Please Explain: Science of Love

Friday, February 08, 2008

Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Please Explain is all about the science of love.

Rutgers anthropologist Dr. Helen Fisher is author of Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray and Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love. University of Illinois at Chicago biologist Dr. C. Sue Carter is co-director of UIC's Brain Body Center.

Weigh in: Do you believe that love at first sight is an actual physical occurrence? Have you experienced it?

Dr. Helen Fisher

TishTash from Merrick, NY

Correction! When we talk about acquired characteristics (including genes) being heritable, it's not Linnaeus (who classified organisms and is considered the father of taxonomy) who's being vindicated, but Lamarck!

Feb. 15 2008 03:36 AM
Adria from Washington Heights

How do you know if you are one of the people who cannot form pair bonds? What can you do about it?

Feb. 09 2008 01:04 AM
cassie from nj

what a wonderful show Leonard! I am going out to buy your guest's book today!

Feb. 08 2008 01:54 PM
Moiz Kapadia

Does marijuana effect the way one might experience love?

Feb. 08 2008 01:50 PM
Ellie from Brooklyn

If once we understand all the science behind the love, will love poetry cease to exist?

Feb. 08 2008 01:43 PM
cassie from nj

Listening to the guests I get a saddness when I remember the joy of romantic love.

Feb. 08 2008 01:21 PM
a woman from manhattan

Does one's chemistry change as one gets older? Could this explain the way people begin to lose interest in each other at menopause and middle age?

Feb. 08 2008 01:21 PM
Debbie from Long Island

Have you tested "love" via parent and child's love or child's love for parent?

Feb. 08 2008 01:13 PM
a woman from manhattan

I'd like to hear the addiction to the crazy-obsessive love talked about. I find that many of my friends are simply addicted, and unable to proceed to the more stable love. They need their fix. They have nothing but intense, short affairs which always end in disappointment. Many find eventually that if they're not going crazy-obsessed over someone, they lose interest. This leads to the way women say things like "I only have good sex with bad men. The good men are boring in bed." I maintain that they're simply not getting their fix, and wouldn't know true love from their... elbow.

Feb. 08 2008 01:12 PM
chestine from NY

i have definitely experienced love at first sight. We were both unavailable and it wouldn't go away.

Feb. 08 2008 01:06 PM
Tom from Edison, NJ

BTW, sorry for my previous off-topic post. I thought this was a science show. Regardless, yes I have experienced love at first sight. I think Eric Berne wrote interesting things on this topic but generally speaking I don't believe what he wrote. I prefer to think that love is a mystery.

Feb. 08 2008 11:31 AM
ABC from NYC

I think the attraction happens unconsciously(mind), then takes on a biological/chemical process in the brain. A mind/body reaction. It has happened to me and it felt as if my conscious mind was not in the driver's seat (not my ego, but my unconscious - the id).

Feb. 08 2008 08:18 AM