Please Explain: Snoopology

Friday, June 06, 2008

What can you find out about a friend, a colleague, a lover, or yourself by inspecting everyday objects? Snoopology is the study of what the stuff we own reveals about our psychological truths. Sam Gosling is Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin and author of Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You. Daniel R. Ames is Associate Professor of Leadership and Ethics at Columbia Business School.

Event: Sam Gosling will be speaking and signing books
Tuesday, June 10 at 7 pm
Borders Kips Bay
576 Second Avenue (at 32nd Street)

Weigh in: If you’re at your desk or at home, look around you. What do you see, and what do you think it reveals about who you are?

Daniel R. Ames and Sam Gosling

Soledad Robledo from Santiago

I'd also like to know why some of us need to have a radio on while working at the computer, having breakfast or falling asleep.

Jun. 16 2008 06:21 PM
hjs from 11211

at times, chaos can be more efficient than order

Jun. 06 2008 01:58 PM
Millie Niss from North Tonawanda, NY

I realized I didn't want a job at a small midtown IT firm because they had me sitting in the president's office to do a written programming test, and there was a signed photo of George Bush I on the desk (this was in 1993).

Jun. 06 2008 01:57 PM
Gene

I'm amazed at how well NY women can scan a person and determine social status, societal awareness, finances, etc. at a single glance.

Just a blink of an eye, you wouldn't see the up-and-down auto-scan if you weren't looking for it, and suddenly they've got me: no designer clothes, 6 months out of date at that, shoes too worn, no jewelry, over 3 weeks since a haircut, and a host of other lore I'm only dimly aware of. And I am nabbed.

I go away from meeting someone and am lucky if I remember what color their shirt was.

Jun. 06 2008 01:50 PM
Lonnie from Brooklyn!!!!!

Some people have music playing in the background all the time at home (Either a stereo or just a kitchen radio)-- and MOST people have silence in their home. What does this say about a person?

Jun. 06 2008 01:47 PM
Theresa

It says that I'm a slob who likes books.

Jun. 06 2008 01:42 PM
Claud from Kips Bay

Most of the jewelry I wear I've inherited from my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma. There's something about wearing vintage jewelry that I really like, not to mention that it reminds me of my family and it sets me apart from my 20-something peers.

Jun. 06 2008 01:42 PM
Simeon Berman, MD from West Orange, NJ

Please see the description of Erving Goffman's seminal work on presentation.

The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life

here is a link to a description of his work

Jun. 06 2008 01:35 PM
Caitlin

I'm at my desk at work, in an office I share with a few other people- there's my computer; my lunch; pictures of my mom, cat, and friends; and everywhere else is covered with piles of work!

Jun. 06 2008 01:11 PM
Francyne from Bronx

I'm at my desk in the office corner of our living room. I see 5 bookcases full of books, art in various media on the walls...other artists' work and my own, my bike in the entry hall,plants on the window sill, and our American
Bull n(Molly Tan) poised on the couch arm looking out the window. All speak to my identity.

Jun. 06 2008 11:36 AM
Sarah from Brooklyn

I'm at my desk. I see 3 plants; 4 bottles total of various hand lotions, hand soap, and sanitizer; stray sticky notes; a mug. It's not as clean as I would like. I don't know what that says about me...I like clean hands and growing plants, but I wish my life was tidier?? Not sure.

Jun. 06 2008 10:41 AM