John Edwards Quits the Race

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tune in for live coverage of John Edwards's announcement that he's dropping out of the race for the Democratic nomination. And WNYC hosts Leonard Lopate and Brian Lehrer talk about Edwards's speech, and what his absence could mean for voters and the remaining candidates.

Brian Lehrer and Leonard Lopate

Anthony from NYC

thanks for your work. for upcoming announcement about John Edwards, here is a YouTube Link about why we should have voted for the man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2JJsy2dVFc

Jan. 31 2008 12:38 PM
Andrea from CT

Listening today to the comments just before Edward's remarks I was saddened and taken aback that his good looks and being a lawyer were two of the reasons he didn't make it. What a sad and sorry commentary about the two hosts of a national and well respected program. I hope on election day every American finds more important things to contemplate when making this very important decision.

Jan. 30 2008 08:19 PM
James from New York

During Bill Clinton's administration the rate of poverty declined from 15.1 % (1993) to 11.8% (Nov. 2000), nearly 3.3%, which translates to roughly a 20% reduction in the rate of Americans in poverty. The overall unemployment rate declined from just over 6% to 4.2% (for African Americans from 13% to 7.6%) and the number of new jobs created was 22 million. The Federal budget went from big deficits to modest surpluses, which caused interest rates to decline, which partly accounts for that great economic performance. Median incomes for ALL Americans increased by 13.3% from 1993 to 2000, after many years of stagnation under the Reagan-Bush I years. If one cares about reducing poverty in America, Hillary Clinton is the logical choice. She will continue the same kind of moderate & reponsible progressive policies which gave us those great numbers during Bill Clinton's presidency. Bill & Hillary gave us real reductions of poverty in the 1990s and we can build on that proven record of success with more of the same if Hillary becomes President.

Jan. 30 2008 01:44 PM
ab

I too find it really incredible that anyone could deny the amount of power and influence that corporations now have on our government and on our country in general when that influence is so blatantly obvious.

Jan. 30 2008 01:30 PM
hjs from 11211

I'm still voting for Edwards. if he gets some delegates he will still have some influence the race.

I don't know if obama will fight for democratic principles. he's untested.

Jan. 30 2008 01:29 PM
Kathy from Hoboken

I too am saddened by Edwards quitting the race. This is the first time since I have lived in NJ (more than 25 years) that we had a primary that mattered and now the choice has been narrowed to just two candidates. I envy my sister who lives in New Hampshire who had an opportunity to see all of the candidates close up. Edwards message resonated with me and from my sister's experience at a small gathering with him, his character and willingness to listen and discuss issues is unparalleled. Now I have to make a second choice--not sure which way to go.

Jan. 30 2008 01:29 PM
quinn from Manhattan

It seems that Obama and Edwards are very similar, but Edwards reflects where we are now (supposedly), whereas Obama reflects how we wish to see ourselves.

Still it's unfortunate that we are now down to a two-person Democratic campaign season - and it's only just a day before February. It seems too early to only have a two-person season.

I will miss Edwards (as well as Kucinich).

Jan. 30 2008 01:28 PM
chestine from NY

Brian! You doubt taht corps run this country? Our congress? How many corps control media? So how do we get our info? (even public media have corporate donors now)

Jan. 30 2008 01:25 PM
Ken from Upper West Side

FYI, Adlai Stevenson I (grandfather of the Adlai many of us remembered) was vice president in the second Cleveland administration and then was the VP candidate during the failed presidential bid of Cleveland's opponent, William Jennings Bryan, in 1900.

Jan. 30 2008 01:22 PM
Steve from Manhattan

Edwards might have had an effect on the platform, but how often does either party do anything that's in that document?

Also - today the callers can screw up the hosts' names and it won't matter.

Jan. 30 2008 01:20 PM
Margaret Gracie from Garrison, NY

I am crestfallen that Edwards is out of the race. Because I believe in him 100%, his endorsement will determine how I vote.

Jan. 30 2008 01:18 PM
slowereastside from manhattan

The media killed Edwards? HA!

Just replay Edwards' performance from 2004 debates -the difference between *that* Edwards and the current incarnation is too radical for any reasonable person to believe.

Edwards should be thankful that the press hasn't hammered on his transformation, as it his campaign never would have made it this far.

Jan. 30 2008 01:15 PM
James from New York

Edwards is dropping out most likely because his attempt to be the Bobby Kennedy of 2008 was utterly upended when the Kennedy clan passed him up to anoint Barack Obama the heir to the John-Bobby Kennedy legacy. This on top of Kerry also passing him up probably made him finally realize that it "ain't gonna happen"

Jan. 30 2008 01:12 PM