Thirty Ways of Looking at Hillary Clinton

Monday, January 28, 2008

We look into why Hillary Clinton provokes such a passionate response from many people – both for her and against her. Susan Morrison is editor of the essay collection Thirty Ways of Looking at Hillary: Reflections by Women Writers; Jane Kramer and Elizabeth Kolbert are two of the books' contributors.

Weigh in: What do you think of Hillary Clinton?

Elizabeth Kolbert, Jane Kramer and Susan Morrison

jsu from new York

Has anyone considered that the majority of educated women and young women can see through Hillary's facade and see that she is fack. While less educated woman cannot.
I agree that both Ted and Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama because they trust him more. They know Hillary personally and better than most so this is telling you something. Plus Ted probably did this becuase of Bill's race baiting in South Carolina (doing anything to win, win at any cost even if it destroys the democratic party) They know the emense Clinton arrogance. They feel they are untouchable and have a sense of entitlement. Has anyone considered that Kerry endorsed Obama because he was burned by Bill when Kerry was running for President. I remember there being many comments that Bill was not campaigning for Kerry in the begining. And there was gossip that Hillary wanted it that way so that she would have a chance to run in 2008.
A woman will be president of the USA and the UN. But we want the right woman not just a token.

Feb. 13 2008 05:59 PM
jsu from new York

If people stopped looking at Hillary Clinton as a woman and just a candidate we would see the problems with her candidacy and her policies. As far the words people use to discribe Hillary as somehow being sexist I think that it is over reaching. I have called Guiliani an ego maniac and questioned why he would even dare vie for the presidency. I have questioned why Obama didn't wait for more experience. The same way I have questioned why Hillary triangulates instead of just doing what is right. This is her failing and this has nothing to do with her being a woman it has to do with answering the question do I want this for a president. Maybe another time or situation but not now when we have another candidate that seems to be truthful and courageous.
I also concur with the panel that is she really a woman leader if she has to resort to the gender card and having Bill defend her and not stopping her.
And this issue of using the Hillary instead of Clinton it is just a ploy to somewhat separate her from Bill Clinton.
It is not that she is a woman that it is a problem, it is the fact that we feel we can't trust her. As far as her hair what about Trump's hair or the fact that people obsessed over how Bill Clinton's hair style changed during his presidency. We are looking for sexism here.

Feb. 13 2008 05:40 PM
al from brooklyn

being president of the US shouldn't be about breaking the glass ceiling. when woman runs on a platform i agree with, i'll vote for her.

hilary said she didn't move to ny so she could run for president. a lie. she won't even admit that voting for the war in iraq was a mistake.

it's just another case of the privileged white woman who is basically willing to tow the hegemonic line finding a place of power.

not interestested.

Jan. 31 2008 06:48 PM
afgail from California

No woman ever broke the glass ceiling by playing nice. If you want to win in a man's game you've got to be better at what men do than they are. Smarter, tougher, better informed, strong, assertive, able to lead, and above all just as driven. That's Hillary and more power to her. And that is why the neo cons hate her. When I was growing up girls didn't wear glasses and dummied down to attract a boyfriend. Hillary defies that unlamented paradigm.

Jan. 30 2008 07:17 PM
al from brooklyn

catholics vote pro-choice all the time. lots of catholics don't believe in every tenet of the religion. isn't that true of all religions?

i forgot to mention earlier in the thread, another reason i distrust hilary clinton is that she moved to my state in order to run for senate. i find that really sketchy.

Jan. 29 2008 09:20 PM
Edward Helmrich from Larchmont, NY

The question seems to be whether or not the Catholic Church will get to the Hispanic community, mostly Catholic, and convince them not to vote for pro-choice candidates, or if the Hispanic community will believe that Hilary Clinton is concerned about them (Elizabeth Kolbert). Catholics really can not vote for pro-choice people. And Hilary Clinton is violently pro-choice and pro-embryonic cell research.

