Physics of the Impossible

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Physicist Michio Kaku says that recent scientific advances could be making impossible-sounding things like telepathy and time travel possible! His new book is Physics of the Impossible.

Dr. Michio Kaku
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

milt fisher from New Jersey

Been listening for years. This was the most fascinating interview. I'm buying the book

Jun. 21 2008 09:41 AM
hjs from 11211

Kaku also has a show on wbai Wednesdays 5PM - 6PM

Jun. 17 2008 01:39 PM
Amelia from bathroom stall on my iphone

yeah i heard this b4.
whats with the repeat segments the last 2 days?

Jun. 17 2008 12:58 PM
veronica from manhattan

Is it my imagination, or is this a repeat show?

Jun. 17 2008 12:39 PM
Alex from Park Slope

It would be nice if Prof. Kaku were even somewhat well-informed.

The Raygun Mr. Lopate refers to is a development of Raytheon and the Department of Energy. It focuses a tight microwave beam on a target (a human). Just google "Silent Guardian" or "Active Denial System".

As for cold fusion, again Prof. Kaku demonstrates impressive ignorance. MIT was so taken with cold fusion that it sought to patent it (before it was proven to be nonsense).

Jun. 17 2008 12:31 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Have actual particles now been teleported? Up to now, every time I've heard about teleportation in real life, it's referred to transferring a quantum state to a different particle rather than moving the original particle itself. Also, if an object is destroyed & a copy created somewhere else, is that really teleporting? Hasn't that term usually meant transporting the *same* object?

Jun. 17 2008 12:31 PM
Theresa from Brooklyn

I am getting an earworm of Oingo Boingo's "Weird Science" just listening to this segment. ;)

Jun. 17 2008 12:29 PM
Bill from New York

On invisibility:

If I were rendered invisible by light's wrapping around me, wouldn't I be unable to see -- not just myself, but others as well?

Jun. 17 2008 12:26 PM
Matt from NYC

This guy is the Dr Phil of Physics...

Jun. 17 2008 12:26 PM
Tabitha from Brooklyn, NY

...Do you realize that your segment today oddly echoes a cracked.com article? Especially re: teleportation.

I love it when my non-matching interests (public radio & juvenile humor) actually intersect. :)

Jun. 17 2008 12:26 PM
Stephen from brooklyn

Invisibility:

Sometimes I notice invisibility when watching older shows on television (early 1960s), I am able to see through the human beings.

Anybody else ever notice this?

Jun. 17 2008 12:25 PM
Giuseppe from New York

I believe that teleportation as described by Dr. Kaku would be based on the principle on non-separability. This seems to imply that certain kind of information are tranmitted instantaneously. Could he possibly explain why this is consistent with the other physical principle that information cannot travel faster than light?

Jun. 17 2008 12:24 PM
Matt from NYC

Listening now - You can't call a stroke sufferer a "vegetable" Shame on you.

Jun. 17 2008 12:18 PM
Alex from Park Slope

Michio Kaku certainly has one skill -- self-aggrandizement. Let's go to a physicist who thinks of his job as something more than popularization and self=promotion.

Mr. Lopate got Kaku on the Large Hadron Collider. OK, Prof. Kaku will analyze data, but he is _not_ affiliated with CERN in any way.

Likewise, when we start pressing, we find that "teleportation" "time travel" involve tiny tiny things.

Jun. 17 2008 12:16 PM
kevin from Chelsea

Michio ROCKS!!!

Jun. 17 2008 12:11 PM
Mickey from 1 1/2 blocks from you

Can't wait to hear Mr. Kaku on your show again. Always informative and entertaining. His recent television program, "Time," was excellent.

Jun. 17 2008 12:04 PM
Daniel F from East Hanover, NJ

I can't get enough of Michio Kaku on all the great documentaries he's been featured on for the Science Channel... There's only one question I love to hear him tackle? What is is theory to "Lost"?

Jun. 17 2008 11:07 AM
Peter from Sunset Park

In television shows such as Battlestar Galactica and Farscape there are creatures that exist that are part biological and part electrical. In Battlestar of course there are the cylons that look human, contain DNA, but are also robots. Is such an innovation conceivable beyond the point of a simple implant like a pacemake or prosthetic limb?

Also, these shows have ways for ships to move across huge periods of space in seconds. Any possibilities here too?

Jun. 17 2008 10:55 AM
Laura from ROCKLAND COUNTY

I heard him speak a few years ago at Sarah Lawrence College, and I remember one thing he spoke of was that it might actually be possible to travel through wormholes, where the ends might be at vastly different points in space and time. One followup I've always wished I could have asked was whether such travel through a wormhole would be possible in both directions? Or are there limitations which would make it be a one-way street?

Jun. 17 2008 08:53 AM