China's Great Train

Monday, August 11, 2008

The Chinese government’s ambitions are on full display now that the Olympics are underway. Abrahm Lustgarten talks about how China’s nationalistic goals influenced its 50-year quest to build a railway into Tibet. His new book is China’s Great Train: Beijing’s Drive West and the Campaign to Remake Tibet.

Abrahm Lustgarten
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Michael from Manhattan

I know one thing Barack Obama will do. He will show that the USA is more than just a bunch of "old white guys" . That is very important to "minority" people. More than enough reason for me to want him to be prez ESPECIALLY if it dosn't make a difference in policy.

Aug. 11 2008 01:58 PM
Michael from Manhattan

With .. what is the figure? 90% of US wealth held by less than 10% of the population. Most of us are already sharecroppers. China has the right to do what they want to do. I find it really interesting that European nations that have done so much to exploit, decimate, rob, and suppress other people are so paranoid about China. I as a Native American am so glad to see a third world nation with the power to thumb its nose at the "white guys" that I really cant care less. I wasn't scared of the Russians either during the cold war after all, what did we native people have to lose. I'm tired of being called foreign and exotic in my own land, much like Cokie Roberts calling the state of Hawaii on "This week" yesterday a "foreign and exotic" bad choice for Obama to take his vacation.

Aug. 11 2008 01:39 PM
tom from nycity

Can the guest lay out the connection between all those factories in China that used to be here, a customer buying a cheap pair of socks at Walmart, and the growth in China. Were would China be without our factories and factory orders?

Aug. 11 2008 12:26 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

Thanks Lenoard for asking the hard questions.

Aug. 11 2008 12:23 PM
shc from Manhattan

I've been fortunate enough to visit Lhasa and parts of Tibet, and agree that it is one of the most beautiful places and cultures one can ever see on this planet. But I also admit to a sense of guilt while I was there, that the opportunity for my visit came at the expense of others' people's suffering.

Having grown up in the west I understand the reality and consequences of "economic development," but really hope that as humanity matures (one hopes) that development benefits everyone involved. A pipe dream, I know.

For tourists now and in the future, I hope that we're mindful of who and what our choices affect, especially when we come from such affluence compared with many communities in China and Tibet, and other 3rd world communities for that matter. (For example, and I don't know if it exists in China, one can go with socially responsible tourist groups, who give back to local communities.)

Aug. 11 2008 12:22 PM
Lhatotori from Tibet

Very interesting comparison of the China/Tibet and the Arab/Israel conflicts.

Why Do Palestinians Get Much More Attention than Tibetans?

Aug. 11 2008 12:21 PM
Eleni from Queens

When will the World intervene on the Tibetans behalf and urge China to stop the illegal occupation and oppression of an ethnic minority group. Moreover, when will high officials in India STOP accepting $$$ from China. I suppose the US and Europe haven't willingly voiced a position on this as it will weaken, if not severely compromise their own agenda for a "modern" China or India. Is it Tibet's natural resources that has the US and Europe breathing a sigh of relief because it will give China and India their own oil and gas reserves???
Why are we sacrificing the economic and political soverignty of a nonaggressive, nonthreatening nation
of Tibet like sheep to slaughter on the alter-table to the gods: China and India.

As to where the Tibetans will go as refugees--well they can always continue immigrating to NYC. I think they fit in NYC nicely.
Their plight is very similar to the fate of the American Indians, particularly of the plains.

Aug. 11 2008 12:21 PM