Jan. 29 2008 08:33 PM
Eric from B'klyn

I have alwarys been struck by the Ultra right's hysterical visceral reaction and hatred of her and Bill. and wonder what is at the root of it. Is it just that she is a woman? that she is breaking the mold of the ideal American woman: passive and deferrential. While there may be some dislike of her among the Ultra-right elite, all of the over-the-top hysteria seems completely calculated and contrived to demonize her with the 'base'. David Brock of Media Matters for America talks about the Right-wing machine's deliberate attempts to villify HRC and Anita Hill from the inside and could shed some light on this.

Jan. 29 2008 12:16 PM
cm

I think what people don't like about Hillary Clinton personally is that she does not reveal anything about personally about herself. I think Americans like friendly and personable politicans. Her husband Bill Clinton does show some of his "private" side.

I think women may feel this is a worse trait than men. I think in female socialbility I think it does show liking and trust to tell ones deep "secrets".

Jan. 29 2008 08:32 AM
Ronald Petrocco from Long Branch, NJ

As I listened to these women trot out their insecurities, I found myself shouting at them from behind my steering wheel, "Stop that! Get strong! Grow up! Claim your power! Vote for Hillary! Jump onto the saddle of this historic moment and ride your horse to victory!" I think these women have made careers out of feigned victimization. Hillary has made a career out of fighting hard until she's the last person standing. Choose Hillary's way. It's by far the better one. If you're not black and you're a woman or have daughters (as I do) or both, your candidate is Hillary. Vote for her. Is she a ruthless calculating opponent who gives no quarter and asks for none? Yes. That's why the Republicans are afraid of her and it's why she'll win.

Jan. 29 2008 04:39 AM
ab

Here,here!

What a dismissive and simplistic view to think that automaticaly just because one is critical of Clinton it means then it must be because one is being sexist (therefore everyone who have come out against her on this forum MUST be sexist.....that's just silly)

The fact of the matter is that her dem competitors are not necessarily all "just as political" as she and they haven't stooped to her dirty tactics. Nice try but the facts show otherwise.

Some of us aren't coming out against her due to being sexist but rather because we have judged the content of her record and her character!

Jan. 28 2008 05:43 PM
Alex in Harlem from Harlem

Um, sorry, I'm not sexist in the least. And falling back on old cliches of people not being able to handle a strong woman is bogus. I campaigned for Maria Cantwell in Washington State, Barbara Boxer in Cali, and Hillary in NY. I want a woman president. But over the course of this campaign all of Hillary's worst traits have been exposed. Her behavior has disgusted me, and I will not be voting for her. Plus she voted for the Iraq war, for the Bankruptcy bill, and she's funded by lobbyists/corporations. And on top of that she goes beyond being tough, to being ugly. I want to feel good again, and she makes me feel sad.

Jan. 28 2008 04:51 PM
Joe Adams from Bergen County, New Jersey

After the horrors of the past 7+ years including a stolen election, how can anyone attack Hill OR Barry? I admire both of them and Edwards too. I haven't finalized my decision on the primary - I may even pass. One thing nudges me slightly towards Hill. How livid with rage the talk show fascists and their stupid me-too parrots will be should she win. Missisippi might secede. Hillary is hated because she is bright, educated and has real, genuine compassion for the unfortunate. She won't smirk in your face.

Jan. 28 2008 03:33 PM
al fair from brooklyn

alexis: you might want to specify rich white men. and add heterosexual to that. and possibly able bodied. my dad didn't think he'd even get out of the working class white ghetto he lived in growing up. he didn't see a future for himself outside of what his father had been able to achieve.

the problem is that 'you can do anything you want' is never, ever true, for anyone. the problem isn't that women don't think they can be president. lots of them do. the problem is that we live in a capitalist patriarchal white supremacist system that the majority of americans don't want to acknowledge as all encompassing as it is.

