Catcher Gary “The Kid” Carter on Life in the Major Leagues

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hall of Fame catcher Gary "The Kid" Carter talks about the ups and downs of his 19-year career in the major leagues, and what he thinks about how baseball has changed in his lifetime. His new memoir is Still a Kid at Heart: My Life in Baseball and Beyond.

Montreal Expo Fan from manhattan

In addition to NY Mets fans, Gary Carter is fondly remembered by Montreal Expo fans for his role helping make Expos teams in the late 70's and early 80's contenders.

Sorry to hear about the multiple surgeries on his knees.

Thanks to Gary Carter for his the years of terrific play and now for his perspectives and memories.

Apr. 30 2008 02:39 PM
JayJay from Staten Island NY

I'm not a baseball fan, but Gary sounds so nice, I feel like reading his book!

Apr. 30 2008 01:00 PM
Matt from Manhattan

Manage the mets!

Apr. 30 2008 12:38 PM
Stephanie from Brooklyn

I'm wondering if Gary Carter remembers my cousin Ken Jaffe from Fullerton.

My cousins ate, slept, and drank baseball, (and still do; Ken has played with Herbie Hancock and Tom Hayden). The day we arrived in Fullerton on one of our many trips out there in the 50's and 60's Ken's older brother broke his leg while sliding into third. Because of that summer I've always been able to identify the tibia and fibula.

Apr. 30 2008 12:38 PM
Chicago Listener

did he stay in touch with bill buckner over the years and does gary have any thoughts on buckner's struggles and eventual redemption? in other words, has the nature of sports and sports fans changed over the years?

Apr. 30 2008 12:14 PM
Chris O from New York

I wonder if almost all major leaguers were pitchers and shortstops in high school. That is where the best players usually play.

Apr. 30 2008 12:11 PM
shc from Manhattan

I love that GC is on your show, thanks to both of you!! Gary is the one who brought me into the game as a lil' 8 year old girl, all those years ago.

Apr. 30 2008 12:10 PM
Jack Krug from Madison, NJ

Bottom of the 10th, 1986 World Series, Gary hit the most unsung, unheralded,almost forgotten clutch hit EVER. With the Red Sox one out away from winning it all, with 'Congratulations Red Sox' actually flashing on the Diamond Vision screen, 'the Kid' refused to be that last out, singling to left and igniting the most exciting 20-minute rally in baseball history. What a great game, this baseball! Gary, 'YOU DA MAN!' THANK YOU!

Apr. 30 2008 11:05 AM
drew from bushwick

As a lifelong Mets fan, Gary Carter was my childhood favorite. On the 86 Mets that featured a bunch of young brash player (dykstra, gooden, strawberry, orosco) he seemed to me to be a calming element even as an 8 year old. Later I read "The Bad Guys Won" about that team and was shocked, although not surprised, at the antics and well, criminal behavior that would later blight the careers of gooden and strawberry especially. Carter seemed to remain above the fray, and is portrayed as a bit of an outsider. It's nice when your role model plays his role resposibly even amongst the showier band of hooligans I grew up loving.

Apr. 30 2008 10:30 AM