Please Explain: Mormons and the Church of LDS

Friday, February 01, 2008

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism) is the fastest-growing religion in the world. On Please Explain, find out about the basic tenants of the Mormon faith...and how the church's history has influenced its culture. Also: how the recent death of church president Gordon B. Hinckley will affect the church.

Laurie Maffly-Kipp is associate professor in the Religious Studies at UNC-Chapel Hill. She's also co-editor of Proclamation to the People: Nineteenth Century Mormonism and the Pacific Basin Frontier, to be published this month by the University of Utah Press.

Laurie Maffly-Kipp

carmen miller from springfield, mo

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. 2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adams's transgressions. 3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. 4. We believe that the first principles and ordinves of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; Second, Repentance;third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins;fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

These are just some of our beliefs, you can find more FACTS on mormon.org
God bless

Jul. 18 2009 01:40 AM
Tom from Seattle

All these comments come off as quite biggoted. There can be no defense against lies and half-truths. We are ordinary people with feelings just like you. It's a shame you can't trust a Mormon to tell you what's in his/her heart.

Feb. 10 2008 12:37 PM
tim from covington KY

Thank you for for bringing Ms Maffly-Kipp onto your show. Please bring her or some other well informed non-mormon onto the show for at least an hour in the future. LDS culture is an enigma for most Americans outside of the Morman faith community. Regardless of the Presidential outcome this specific native born faith continues to captivate the American public's imagination.

Feb. 04 2008 07:16 PM
DTCguy from Colorado

Good thing this is not a court of law. All of this hearsay "evidince" about mormons would be tossed in a second. Get your facts before you pontificate about my religion. I would think the same sort of "evidence" could be construed about Baptists all being member of the KKK. I have heard it but my gut tells me it's not true so I'll ask a Baptist if I really want to know not spread it through Blogs.

Feb. 01 2008 05:27 PM
cj from Livingston, NJ

Ya! The ending was so abrupt. Not like usual Lopate show.

Feb. 01 2008 05:24 PM
Stephen from Manhattan

I agree the guest should have been given more time. Please do another segment on Mormonism. May I suggest Richard Bushman or Terryl Givens as good Mormons who are able to explain the faith from an insiders point of view.

Feb. 01 2008 02:12 PM
Gene

Re: Evangelicals being upset Mormons think they're the best religion.

Almost all religions are based on 1) conversion and 2) exclusivity.

Evangelicals themselves claim unless you are born again, you're out of any real religious loop.

And I know Catholics also used to preach that unless you were Catholic, no matter how good you were, you would be denied Heaven (limbo wasn't so bad, but it wasn't Heaven).

These aspects--so ignorant, so provincial, so aggressive like an insulted witch doctor, so destructive in history--are my litmus tests for any religion I am even remotely interested in.

I _greatly_ admire the religions that don't seem to do this--Judaism and various Eastern faiths being the ones I can think of at the moment.

Feb. 01 2008 02:05 PM
Therese Mageau from Brooklyn NY

Couldn't you have planned your time a little better on this segment? I thought it was extremely rude the way Ms. Maffly-Kipp was cut off. And not even an apology to her or to the listeners. Very disappointing behavior.

Feb. 01 2008 02:02 PM
Henry from Manhattan

Temple worthy, temple schmurvy, the religion and its government are not transparent and hence dangerous.

Feb. 01 2008 01:59 PM
Steven

Curious if there has been a reaction from the Mormon Church about the show Big Love.

Feb. 01 2008 01:57 PM
Henry from Manhattan

How can the 'expert' be an expert if she is not a mamber and is not allowed into the inner sanctum?

Feb. 01 2008 01:52 PM
Michael from Brooklyn

What supposedly happened to this elder race (or tribe) that traveled over from the old world and settled in the Northeast?

Feb. 01 2008 01:51 PM
tara from brooklyn

I'm wondering what the religious position of the guest is, as I feel like she's not commenting on some of the more negative things I've read about Mormons. Does she identify herself as Mormon?

Feb. 01 2008 01:50 PM
Dan from NJ

Keeping in mind my previous comment, I do appreciate how Ms. Maffly-Kip resists the urge to giggle as she relates the precepts of the church.

Feb. 01 2008 01:48 PM
Dan from NJ

I hear what you're saying, Lenny, but please remember that the beliefs of Mormons are no more ludicrous than those of other religions.

Feb. 01 2008 01:40 PM
Peter from New York City

Regarding the admission of black people to the priesthood, I seem to recall that the church only changed its policy when threatened with the loss of its tax-exempt status in 1978. When in doubt, follow the money...

Feb. 01 2008 01:39 PM
anne

When I visited Israel 10 years ago, I was told that there is an extremely large number of Mormons who visit (not so strange). But the reason this person said they came was at least partially because converting all Jews is central to the religion. Is this true? If so, why?

Feb. 01 2008 01:36 PM
MiskaMuska from Midtown

When I was in college, I was approached by 2 Mormon guys who asked me "Do you know Jesus Christ?" Do Mormons believe Jesus Christ as Christians do?

Feb. 01 2008 01:28 PM
ab

but it seems that they do claim they are Christians though (from what I've seen).

It's an irrelevant question to me. They believed darker skin was a "curse" until 1979 and even then they only claimed the "curse" was lifted....not that they were wrong and racist. That's all I need to know. No Mormons in the White House!

I can't really understand the statement about Romney seeming to be honest...ummm...he comes off as the slickest, most plastic, flip-flopping, blowing whichever way the wind blows, fake politician of all time!

Feb. 01 2008 11:53 AM
Kim Byham from Guttenberg, New Jersey

The oft-asked question is, are Mormons Christians? Unfortunatley only fundamentalist Christians seem willing to address this. I am emphatically not one. However, the answer is fairly obvious. Mormons believe that if one is a faithful Mormon, MALE, married and has sufficient decendants, one can become god of one's own planet. Hence, GOD is married (there is a Mrs. God or various Mrs. Gods, but one is not allowed to worship her), flesh and blood, and is only god of this planet, not of the universe. Consequently, the God of the Mormons is not the God of Christians, nor of Jews nor or Muslims. Although Mormons admit this when asked directly, they do not emphasize this when describing their beliefs.

Feb. 01 2008 09:33 AM
Henry from Manhattan

Although Romney has some good ideas and good turnaround experience, I'd hate to have someone in the white house who is part of any non-tranparent religion, no matter if it is Mormonism, or Scientology, or whatever.

You cannot attend a Mormon wedding in the inner sanctum of the church if you are not a member.

On the outside, Romney appears to be a clean-dealing honest person, but as I said, I'm afraid of what is on the inside of that religion, which isn't open to the public.

Feb. 01 2008 01:47 AM