Jan. 28 2008 02:43 PM
al fair from brooklyn

marla: the show was about hilary. there are criticisms of all the candidates all over if you just look. again, the problem is that mass media has no interest in telling you the truth about -any- of the candidates. they just want people to tune in or buy their paper or whatever and it's interpersonal drama that sells these days.

as i said, rudy's a fascist, ron paul is a racist. they're all liars. hilary being a woman may mean she is more popularly criticized, but being criticized more doesn't make her the best candidate for president.

Jan. 28 2008 02:40 PM
Marla from Manhattan

All the criticisms leveled at Hilary by the commentors on this page could be equally leveled at her rivals, who are as much politician, with all the maneuvering that entails, as she. But because she is female and a powerful female still evokes such a visceral anxiety in people, she will continue to be the target of misplaced aggression, which may cost her, and us the election.

Jan. 28 2008 02:13 PM
Alexis from at work

on sexism today: when i was in high school (mid 90s) i remember hearing the Salt&Peppa song that quotes the Maya Angelou line "i am a woman phenominally" and goes on to rhyme "i can be anything that i want to be" and starting to cry because it was at that moment that i realized i clearly *couldn't* be anything i wanted to be. if i was truely entitled to any future i chose, there wouldn't have to be a pop r&b song bolstering my ego. it would be a given, the way it is for white men in our culture. no one need to "motivate" them. they already know they can do whatever they want. while this song was marketed more to black girls and all girls of color who are at a greater disadvantage than white girls like me, it was a revelatory moment. having been raised by liberal and feminist-minded parents and reading Free To Be You And Me, i considered sexism to be officially dead. so, if your 13-year-old daughter thinks now that it's "no big deal" to have a woman president it could just be because she hasn't realized that no one else agrees with her.

Jan. 28 2008 02:09 PM
al fair from brooklyn

unfortunately, ron paul's a racist. so we're losing pretty much no matter what. liars, fascists, racists. just like the past few hundred years.

Jan. 28 2008 02:00 PM
chestine from NY

Rudy is a fascist and it certainly startles me that he is 9and i appreciate ron paul for saying we are in a "(soft) fascism"

Jan. 28 2008 01:58 PM
al fair from brooklyn

maria:

i know why i don't like hilary. she's a liar. simple enough.

Jan. 28 2008 01:58 PM
Jason Bogdaneris

Mr. Lopate,
I generally find you and your show excellent, but I think you're betraying a certain bias towards dated notions of a patriarchal mainstream media. Yes they obsess about her looks, voice, name etc. But remember the John Edwards haircut incident? Media in America focuses on the most superficial aspects of a candidate - thus the inordinate amount of attention on gender (Hillary) race (Barack) Religion (Romney)... the reason people have such a vehement reaction to Ms. Clinton is that her candidacy is based on nepotism, opportunism and careerism - in the worst possible way.
keep up the great work on the show!

Jan. 28 2008 01:58 PM
Marvin Ciporen from Brooklyn

This discussion holds Hillary Clinton to an impossible double standard. Because her husband was Present, the speakers imply that she should not seek higher office. Elizabeth Edwards (who I admire and respect) can vigorously defend her husband, but Hillary is less of an independent candidate when her spouse goes all out and perhaps overboard in her defense.

She is still the best prepared person to lead the nation.

Jan. 28 2008 01:57 PM
Marla from Manhattan

What I am hearing from the women inteviewed for the book is truly distressing. These women need to ask themselves why the "don't like" Hilary, or "resist" Hilary. It sounds like she just isnt "nice" enough for these ladies.

Hilary is an intelligent, successful powerful woman, being subjected to excessive and unfair criticism of her personality BECAUSE she is a woman.

Obviously a powerful woman still evokes a great deal of anxiety in both the general population, and obviously in these "feminists."

Seems no one can quite figure out what to do with an uppity woman.

