Food for the New Year

Friday, December 28, 2007

What will you be eating over New Year's? Chef Michael Lomonaco recommmends a cocktail party with heavy passed hors d'oeuvres - substantial food that will help modulate the party’s excesses. Help your fellow listeners bid farewell to 2007 and welcome 2008. Share your favorite New Year's recipes by calling us at 212-227-7606 or leaving a comment below.

Weigh in: Which foods do you think can prevent or cure a New Year's hangover? What about dishes that may bring good luck for the rest of the year?

Michael Lomonaco

james bond from canada

what a lot of stupid suggestions-americans are so dumb

May. 28 2009 01:53 AM
Waldo from Manhattan

My Slovak grandmother served sauerkraut, pork chops, dumplings on new year's day -- It was supposed to be good luck but I never learned (or have forgotten) why.

Dec. 31 2007 03:50 PM
Roger Walters from East Village

Growing up in Texas, we relied on the "good luck" food, aka black-eyed peas for years. It was torture and seemed to do nothing to stem a progression of "bad" years.

Finally my mom started a new tradition of serving lobster tails on New Years Day, with the idea that no matter how bad things may get, we would have at least one great meal during the year!

Dec. 28 2007 12:41 PM
irina from New York

New Year is the biggest holiday for many Russians (and many former USSR republic) and it's another whole topic for the show: a lots of food, drinks and celebrations till morning...

Dec. 28 2007 12:38 PM
Mimi Brauch from Bergen County

New Year's in my German/Hungarian background includes herringsalat (beets, apples, creamed herring --recipes in the net) and suelze, probably called "head cheese" here. Suelze, made painstakingly by my mother, included veal, dill pickle slices, carrots, gelled into an aspic created by long-ccoking of veal bones. I haven't had it in years and would likely not eat it unless it was from my 96-year-old mother's recipe.

Mimi Brauch

Dec. 28 2007 12:38 PM
Roger Walters from East Village

My dad always ate oyster stew on New Year's Eve.

Dec. 28 2007 12:35 PM
Mariano from queens

Chicken rice soup is what my grandmother used to serve in the Philippines (in spanish it's Arroz Caldo). We ate it just before midnight as a snack.

Dec. 28 2007 12:34 PM
doll

it's all about *electrolytes* for hangovers. food's impact is emotional if anything.

a hangover is 99 percent dehydration. problem is that the body can only hydrate itself at a certain rate, so even though you may deluge your sorry system with water in the morning, you need the *electrolytes* to make it hit you.

chug a small gatorade (pedialyte is even better) before bed, and wash down two excedrin with a larger one in the morning and you will love me later.
cheers lushes!

Dec. 28 2007 12:34 PM
Greg Schnese from Union Square

This New Year I'll be making a wheatgrass cocktail. I've found an excellent video recipe here: http://www.beYOU.tv/videos/Healing-Quest-Rainforest-Yoga-for-Kids-Wheat-Grass-Cocktail

You'll need a blender, wheatgrass and apples.

It should be great for my health!

Greg

Dec. 28 2007 12:03 PM
A. Every from Forest Hills, NY

While living in Hawai'i for many years, we adopted the "heavy pupu's" style of get-togethers - we didn't call them "cocktail parties" as the local dining scene was much more casual than that wording indicates!

The food mix of so many Asian cultures along with some native Hawaiian foods are always present at any gathering - sashimi (Japanese) is the highlight of any New Year's celebration and yellowfin tuna caught in Hawaiian waters is the favorite fish for sashimi - Ahi means "fire" and is the Hawaiian word for tuna; any long noodle Chinese dish is eaten as long noodles mean a long life; a Hawaiian food of fish or pork steamed in a ti leaf; Kalbi ribs (Korean) are another favorite;

Dec. 27 2007 09:49 AM
Liz from New Brunswick, NJ

Only thing missing is crispy bacon. I need that grease!

Dec. 26 2007 10:39 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn

My favorite New Year's Day recipe:

Ingredients:
Lots of water
2 eggs
2 slices of hearty whole wheat bread

Directions:
First, drink lots of water. Wait a few hours.

Then fry eggs, leaving the middle runny.
Toast and butter bread.

Eat! Sop up egg yolks with bread.

Best cure for a hangover.

Dec. 21 2007 01:36 PM