Please Explain: Muscles

Friday, August 01, 2008

Please Explain is all about muscles! Find out how they function, how to strengthen them, and how they can break down. Dr. E. Todd Schroeder teaches clinical exercise physiology at the University of Southern California.

Carrie from Maplewood

Habitually held muscles become tight as a result of Sensory/Motor Amnesia. The feedback loop between the brain and the muscle goes into a sort of "cruise control", which makes it difficult to release those muscles. To overcome sensory/motor amnesia, brain control of the muscle has to be re-engaged so that the feedback loop can be interrupted, and control is regained.

Aug. 01 2008 01:59 PM
Jack

why do certain parts of my muscles involuntarily twitch very visibly

Aug. 01 2008 01:57 PM
Curby from New York

is there a podcast of this broadcast?

The Lopate Show responds:
The podcast of this segment will be available later this afternoon.

Aug. 01 2008 01:57 PM
Anonymous from NY

I had 6 weeks of radiation treatment to my pelvis to treat anal cancer at the end of last year. When I began a fitness routine to get back into shape, I noticed that the muscles in my butt were very tight and would get very sore after relatively light exercise. How might the radiation affect those muscles?

Aug. 01 2008 01:57 PM
norman from nyc

what about heart muscle?

when that gets damaged, it's all over.

Aug. 01 2008 01:56 PM
Scott from Brooklyn

Evan,

I've read that you should eat protein after you workout. It takes about 4 hours to dissolve 25 grams of protein, or something like that.

Aug. 01 2008 01:54 PM
tom sheckler from park slope

please explain muscle cramps

Aug. 01 2008 01:53 PM
darla from tribeca

I go to yoga 3 to 4 times a week- I am 58 ....why do I always feel sore after yoga- not immediately but hours later and the next day or two?
I love it- but...
do you think I am improving each time and that is why I get so sore?

Aug. 01 2008 01:53 PM
evan

Is it important to eat protein immediately after working out to build muscle? How much protein can the body digest at one time?

Aug. 01 2008 01:52 PM
Jenny from Manhattan

please explain the timing of eating high-carbohydrate or low-carb/high protein affects the ability to use and build up muscles.
e.g. no carbs on same day before workout,
or plenty of carbs same day beforehand,
or lots of spaghetti the night before.

Also, what are differences in muscle type and building between men and women

Aug. 01 2008 01:48 PM
Sergio from Carlstadt New Jersey

I have involentary leg movement everytime i sit down. I can't stop moving my legs back & forth, but i like it. Why do my legs want to move back & forth? Is it to release energy?

thanks

Aug. 01 2008 01:48 PM
Frank A. Ocwieja from Hartsdale, NY

Do dancers and gymnasts grow more numerous nerve connections to their "slow-twitch" muscles, like their legs? Is this a part of their training?

Aug. 01 2008 01:44 PM
Anne from Manhattan

What is "muscle memory"?

I used to run 1/2 marathons, took a few years' break and have recently begun running again. It only took about three runs before I felt like my body found it's "groove" again with running.

Is this really some sort of memory stored in the muscles? Does muscle memory work the same way for my leg muscles as my heart? How long woudl it take for my muscles to "forget"?

Aug. 01 2008 01:44 PM
Lisa from Brooklyn

Can you increase the number of nerves going to a muscle by using the muscle more, as in regular exercise or weight training?

Aug. 01 2008 01:39 PM
Ray Dellert from NYC

I have been weight training for a number of years - never a big supplement user: Creatine and Protien shakes. But have added NO2 (main ingredient: Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate), MRI Company. On this supplement, with regular workouts, I have achieved my highest ever body weight of 138 lbs. (am small framed, 5'4" male, normal weight hovers around 125 lbs.)and could squat just over 400lbs.

Please discuss how this works- if you know, and other factors that generally improve/impede real muscle gain.

Aug. 01 2008 01:39 PM
evan

What is the physiological difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscle?

Aug. 01 2008 01:35 PM