Jan. 28 2008 01:55 PM
jawbone from Lake Hiawatha, NJ

If what Hillary actually showed is a "little crying jag" I'll eat my 2' x 1.5' paper educational ballot!

She was perhaps fighting tears, choking up, holding back tears--no way did she actually cry.

Sheesh.

Jan. 28 2008 01:54 PM
Virginia Cornue from Montclair, NJ

Sen Clinton would be our first Mother of the Nation...think about that.

I'm a cultural anthropologist and a looooooooogtime women's rights activist (ED of NOW-NYC during Roe V Wade and ERA Extension Drive.) Also long time HC supporter. Did my PhD work in post-Mao China studying social change and redefinitions of gender. Sen Clinton came to Beijing during the UN Women's conf in 1995 (part of my research) and she evoked wild support from Chinese women and some restrictions from the government. The women loved her brillance and agency. What the gov disliked was her criticism. But her leadership and grasp of power was never questioned. In the US I think her candidacy certainly evokes an ambivilence about women and power but something much much deeper. There is a national ambivilence, even outright hosltility and hatred towards older women. Think if you can of (m)any positive images of older women. And coupled with this deep hostility about older women is a deep and unresolved ambivilence about mothers. Women who are happy with their mothers and admire them as do I, admire HC. Women who are conflicted are conflicted about her and women who are ambivilent about their mothers are ambivilent. While we expect a male president to be the Father of the Nation (as in our Founding Fathers), I think the country is devided about accepting her or any woman as Mother of the Nation. They would rather stick with an authoritarian Father or an untried son. I'm hoping the country can grow up.

Jan. 28 2008 01:54 PM
Joyce Jacobs from Teaneck NJ

As a caller said on the Brian Lehrer show earlier today, we have had almost eight years of an amateur as president - Hillary Clinton is a professional and that is what we need right now.

Jan. 28 2008 01:51 PM
Maria Schafer from Manhattan

The idea that Hillary is polarizing seems to be largely a media driven statement. They say she's polarizing so she becomes polarizing, when in actual fact she has worked in a highly bipartisan way in the Senate, and rarely veers from a middle of the road perspective. How in heavens name is that polarizing. Plays well with others is how I think we referred to it in gradeschool.

It is in the media's interest to maintain this fiction - and it's to our detriment. How can any woman rise above the constant drumbeat of how difficult she is - it's a non-stop damned if you do, damned if you don't Kafka like environment!

Jan. 28 2008 01:51 PM
jawbone from Lake Hiawatha, NJ

Hhhmmmm--maybe Rudy! has been called a b****, but it hasn't gone viral or made the airwaves/cable. Not the way the woman in NC did, who asked McCain "How do we beat the b****?" And McCain laughed.

I also know of no other candidate being attacked in the way Roger Stone has done, with his C.U.N.T. anti-Hillary t-shirts.

Language barries have been broken in how the MCM (Mainstream Corporate Media) talk about Hillary. Even entertainment, where SNL had it's Halloween skit with Hillary being a witch.

Jan. 28 2008 01:51 PM
al fair from brooklyn

haha, ab, no doubt!

Jan. 28 2008 01:50 PM
gino from brooklyn

i don't understand why it isn't spoken about more that if she were to win the presidency we would have the same 2 families running the country for 24 years! that a 1/4 century!

she is disqualified on this point and the fact that she vote FOR THE WAR!!

Jan. 28 2008 01:49 PM
ab

#24 I have looked at it that way and the dirty tactics of her campaign make me conclude that i would rather vote for someone else. Let's not have Dems stooping to the level of republicans, shall we?

Jan. 28 2008 01:48 PM
jawbone from Lake Hiawatha, NJ

Someone on the show "knows" that Hillary's moment of tearing up was a "performance."

I do not know that.

I do know that women of her generation try desperately to never, ever let them know you're about to cry. in a work situation. I know the digging of fingernails into palms, biting one's tongue, trying to control beathing--anything to not "break down" in front of people.

