Stem Cell Research: A Doctor’s Personal Mission

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The debate over stem cell research became very personal for neurologist Dr. Jack Kessler when his own daughter became paralyzed in an accident. Now he believes that stem cells are the best hope for his daughter’s recovery, and he’s devoted his own career to researching them. Dr. Kessler is the subject of a new PBS Independent Lens documentary called "Mapping Stem Cell Research: Terra Incognita." It premieres on Friday, January 18 at 10:00pm on CHANNEL 13 (Thirteen/WNET New York).

Weigh in: Is the debate over stem cell research of personal significance to you?

Dr. Jack Kessler

Matt Clay from Mt ida Arkansas

if you need a person for your research i am willing to be one of them i think what your doing is a great thing and i would be willing t be one of the (guinny pig) if you want to contact me back please e mail me at Hotwheels42069@yahoo.com

Mar. 04 2008 09:35 PM
Matt Clay from Mt ida Arkansas

he understands the fact of a parilized person unlike the goverment i think what he is doing is a great thing i back ppls like him with a 100% i agree with stem cell research if we let ppls with his mind work on things like this we will soon be able to be able to walk agian we just all need to stand up and have the goverment give them the ability to work with this great work and keep it up ( 24yr old parapaligic)

Mar. 04 2008 09:29 PM
Rhonda from Denver CO

- your right - I am on the same stem cell enhancer - 18 months now and have completely reversed my fibromyalgia - I know lots of MS people, diabetes sufferers etc that have been getting dramatic results also - great to hear from you! (LOVE THE DOG PRODUCT!)

Great Website: www.cellsheal.com

Jan. 16 2008 09:16 PM
CellsHeal from colorado

I have been taking a daily supplement (StemEnhance) to support the natural release of my own adult stem cells. Many people are having unbelievable results will all sorts of ailments. More info website: www.cellsheal.com

I have my dog on a similar product for pets and he has been having tremendous results with his hip dysplasia.

I encourage everyone to try this Stem Cell Therapy product!

Jan. 16 2008 05:13 PM
galvo

stem cell research lost a couple years in the usa due to the presidential veto. paralyzed people are really tired of hearing that rats have been cured of sci for over 5 years and nada for humans.
there was a show on a couple days a go where a person with a disease such as ms was talking how they wouldn't change anything, that the disease made them strong and who they are. In the spinal cord injured world that is not the case, the people want to be cured, they want to walk and have control of functions that we take for granted such as breathing and etc.
many paralyzed people have severe nerve pain, that is very hard to manage or unmanageable even with high doses of medications cocktails. the medicines give another round of side effects that complicate matter more. a cure is needed and embryo stem cell is the way to go.
and to your question ,yes stem cell would help me personally

Jan. 15 2008 08:32 PM
hjs from 11211

are republicans fighting a war on science?

Jan. 15 2008 12:25 PM
Sue from North Salem, NY

Question: I banked the cord blood of both my children. Now I'm starting to hear about banking stem cells derived from menstrual blood. Your thoughts?

Jan. 15 2008 12:22 PM
chestine from NYC

for the meanwhile and you might find something interesting - i beg you/Alison to seek out Barbara Mindell, whose spine was severed in a car accident in 1967. She dragged herself around on her elbows for a decade before she started working with Emilie Conrad. Now she teaches movement and paints. Her movement is said to be more finely articulated than that of many dancers. Her website is http://www.barbaramindell.com/. Please don't dismiss this, it might do something for your research and your daughter.

Jan. 15 2008 12:18 PM
irina from New York

yes, it's personal for me. My daughter had a spinal cord injury due to the avm (Arteriovenous malformation). She was paralyzed from her waist down. She regained a lot of functions and she walks with a cane but she has a lot of troubles with walking and with her balance. She is 22 now.
Thank you so much to your guest for his work.

Jan. 15 2008 12:12 PM