Leonard’s Easter Gospel Special

Friday, March 21, 2008

Join Leonard for his annual Easter gospel music special. Here’s the playlist:

”Take the Lord Along With You,” Alex Bradford (music played under billboard)
“One Day,” Angelic Gospel Singers and the Dixie Hummingbirds
“The Hammer Rings,” Mmr. Edna Gallmon Cooke
“Salvation is Free,” Mahalia Jackson
"One Day," RH Harris and the Soul Stirrers
"Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone?" Sam Cooke and Paul Foster with the Soul Stirrers
“Out on a Hill,” Johnny Taylor with the Soul Stirrers
“What About Me?” Swanee Quintet
“At the Cross,” Clara Ward
“Can’t No Grave Hold My Body Down,” Marion Williams
"What Manner of Man is This?" Jackie Verdell with the Davis Sisters
“Can’t No Grave Hold My Body Down,” Sister Rosetta Tharpe
“The Sun Didn’t Shine,” Alphabetical Four

Leonard Lopate
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Amy McNamara from Brooklyn

Oh how I would love it if I could click a link and buy this playlist and have a portion of my purchase support your show...
Thanks for these gospel shows. They're awesome.

Jan. 25 2009 02:02 PM
David from Brooklyn

Just to voice a contrary opinion, I always find this the least interesting segment of the year. I'd just as soon you skipped it (though I think it is still better than Brian's annual MLK day bad poetry contest, which I think is the absolutely most loathsome programming on NPR, ever). I generally really like your show Leonard, just not this segment!

Mar. 21 2008 04:21 PM
Steve from Brooklyn

Great show, Leonard. I wish you did even more music specials! How about a monthly gospel show?

Mar. 21 2008 12:48 PM
Ollie

Why do I/we have to "wait until next year" as Leonard stated? I would appreciate your help in locating some of this wonderful music.

Mar. 21 2008 12:47 PM
Jason from Ny,NY

Didn't this segment last the entire show last year? Would really appreciate 2 hours of Leonards private collection.

Mar. 21 2008 12:43 PM
Margaret from Brooklyn

I love this music. I wish there was a Leonard Lopate music hour more often, and I second the thanks for posting the playlist

Mar. 21 2008 12:31 PM
Mike from NYC

Great music! Particularly appreciate the song list posted online.

Mar. 21 2008 12:24 PM