Truly, I do not see that Hillary is that good an actress.

Jan. 28 2008 01:47 PM
ab

Giuliani is called a fascist due to his fascist tendencies

Jan. 28 2008 01:46 PM
betsy from brooklyn

a big question for me is is if H. Clinton were a man would i be supporting this candidate or not?
what if you take the fact that she's a woman out of the equation.

based on their stand on the issues, their voting record,do i like this person, do i trust this person. gut reaction, etc. If one looks at it from that p.o.v. it may clarify how one feels about her.

Jan. 28 2008 01:44 PM
al fair from brooklyn

ps. can we talk about the things hillary actually has said and done instead of how people feel about her? i'm so tired of hearing about how people feel about the candidates. i don't care how they feel. i want to know which candidate to vote for and to do that it seems like i have to do tons of research. shouldn't i have to do research in order to find out how other people feel about hillary and the media should be reporting on her policies and ideas? we've got people reporting opinions and 'strategies' and then we have people saying 'stop predicting the outcome before the votes are counted' but no one is actually telling me what the candidates stand for!

Jan. 28 2008 01:43 PM
Taher from Croton on Hudson

The ambivalence toward Hillary come’s from an infantilized image of all women as a mommy figure. Mommy is not mean, mommy is not calculated, and mommy is sweet and charming. What it says to me that many Americans voters have an extremely childish view of their politicians coupled by a touch of misogyny.
The British don’t think of Mrs. Thatcher as mommy but as a capable politician on whatever political side they were-are.

Jan. 28 2008 01:41 PM
al fair from brooklyn

words used for hillary clinton -are- used for the other candidates. rudy giuliani is called a fascist! it's just that no one listens to the people who say these things about the male candidates.

Jan. 28 2008 01:40 PM
Ashley Jackson from New Jersey

Any of these Democratic candidates will be an improvement from the Bush years.I would love to vote for a woman and see Hillary as a competent and capable leader, but, at 25, I am part of a generation that is very jaded about our country and political system. Frankly, I think the last two weeks have only reinforced the notion that the CLintons are far too divisive. They just elicit what we despise about politics. I have recently become a mother and I belive I owe myself and my child more. We need a president that will unite this country to address the monumental problems we face as a country and a world. Barack Obama can do that. He is the person to lead this person into a new era in U.S. politics.

In addition, I believe that Obama has a far better shot at winning the general election. If the Republican nominee is McCAin, the race will come down to character and the Clintons will not win that debate.

Jan. 28 2008 01:39 PM
M.D. Richards from New York City

I am a woman. I like Hillary Clinton.
I am an African-American woman. I plan to vote for Hillary Clinton in the primary.

M

Jan. 28 2008 01:37 PM
SS from Manhattan

That "Iron My Shirt" was a radio stunt:

Jan. 28 2008 01:35 PM
Michael Wolf from NY

1994's health care debacle left us considering her arrogant and uncompromising. But as a senator she's been amazing: intelligent, bipartisan, informed. Then I heard her speak at a fund raiser. She's no Bill Clinton, but she's very impressive. Reluctantly, I was won over. Obama can wait for 4-8 years, right?

Until two weeks ago. Now I believe the Republican line that she is all about win at all costs. Obama is a great candidate too, and we as democrats are so lucky to have this choice. So instead of a healthy debate, Hillary descends into what I've previously (naively) considered primarily Republican tactics: race bating, distortion, etc. I'm disappointed in Bill too.

Now I've decided that just as the less experienced Kennedy beat Nixon and Roosevelt beat Hoover, Obama can beat whoever the Republicans throw at us, and, like them, he'll be great. Would Hillary be as great? It's hard for a dirty politician to be anything but divisive, and we don't need that.

Better our bum than their bum, but in this case we don't have to make that choice when we've got Obama.

