David Sedaris: When You Are Engulfed in Flames

Thursday, June 05, 2008

David Sedaris’s long-awaited new essay collection is When You Are Engulfed in Flames. It includes stories about trying to make coffee when the water was shut off, the time a lozenge fell from his mouth into someone else’s lap, and his memories of buying drugs in North Carolina.

Event: David Sedaris will be speaking and signing books
Thursday, June 5 at 7 pm
Bookends
232 East Ridgewood Avenue, Ridgewood, New Jersey

Weigh in: What’s your favorite David Sedaris story?

David Sedaris

mary leckie-gould from warwick, ny WNYC

David Sedaris is a national treasure - as is Leonard Lopate's show. Thank you both for everything you do.
David Sedaris' story of being an elf in Macy's Christmas department has become a yearly ritual in our house, one that we read out loud to our family on Christmas Eve and start the festivities with humor and joy!
David S. is comic genius and enriches our lives with much laughter.

Jun. 11 2008 11:27 AM
Francyne from Bronx

Hard to pick just one.
Big Boy
Season's Greetings
Jesus Shaves

I was fortunate to get David's comments and autograph, and sympathy in Chicago on his book "Naked" when I was about to have to move to Raleigh-Durham, NC.

He's an American Treasure.

Jun. 06 2008 11:51 AM
Emily from Brooklyn from Brooklyn, NY

I grew up in the blue-collar Hampton and everytime I read the story about David trying to rid the toilet of someone else's poop at the Easthampton luncheon - I nearly die!

I've read that story on the subway in New York hysterical, tears rolling, gut hiccuping, remembering why I left the "Keeping Up Appearances" lifestyle of the Hamptons.

Thank you David for reminding me over and over, that everyone poops.

Jun. 06 2008 08:51 AM
Megan from NJ

We read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" aloud on Easter. It makes us all howl. Love Sedaris!

Jun. 05 2008 08:01 PM
yeah, 4th most populous country on earth! from nairobi, kenya

unfortunate the way that leonard scoffed at name of the bahasa language. there are more bahasa speakers in indonesia than there are english speakers in the USA.

Jun. 05 2008 01:37 PM
4th largest country in the world from Brooklyn

Bahasa = "Language" in Indonesian or Malay

Bahasa Indonesia = Indonesian Language
Bahasia Malayu = Malay Language

They are slight variants of one another so people often shorten to Bahasa.

Jun. 05 2008 01:32 PM
Rick from Long island city

Len your the best, what a fun interview. I love you show

Jun. 05 2008 01:31 PM
A. Ahmad

Bahasa is spoken in Indonesia.

Jun. 05 2008 01:31 PM
Dan from Kearny, NJ

A woman in the office came to my desk with an invoice for something, and she was smoking (it was allowed then). I have never smoked, never even tried it. I began to fan the smoke away from myself and she remarked, "Oh..what are you - one of those?" And I calmy asked her, "How would you like it if I stood next to you at your desk and farted?"

She never did it again and actually quit smoking.

Jun. 05 2008 01:28 PM
Jennifer H from NYC

Dear David -

You are so brilliant - more houses to you!

Jun. 05 2008 01:27 PM
levsj

I will tell the truth.

The day Obama started trying to quit cigarettes (last yr) is the day I decided to become an Obama dude. Is that shallow?

Jun. 05 2008 01:23 PM
Laura from UWS

Bless David Sedaris and Leonard Lopate and congratulations on giving up smoking. A colleague of mine recently died of lung cancer. . . . not even middle aged yet even.

It was extra fun to see David Sedaris on TV for the first time--he seemed so much more comfortable and relaxed than when I first heard him on the radio. Success suits him.

My favorite stories are those I identify with most....personal experience having jobs where one wears a costume.....studying in France....

Jun. 05 2008 01:22 PM
Chris from astoria

Mr. Sedaris has written a number of times about his affinity for the daytime soap opera, One Life To Live. Does he still watch it, and if so, does he plan to write about it again?

Jun. 05 2008 01:17 PM
PP from Queens

Favorite story: Jesus Shaves hands down!
Thank you, David Sedaris, for bringing laughter and joy once again into my life.

Jun. 05 2008 12:54 PM
Avivah from Brooklyn

David Sedaris in print poignant and very funny; David Sedaris reading David Sedaris nod-your-head-off-your-neck-in-agreement and laugh-your-arse-off-your-seat funny.

Carry on.

Jun. 05 2008 12:46 PM
Rick from Brooklyn

I'm upset with David Sedaris!
No, really- I started reading his books when I first came to New York City from Georgia. I was excited to live the funny, wacky New York City lifestyle he protrayed. Instead, I found hipsters, The Housewives of New York, and gentrification.

David conveniently forgot to mention how superficial and monotonous New York City can really be.

Jun. 05 2008 12:43 PM
Drew Bourrut from Smithtown, NY

I'd really like to know how the publisher got permission to use the famous Van Gogh Skeleton head smoking on the cover of the book.

It really startled me to see my favorite Van Gogh as the cover of the book.

Thanks

Jun. 05 2008 12:32 PM
SRD from Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

"Me Talk Pretty One Day," The line "..making hte most of our pathetic French, my fellow students and I engaged in the sort of conversation commonly overheard in refugee camps."
'Sometimes me cry alone at night.'

This story ALWAYS cracks me up.

Jun. 05 2008 12:05 PM