Al and Larry Ubell, Gurus of How-To

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Father and son team Al and Larry Ubell answer your home repair questions. Call us at 212-433-9692, or leave a comment.
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Rick from Manhattan

Suggestion for the lady with the moth problem:

Check old woolen rugs, particularly on stairways to basements, etc, because larvae can grow there

Jan. 09 2008 01:57 PM
Hannah from Manhattan

We just took one of the stained glass windows out of a brownstone in Brooklyn in order to install a bulkhead, and the owner's looking to get rid of it, if the previous caller would like it...

Jan. 09 2008 01:50 PM
Beth Christensen from woodside

My recently purchased 1940's apartment has some plaster issues.
Apparently, when the windows were installed they destroyed the integrity of the casing. It's all crumbly and the metal is exposed. Can I just scrape off the plaster and put a skim on the metal, or will it, too, crumble? Also, the plaster in the bathroom has some puckering and flaking at the perimeter of a previous ceiling patch. IT's over the tub. Is there any hope of repairing and then keeping this nice, in a room with only a small window as ventilation?
Thanks!

Jan. 09 2008 01:47 PM
Delilah from Manhattan

Please don't talk about snaking toilets during lunch time!

Jan. 09 2008 01:40 PM
Steve from Manhattan

Al & Larry - any way to try to clear the toilet without pulling it?

Jan. 09 2008 01:39 PM
Daniel from Nyack, NY

No snaking sinks anymore...try flexisnake. Costs a couple of dollars and does the work!

Jan. 09 2008 01:38 PM
Julie from Brooklyn

A local store in Brooklyn has been doing its own construction building a "front porch" in a very makeshift way that I can not imagine is up to code (i.e. hanging a French door parallel as to be a window). I've not noticed a building permit and worry that this make shift patio is not safe.

Is there a number to call as a concerned citizen to have the building inspected?

Jan. 09 2008 01:33 PM
Francisco from Elizabeth, New Jersey

I am always listening your program. Is great all that information you have done to us. Now I have a question. At midnight, may be when all the system is off, the heating system installed at my apartment is doing some nasty noise. Is something like exploding once and once and once. I was talking about it to the owner but he said that the noise is normal. Do you have any idea what can we do?

Jan. 09 2008 01:32 PM
Debra from Woodmere, NY

We have an unfinished basement. Whenever it rains water appears. Sometimes it's near the wall but most times it's in the center of the basement. What can I do? Who should I call?

Jan. 09 2008 01:29 PM
Sue from New Jersey

Our basement flooded this past April. We had a carpet and it had to be removed. What would you recommend to do with the floor? I am dying to put another carpet down, but my husband wants nothing to do with it!

ps we have installed a french drain, and we have been in the house for 6 years and it has only flooded once.

thanks!

Jan. 09 2008 01:28 PM
Chris Pericone from NJ

Are attic fans generally necessary or will sofit, gable, and ridge vents be enough to prevent mold? Are solar fans any good?

Jan. 09 2008 01:27 PM
Chris Pericone from NJ

How important is it to remove black mold in the attic?

Jan. 09 2008 01:24 PM