Jan. 28 2008 01:34 PM
Natalie Burrows from Brooklyn, NY

My opinion of Hillary Clinton has evolved over the years. It has become increasingly critical as I have seen her change her stands depending on what is popular at any one time. I simply do not trust her.
I believe she will say anything to get the votes she wants. Her refusal to admit that she made a mistake about the Iraq War; her stand against Iran; her large corporate and special interest contributors; her use of Bill Clinton as her "protector" and attack dog; her obtuse and opportunistic 1993 health plan a "giveaway to everyone"); all these have made me a strong opponent of a Billary presidency.
I am a senior citizen, retired professional, grandmother and graduate of a prestigious women's college.

Jan. 28 2008 01:34 PM
J Parenteau from NY, NY

My main objection are her utter lack of ethics. You have to go back to Nixon to find corruption on this level.
She may share my politics, by she certainly does not share my sense of morals.
Wish I had more space here. I could list substaniated details that would make your hair stand on end.

Jan. 28 2008 01:32 PM
Richard from Jamaica Hills

I was a supporter for many years until she voted for the war in Iraq. Since then I have done a more detailed investigation and found her to be disingenuous, responding to focus groups to the extreme. I do not know what she really stands for. The fact that Rupert Murdoch threw a fund raiser for her was most troubling.

Jan. 28 2008 01:31 PM
Ellen Brief from Westchester, NY

Why does Senator Rodham-Clinton provoke a passionate, often over-the-top negative response?

My suspicion is that an intrinsic and automatic revulsion against all strong, intelligent, accomplished and professional politically polished women is couched in specific barbs tossed in Senator Clinton’s direction. I have also heard - more than a handful of women - who don’t approve that a wife forgive a husband’s sexual transgressions express rage at her “weakness” rather than view her ability to forgive her husband as an expression of the Senator’s self-confidence.

For me she is a strong role model, a successful, smart woman, who can inspire all women to realize their full potential and reach for the top.

Jan. 28 2008 01:30 PM
Seamus Dolan from Binghamton, New York

Hillary is a woman. Barack is black. It makes no differene; they are both mainstream politicians. If anyone would like to see the fate of minorities improve, it's an obvious choice--Kucinich. How ironic is that.

Jan. 28 2008 01:29 PM
Roger from East Village

During her recent "emotional" moment, I noticed a softness in her voice that resonated with me, and perhaps the voters of New Hampshire. Unfortunately, one rarely sees or hears that quality that could more her so much more inspirational.

Jan. 28 2008 01:28 PM
David from NYC

A recent article in New York Magazine gave a balanced perspective of Hillary. She is extremely loyal, and she has what the country needs to get us back on track following four years of Bush derailment.

I am astounded at how the media has attempted to put forth the myth that Hillary and Bill have injected race into the campaign. How are factual statements an attempt to inject race into the campaign?

Hillary has my vote--and my wife's, too. Go Hillary!

Jan. 28 2008 01:26 PM
Hugh from Brooklyn

Through most of Bill Clinton's presidency, I thought Hillary Clinton would have made a better president. (I was never a great admirer of Clinton.)

But I have seen far too many of examples of how she (and her husband) will sink to the lowest levels merely to realize political ambition. Witness Bill's bombing of Iraq just days into his presidency (killing mostly civilians, including Iraq's leading woman poet).

Hillary is worse, reversing herself on health care, middle east policy, and a host of other issues. Her racist strategy of the past few weeks is only the most recent example. (And again, here, she echoes Bill's backstab of Jesse Jackson.)

Jan. 28 2008 01:26 PM
Randy Lichtenwalner from Westchester

I love Hillary. I've voted for her before, and I'll vote for her again...as senator. Any other year, I'd probably vote for her for president, too. But this year I'm voting for Barack Obama. In doing so, it isn't a vote AGAINST Hillary, but rather a vote for the person that I think will be best poised to inspire Americans and bring about change. I love Hillary, but the strong feelings that she inspires on both ends of the spectrum will continue to polarize the country, and many people would make it their mission to disgrace her and make her a one term president. With Obama I think we have a chance to unify diverse peoples (races, religions, parties...) to work toward some common goals. Hillary, as much as I love her, will inspire some people to work solely towards dethroning her, and not towards progress for the people. I think she'd be a great president, but not at this time. Is there any hope left for an Obama-Clinton ticket????

