swore I saw tons of news footage of Ernest's death a few years ago! I have no idea what I'm remembering.

Aug. 12 2008 01:55 PM
Chuck from Brooklyn

Lizzy, I agree.

Who has not seen The Wild Bunch. And then to say it.

Keep it to yourself man!

Aug. 12 2008 01:54 PM
Avery from Manhattan

What a delightful interview with Ernest Borgnine. A powerful, original talent - and he sounds like a remarkable and good human being. Gotta read that book.

Aug. 12 2008 01:50 PM
Its_just_me

Go Mermaid Man! And I love (still love) Marty :)

Aug. 12 2008 01:46 PM
lizzy from east village

How can this guy interview Mr. Borgnine having never seen The Wild Bunch????? Because violence makes him queasy??? Holy crap, why would you ever admit that? Some of the NPR reporters are covering stories in the violence and danger of Iraq, and this guy can't even stomach a CLASSIC film as research for his interview??? LAME.

Aug. 12 2008 01:43 PM
Chuck from Brooklyn

91!

Fantastic. He sounds great.

Sharp as a damn tack!

Aug. 12 2008 01:25 PM
Neal from Port Washington

Brother Ernie,

Great to hear you on WNYC. I enjoyed all your performances and was also glad to find out that you were a fellow brother of the craft. Best wishes and good luck with your book. I can't wait to read it.

Your friend,
Neal

Aug. 12 2008 01:24 PM
Jeffrey Slott from East Elmhurst

I could have sworn that I read Mr. Borgnine's obituary several years ago. Glad I'm wrong, but still... did I just dream it? Was there some kind of hoax?

Aug. 12 2008 12:36 PM