Lewis Black, Man of Little Faith

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Daily Show regular and bestselling author Lewis Black finds the funny side of religion. He writes about his own religious experiences – including Hebrew school, drug-induced visions, and psychics – in his new book, Me of Little Faith.

Suzanne Jensen from Salt Lake City, Utah

Just finjshed "Me of Little Faith" and loved it. My granddad gave me these words of wisdom when I was maybe 7. He said Suzy you can always tell a smart person, they think just like you do. Loved the chapter on the LDS/UT and I was born here, just figure if there is such a thing as Karma, that I am working off a whole lot of bad Karma. I left the LDS Church at a very young age and have always considered it a cult, albeit, a very rich and politically powerful cult (esp here in Utah). Not only do the mormons baptize dead people but the men can have themselves sealed to more than one woman so that in death they can have multiple wives. Anyway I agree all religions are suspect esp in this day and age. Thanks for the book and it's good to know that there are other's who think and feel similarly regarding all this.

Jun. 25 2008 09:16 AM
Edward from Larchmont

Lewis Black is harmless, funny and honest, in comparison to Hitchens, et al., who are deadly serious, incorrect, and un-factual.
Religion is part of the virtue of justice, since it is in justice first that we worship God (Aquinas, etc.).
Some religions have less of the truth than others, but it's, of course, a fundamental and legitimate human purpose. We don't give up democracy because of a few scoundrels.

Jun. 05 2008 08:18 AM
George from Brooklyn!

I realize that this is hours after the interview, but my girlfriend and I were just talking about how much we enjoyed this segment, and in particular how funny Leonard was. My favorite comment? Jor-El and scientology.

Jun. 04 2008 05:58 PM
Gene

Wow! What a loss to Weekend Update!! And us! Can you imagine a Fay/Black WU??

Jun. 04 2008 01:58 PM
Jeffrey Slott from East Elmhurst

What the suckers who followed the guru Maharaji told people who wondered why the kid had all these cars and such was "If you weren't so obsessed over material things, you would not question it". How's that for twisted?

Jun. 04 2008 01:57 PM
Skeptic

Wow Lewis Black is a moron if he believes this psychic crap.

Jun. 04 2008 01:56 PM
chestinee from NY NY

Lewis I (lapsed Catholic, honorary Jew) get invited to the best Seder every year - all the kids were in the Met choir and the singing is great - they harmonize - I'm sure they'd love to have you at theirs!

Jun. 04 2008 01:49 PM
j from nyc

not to be disrespectful, but lewis not having a discussion with christopher hitchens about why people should not read his book if it's just going to make them angry??!!..WHA??

i would S-O pa-to-see-that. [i miss celebrity deathmatch too..]

and thanks for the stuff about 'Christ killers' now being officially removed off the Vaticans' list - now i suddenly feel all macho about my childhood, and the obnoxious grade school age neighbor who used to scream that at me from down the street after she and her family came back from church almost every Sunday for about 4 years. Better than Oprah.

Jun. 04 2008 01:47 PM
Phoebe from NJ

@Gene: Julia Sweeny "Letting Go Of God".

All 3 fine comedians.

Jun. 04 2008 01:46 PM
Gene

With apologies to Kübler-Ross:

The 5 Stages of Atheism:

1. Denial: Time's "Is God Dead?" Cover

2. Anger: The rise of Christian Conservatives/Right Wing

3. Depression: Our reaction to the rise of Christian Conservatives/Right Wing

4. Acceptance: The recent spate of books by Dawkins, Hichens, etc.

5. Hilarity: Lewis Black, Bill Maher, and who's next?

Jun. 04 2008 01:44 PM
Jason from Brooklyn

Speaking of Sam Harris, he's not an anti mystic per se. He's written quite a lot about the experiences of mysticism and meditation (much to the chagrin of many other athiests) and he shares Black's position on it, more or less.

Jun. 04 2008 01:41 PM
Zev from Battery Park area, South of the Bull

Thanks for bringing Mr. Black to your show!
I've enjoyed his Comedy Central specials, as well as a few live performances.
Williamstown! I appreciate that he feels comfortable there...the summer theater, the Clark, the parking, the level sidewalks...gevalt!!!!

Jun. 04 2008 01:39 PM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

LEWWWW!!

Keep up the good work!

Jun. 04 2008 01:36 PM
eva

big lewis black fan
from itunes i got his 20-min riff on performing in front of Dick Cheney and the congressional whatever.
it is so goddamn funny
esp his parents getting the last word with Wolfowitz. or not getting the last word

Jun. 04 2008 01:34 PM
eligit from astoria

dang katrina....what are the chances we would use the EXACT same phrase? totally unintentional.

either way...it's true.

Jun. 04 2008 01:33 PM
eligit from astoria

ah, lewis black....sweet balm of hilarity.

his new show is kind of "meh"...but his commentaries on the daily show never fail to entertain.

i can't wait for the freaked out comments.

Jun. 04 2008 01:31 PM
Katrina Bukovac from Oberlin, OH

Oh, God, Lewis Black never fails to entertain! Thanks!

Jun. 04 2008 01:28 PM
Phoebe from NJ

Religion should be mocked, hard and often.

Jun. 04 2008 01:24 PM