Nancy Pelosi’s Message to American Women

Monday, July 28, 2008

Nancy Pelosi made history when she became the first female Speaker of the House; now she's arguably the most powerful Democrat in the country. In her new book, Know Your Power, she offers some career and life advice to her fellow American women.

Event: Nancy Pelosi will be in conversation with Dr. Gail Saltz
Tuesday, July 29 at 12:00 pm
92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue at 92nd Street
For more information and to purchase tickets, go here.

Nancy Pelosi
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

David! from NYC

Thanks, anon, and it will be interesting to see if your call for 2020 is correct. How ironic if that were the year we had a clear vision on govt and politics...

Jul. 28 2008 03:26 PM
anon

All the best to you too, David. For what it's worth, I expect to see a truly viable, strong third party nationwide by 2020. There are so many young voters coming online with real energy. It will be they who rock the 2-party system. And it will be wonderful to watch!

Jul. 28 2008 03:11 PM
David! from NYC

anon, I wish you well in your efforts, especially as you and I seem to have the same goals. You have valid points about third parties' shortcomings, at least heretofore. And it IS time for King Nader (snicker) to fade away.

btw, it wasn't easy changing my registration. Even before I was old enough to vote, I was active politically. But as time went by, especially since 2006 and this recently ended primary season, I became convinced that the Dem "leadership" had no interest in maintaining the principles that the party claims to hold. Without principle, there is nothing.

Jul. 28 2008 02:45 PM
anon

Sorry, David, I prefer to work on getting my party back on the right (well, left) track. Independents, like Lieberman, are anything but. And Third parties so far have shown themselves to be very good on a specific agenda (especially environment and consumer protection), but not quite ready for a full palette that includes global issues (especially balancing national powers and the effect of the US on the global economy). But they are getting better every year (except king Nader, time for him to fade away and let new blood and ideas come forward).

Jul. 28 2008 02:31 PM
David! from NYC

2, 3, 4, 5, 8, (especially) 10, 13, 14:

EXACTLY!

Please, for all of you so disheartened by the lack of principle and progress shown by this congress, this Dem "leadership", consider changing to a third party or to an independent. It's the only way real change is going to come about.

Jul. 28 2008 02:15 PM
anon

I don't think the Constitution has a clause that excuses the offender because prosecution is inconvenient to the opposing party. Congress is enabling the abuse of power therefore establishing such abuses to be permissible. With friends like this in Congress we really don't need any external threats: we are being sickened from within.

Jul. 28 2008 02:03 PM
Mark from Manhattan

Did I understand the Speaker to say that they tried to get through a bill telling the President how to redeploy troops? Since when is Congress the Commander-in-Chief? Is this the same woman who just accused the Bush administration of ignoring the constitution?

Jul. 28 2008 01:58 PM
David! from NYC

hjs--We'll build it one person at a time.

I'm not naive. I 42, and I don't know that I'll live to see a truly viable third party. The structure of our government will do all it can to maintain the 2-party system. Third parties will have minimal influence for a long time, until enough people see that the real differences b/w the GOP and the Dems are almost non-existent, and more people drop their fear of "But if I want to vote in the primaries, I have to stay a Dem/Republican." That is the attitude which helps keep the unhealthy two-party system entrenched.

Jul. 28 2008 01:58 PM
Jennifer H from Brooklyn

I love you Nancy - So Smart!

Jul. 28 2008 01:58 PM
ch from Staten Island

As you can see by some of the comments, the reason so many of us, including me, have a low opinion is because they haven't done what we sent them to do: Stop Bush & Cheney.
We had high hopes that they would be held accountable so that no future administration could abuse power in this way. But under Speaker Pelosi's leadership, the Congress has given them a pass. Strong words will not deter the power-hungry; they need legal punishment. Get it on the books so we don't have to fear over every future administration's using this permission to abuse as precedent to do likewise (or worse).

Jul. 28 2008 01:50 PM
hjs from 11211

David!
when will the green build a party?
how many greens in congress? how many in state government?

Jul. 28 2008 01:44 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Ms. Pelosi:

STOP BLAMING BUSH FOR YOUR FAILURES!

We know Bush sucks.

Jul. 28 2008 01:40 PM
Lori Merhige from Weehawken, NJ

What does Ms. Pelosi think about women keeping other women from having success? I have been a small business owner for 7 years, and am now enrolled in a graduate program at a CUNY school. I was elected class President and received many accolades as a good leader. However, my position backfired on me, as I wound up facing real vindictive opposition from FEMALE faculty. This seems to be a common phenomenon.

Any thoughts from Ms. Pelosi on WHY this is, and what women can do to STOP holding each other back?

Jul. 28 2008 01:33 PM
David! from NYC

Nancy Pelosi is one of the reasons I changed my registration from Democrat to Green.

Jul. 28 2008 12:36 PM
j from nyc

re[2], Gary:

just for the record, apparently, as of one or 2 months ago, Pervez Musharraf has higher popularity ratings than Dick Cheney. Just thought I'd throw that in there. [PM, %15; DC, %8]

And please ask Speaker Pelosi if Congress plans on giving themselves a raise again this year. I believe they call it a cost-of-living increase, usually put in at midnight, or something like that.

Jul. 28 2008 12:25 PM
RC from Queens

Why is congress going on a vacation when we face a huge problem with energy?

Why is it so hard to get quantum leap/innovative thinking from our government and congress?

You guys always seem several steps behind.

Jul. 28 2008 12:10 PM
michael winslow from INWOOD

Yes Pelosi has made it possible for more women to achieve one of the highest posts in our government.

However since there she has done nothing useful.

FISA passed the house. This was a travesty.

Patriot Act

No Impeachment for Bush.

We're STILL in IRAQ!!

She promised to get this country out of Iraq and to this day voted for ALL war appropriations bills. Why?

Jul. 28 2008 12:07 PM
Gary from Upper Left Side

Leonard,

Please ask Speaker Pelosi to explain how under her speakership the Democrat-controlled Congress achieved the unthinkable--a lower approval rating than even Bush. (Nice work.)

Gary

Jul. 28 2008 12:06 PM
M from NJ

Who was the most influential Speaker in U.S. history and what made them so influential?

Jul. 28 2008 11:55 AM