International AIDS Prevention Efforts

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Bush administration has committed 45 billion taxpayer dollars to international AIDS programs. And while there is more funding for AIDS programming than ever before, epidemiologist Elizabeth Pisani believes that the money doesn’t go to the people who need it most. Her new book is The Wisdom of Whores: Bureaucrats, Brothels, and the Business of AIDS.

Elizabeth Pisani

Marisa Brigati from nyc

I really appreciate the thankfully sane perspective of the woman who wrote "Wisdom of Whores." It is such a huge relief to hear from a woman who works with people in such precarious situations and interacts with sex workers in a way that is respectful and positive. It seems like hysterically patronizing, pitying, and hate-filled voices are the norm when sex work is addressed. It was such a joy and relief to hear an intelligent women speak of sex workers with human decency and respect. I can't wait to read the book.

Jul. 07 2008 10:45 PM
Micheal from UES

This is a great discussion. IT really points out a number of arguments I have been putting forward based on research for the past 10 years. I am really glad that LL had the guts to delve into an issue with so many entrenched intrests that are unwilling to listen to any other view but their own. I am suprised that the author is unwilling to see people tested. My own observational evidence and research in the "field" has taught me that for teh most part the fear of contracting HIV from un"protected" hetero sex is low.

Jul. 02 2008 01:22 PM
Marco from Manhattan

I don't care for Bush but to compare the Bush administration's AIDS policy with that of Mbeki is idiotic. South Africa is literally and figuratively dying of AIDS.

Jul. 02 2008 01:16 PM
Micheal from UES

yes I am aware of that stated reason. IT stil does not directly address the point I am bringing up. It only restates the reason why th ebronx was singled out. Neither does it address the logic of trying to test the population that is the most infectious. The death rate may be higher for many reasons inc quality of care and treatment, poverty and other factors. These arguments that are not consistant in logic fuel my skepticisim around these issues.

Jul. 02 2008 01:08 PM
James Brownski

may not want to google that if youre at work right now.

manhattan has the highest known rate, but the bx has the higher death rate, so its possible that many bx residents are carrying the virus and just dont know it.

Jul. 02 2008 01:05 PM
Micheal from UES

One of the interesting things about the "Bronx" situation is ... why are they testing the people of the Bronx when the facts stated were that MANHATTAN is where there are the MOST infections! You should test the population that is the root of the infection FIRST. BUt then again, most of the middle and upper middle class white and gay population live in manhattan.
With regards to Africa the "Dry sex " practices are a strong factor in increasing the infectiousness of African women with regard to STD's (asiade from the fact that Africa is a public health disaster). Google Dry sex to understand teh damage this practice can do.

Jul. 02 2008 12:56 PM