Jan. 28 2008 01:26 PM
John McAuliff from Dobbs Ferry, NY

I will vote for Barack Obama because I trust more his instincts and judgment on current foreign policy challenges.

It's not just their different records on Iraq and Iran. In addition I look to a counterproductive legacy of the cold war that does as much damage to US international standing as Iraq, our obsession with regime change in Cuba.

Barack will seek to negotiate a new relationship with Raul Castro without preconditions; Hillary will not. Barrack pledges unrestricted family reunion travel and remittances; Hillary does not. In fact she panders to the views of the hard line 36% minority of Cuban Americans in Miami. She supports Bush's harsh limit of family travel to once every three years rather than even her husband's policy of annual visits.

A comparison of Barack and Hillary's responses to a questionnaire from the anti-normalization Cuban American National Foundation can be found at http://candidatecubawatch.blogspot.com/

Rational relations with Cuba is not the only issue on which to base a vote in Tuesday's primary, but the contrasting views of the candidates suggest who is more likely to be a President capable of making the real changes necessary to restores our reputation in the world.

John McAuliff
Fund for Reconciliation and Development
Dobbs Ferry
jmcauliff@ffrd.org

Jan. 28 2008 12:24 PM
Leon Freilich from Park Slope

ADVICE TO PRESIDENT HILLARY

Give in to old-style nepotism

And on inauguration day

Name Bill ambassador to Chad--

Or someplace even farther away.

Jan. 28 2008 12:18 PM
ab

Well...is it possible to make any assesment of her while entirely leaving out the factor of her husband?

I think the reason so many people dislike Billary was displayed clearly this past week. They will stoop to anything, even race-baiting to win an election and hold on to power. I'm sure a lot of the dislike pointed toward Hillary is due to the fact that she is a strong woman...no doubt.

However, she is opportunistic and transparently disingenuous at times and has in regards to this campaign delved into shamefully dirty politics with her husband which only confirms many of the feelings that people have toward Billary that they will do anything to win and that at the core they have no real principles.

Jan. 28 2008 12:11 PM
Niclas from Stockholm

Hillary Clinton is no doubt a professional politician, but in this case that is exactly what is wrong with her. While she would represent change by virtue of being female and a democrat, I can't imagine her changing things as much as Obama would. Obama has that certain something (general charm and brilliance?) that Bill Clinton had and yet is a newer fresher version. If Hillary were a member of the general public I am sure that she too would vote for Obama.

Jan. 28 2008 12:09 PM
Alex in Harlem from Harlem

Um, how do I say this?

Yes, she's smart and very knowledgeable. But she's an inauthentic, angry, myopic, disingenuous, dishonest, arrogant, cynical, power hungry, race baiting, ridiculously opportunistic megalomaniac, with a terrible voice that sounds like a bleating goat.

And I'm a lifelong Democrat who campaigned for her and her husband. Let's put it this way: I can see clearly now.

Jan. 28 2008 11:05 AM
janey from NJ

I want her to be our next president. I think she is an expert - well-studied and strong-minded.

Jan. 28 2008 09:35 AM
Glenn from Manhattan

Man or worman, Hillary is a professional politician. That concept of professional to take care of our problems is easier for us, all the while we think we govern ourselves.

Hillary has no sense of leadership without making sure what she says or does will get or keep her elected.

Along with Whitewater, Travelgate, Foster et al, blanket support for unions no matter how corrupt each might be, and the above, she comes across as a fake to most honest people, I think. We'll see how that all plays out, ad nauseum in the next months.

Jan. 28 2008 02:24 AM