Gabriel Byrne on HBO’s “In Treatment”

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gabriel Byrne plays therapist Paul Weston in the innovative new HBO series "In Treatment." The show follows him through his week of sessions with 4 clients.

Gabriel Byrne
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Karla from California

I love Gabriel Byrne, he is a very good actorn, indeed I love his accent. He is the best, Yes he had some errors in his entrview about the names and stuff but ts ok. All people mde mistakes. I love Bryne!

Jun. 03 2008 10:39 PM
Placida from New York

I love the accent. It's a part of Byrne's character's blue collar past. I agree, he is soo good looking and it's so relaxing to watch a quiet and absorbing show like this. I want to jump in my car and drive right over. The therapy techniques are awesome; I get so much insight for myself just from watching. This is quality therapy that can't be beat for the subscription price.

May. 11 2008 05:28 PM
Julie from Jersey Shore

Gabriel Byrne is the most under-rated actor ever!! IT was a great show for people who can sit and listen and think for at least 30 mins. It seems HBO is more interested in shallow, fancy dressed skanks.. but I hope they hae enough sense to make season 2!!!! BTW... with acting.. if the where the character is from is not specified or important to the part.. the actor should do it in their own voice and accent. Acting 101.

May. 06 2008 10:21 AM
Faith from Phila., PA

"In Treatment" represents television at its best. This show makes you think and emote; the acting is stellar. I am extremely sad that it may be ending since I've never experienced anything like it before, and don't know whether a show of this ilk will come again. There are many others who feel as I do, and I want to implore fans to contact HBO and insist on a season two.

Mar. 28 2008 08:27 PM
Tina from New York

Although I've never been in therapy, after tonight I may have be "in treatment" to wean myself off this show! I have watched it religiously at
9:30 p.m. each week night since the first episode. The acting and writing is superb and I will miss all these fascinating/complex characters, especially the gorgeous "Dr. Weston"! HBO, please bring it back for a second season!

Mar. 28 2008 05:20 PM
John L. Friedman, MD from Phoenix, Arizona

"In Treatment" is absolutely the best drama that I have ever experienced on TV , or, perhaps, anywhere. The acting by Gabriel Byrne and the entire cast is really superb, and the production is excllent. I hope it continues .We need high quality television series like this. Thanks to HBO and the Israelis for a great job!

Mar. 27 2008 09:00 PM
wanda from rochester mn

Yes I hope HBO can afford a few schillings for that expensive set so we can all watch GB for another season. Totally enthralling television. Well done . Brilliant. Season two in Isreal just ended.

Mar. 27 2008 02:04 PM
wanda from rochester mn

They called Melissa George Melissa Gilbert like four times!

Mar. 27 2008 01:50 PM
cindy from boston

Great interview! Love, love, love In Treatment. Hope HBO comes back with a second season. Signed up for HBO to see the amazing Gabriel Byrne!

Mar. 27 2008 01:33 PM
mary murrell from CA

Not convinced by his explanation for keeping the irish accent ... That it was for the "good" of Americans!

Mar. 26 2008 05:31 PM
helge deaton from princeton, nj

I have to admit that to me the important part of this series has to do with how credible people are and how credible the process of treatment is. I have very mixed feelings - some good, some critical. Is this real? Perhaps the closest real I have ever seen on a screen. The therapist ( and his supervisor) has great boundary issues - and to me it would make no difference if he would choose to work outside his home. It seems that what applies to his patients no longer applies to himself though I admit I have not seen the end of the story. I think the teenager Sophie is the most believable. Enough said.

Mar. 25 2008 04:30 PM
Heather from Amherst, MA

Great show. Terrific host. Wonderful guest. Thank you so much.

Mar. 24 2008 01:46 AM
June Hayes from Granada Hills, CA.

Gabriel Byrne is HOT. What an incredible actor. He is my new favorite. The chemistry between him and Melissa George is as close to real i have ever seen. I sure hope HBO gives us a second season. IN TREATMENT is a pleasure.

June

Mar. 23 2008 01:38 PM
Gary Marks from New York, NY

I also noticed some of the actors names were not pronouced correctly. It is unfortunate, but it does not take away from the fact that "In Treatment" is a very well done and beautifully acted show. I will be sad to see it end.

Mar. 21 2008 03:25 PM
Kathy from Glen Cove, NY

I think "In Treatment" is one of the most beautifully crafted and fascinating programs that HBO has ever broadcast. I love that Gabriel Byrne spoke with Leonard, as this show can't be appreciated enough. I'm always surprised and touched by each episode and I only wish its run would be extended.

Thank you for keeping us up-to-date with Gabriel Byrne, for whom I have new admiration and respect because of this project.

Mar. 19 2008 11:21 AM
Annie McGill

I'm so glad that WNYC is doing these podcasts. I was just going into work when the line up for this show was announced and I thought I would have to miss this interview with Gabriel Byrne, an actor I greatly admire. I don't subscribe to HBO so I was happy to hear Mr. Bryne's lovely accented voice coming over the air. It was an interesting and thoughtful conversation and I was glad to be able to "eavesdrop".

Mar. 18 2008 11:26 PM
hjs from 11211

we're learning a lot about LL today.
thanks for shareing, we like when u open up.

GB forgot the line "anyone but Gabriel Byrne"

Mar. 18 2008 01:55 PM
Karen Solitaire from New jersey

Listening to the interview w/ Gabriel Byrne, in referring to the actress who plays Laura, both Lenny & Mr. Byrne referred to "Melissa Gilbert". Incorrect! the actress is Melissa George. Strange that Mr. Byrne did not remember her name and correct Lenny's error. Also, at one one point Lenny referred to Blair Underwood as Blair Townsend.

Mar. 18 2008 01:55 PM
Jenny from Brooklyn

The actresses who play Laura and Amy haven't exactly concealed their Commonwealth accents.

Mar. 18 2008 01:34 PM
judy from NYC

Love Gabriel Byrne's "accent". Glad he kept it in the role.

Mar. 18 2008 01:33 PM