Please Explain: BBQ

Friday, July 18, 2008

Barbecue guru Steve Raichlen, whose The Barbecue! Bible has been revised and re-released on its 10th anniversary, and world-class pitmaster Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama tell us how the best BBQ is made, and whether you can find the authentic stuff here in New York.

Where is your favorite place to get BBQ? It doesn’t have to be in NYC; you can tell us about your favorite BBQ joint anywhere in the country.

Chris Lilly

jj from nyc

Pearsons in Jackson Heights, which sadly closed it's doors a few years ago served a delicious brisket sandwich on a warm portugese roll (I used to top it off with some of their homeade potato salad). I really miss that place, nothing has even come close.

Jul. 18 2008 02:13 PM
Matthew Kaplan from Weehawken, NJ

I’ve happily enjoyed some amazing bbq all around this wonderful country of ours, from Hill Country in Manhattan and Fette Sau in Brooklyn, to Kreuz’s, Blacks and Smitty’s in Lockhart, Texas, to the fabled Salt Lick in Driftwood, Texas to Iron Works and Stubbs in Austin and of course the host of fine joints in Memphis like The Rendezvous, Neely’s and The Central ... but for me the best of all has got to be Harold’s Pit Bar-B-Q in Abilene, Texas!!! Harold’s has the most amazing sauce, more vinegar and molasses based then the usual tomato, scrumptious. Well worth the hour long wait on line.

By the way if you happen to be in Memphis, you must check out Gus’ Fried Chicken, divine!

Jul. 18 2008 02:07 PM
Lisa from Brooklyn

i like the ribs and the pulled pork at Rack and Soul -- West 109th @ Broadway...

for people searching in different regions, i recommend searching and posting on chowhound.com

Jul. 18 2008 02:01 PM
Joe Huybens from NJ

Please explain how "au jus" has become a noun.

Jul. 18 2008 01:58 PM
andy from bkln

any tips for the grill-less in nyc (aside from eating out) ?

Jul. 18 2008 01:55 PM
MacLeod Snaith from Weston, Ct

Brooks BBQ in Oneonta NY might be near the callers route for NY BBQ.

Jul. 18 2008 01:55 PM
Jeff from NYC

Send the upstate NYer to Brooks BBQ in Oneonta NY. Awesome place!

Jul. 18 2008 01:53 PM
anthony clune from Brooklyn

Tell these guys to visit FETTE SAU in Williamsburg next time they pass through Brooklyn.

Art Meat! And the baked beans will slay you...

Jul. 18 2008 01:50 PM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

I was a vegetarian for 11 years - then I was undone by a cheeseburger.

Jul. 18 2008 01:46 PM
R Schreiner from brooklyn

I've been warned against applying sauce to meat over fire, as "burnt sugar" is supposedly carcenigenic. true?

Jul. 18 2008 01:43 PM
Jameson from NYC

Hill Country is as close as you can get to the real thing in NYC. My ideal being central Texas style pit 'cue.

Kreuz's market in Lockhart, TX supplies Hill Country with their sausage so you are guaranteed an authentic experience.

Jul. 18 2008 01:38 PM
Amy from Astoria

In New York, Virgil's is probably king, but I also enjoy Rub on 23rd Street and The Smoke Joint in Fort Greene...the perfect pre-BAM dinner!

Jul. 18 2008 01:33 PM
liz from brooklyn

Having tried a number of places here in the metro area, I've always been disappointed until we discovered Bar BQ in Brooklyn (South Park Slope, 20th Street and 6th Ave).

They don't put sauce in their meat to make it taste better like other places in the metro (or to mask dryness or lack of flavor in the meat), the smoke flavor is robust, the meat (pork) melts in your mouth and the portions are HUGE.

Oh - and the place is very cool as well. Has a neighborhood feel, with a great beer and bourbon list. The bartenders are awesome as well; offer samples of the beer with no attitude.

Best thing to get: the pulled pork.

A must visit!

Jul. 18 2008 01:29 PM
John Porter

The Smokey Pig in Columbus, Georgia, has the best pulled pork barbecue!

Jul. 18 2008 01:26 PM
Dan from Manhattan

I happen to like Ridgewood Barbecue in Bluff City (near Johnson City), but since that's in East Tennessee I don't get there often. The Pork and Beef are excellent (to the point that I don't try anything else).

Jul. 18 2008 01:18 PM
RLO from New York, NY

Best Q in New York can either be found at Hill Country, or Dinosaur in Harlem.

The best BBQ in the world is found at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City.

Then renowned author Calvin Trillin declared in Playboy magazine that "...the single best restaurant in the world is Arthur Bryant's Barbeque at 18th & Brooklyn in Kansas City."

Jul. 18 2008 01:15 PM
claire from Lower East Side

Curtis's BBQ in Putney Vermont. Partly for the great chicken and ribs and partly for the "atmosphere" that includes blue buses and a giant pot belly pig. I still drive all the way up there for the weekend to taste that barbecue.

Jul. 18 2008 01:10 PM
Steve (the other one) from Manhattan

Dallas Jones on W. Houston - the brisket is to die for ... good pulled pork too Sarah. I was sad when I moved from SoHo and could no longer get delivery from them.

Jul. 18 2008 01:04 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn

It used to be the pulled pork at Pies n' Thighs in Williamsburg...until they closed down. I was so sad when they closed!!

Jul. 18 2008 10:39 AM