Shirley MacLaine on Getting Older and Wiser

Monday, November 05, 2007

Academy Award-winning actress Shirley MacLaine has written a new memoir that highlights moments in her life when she found meaning in unexpected places, and explains how alternative healing has changed her life.

Purchase Sage-ing While Age-ing at amazon.com.

Weigh in: Has alternative medicine played a role in your life?

If you can't see the video click here

Shirley MacLaine
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Cindy from Phx AZ

Bravo for a fine interview with an intelligent woman who isn't afraid of pundits that have never cracked a book - especially one of hers - yet can't help cracking wise for something they know nothing about.

Do you realize how petty you sound? Are you envious?

She believes in freedom of speech, so should you.

Free your mind - the rest will follow.

Nov. 12 2007 12:46 PM
nori from Long Island NY'

As usual, most people are not aware of the way Shirley speaks her mind. She not only is a fine actress, but she has compassion, and cares about our Earth and its creatures.
I believe that anyone who thinks that we are the "tout etre" or the only beings in the universe is very self=absorbed.
This lady is well-educated and well=read.
The cracks made about her are a result of our self -deception that we are so great
Read her books and find a quiet corner. Breathe deeply and go into your inner self.
Thknk about what you find there!

Nov. 09 2007 04:25 PM
BL from Morristown NJ

The idea of past lives fascinate me but now I have that "between lives" stuff to think about. A great interview with a lady who's not afraid to speak her beliefs.

Nov. 06 2007 02:43 PM
Francyne Pelchar from nyc

She's a fine actress and a super-fine whacko. This interview should have been archived for airing on April Fools Day.

I was surprised to hear that level of drivel on NPR, thought the radio had been accidentally tuned to some fringe station. Star Beings? C'mon get real.

Nov. 06 2007 11:22 AM
Mike K. from brooklyn

Ben Franklin and Charlemagne, I guess hanging with the Rat Pack, and everyone else who's name she dropped, isn't enough for her.
Even in a past life, she couldn't once have been a nobody. I hope the Star Beings eat her first when they see our ruined ionesphere. Who are you going to interview tommorrow, Flava Flav?

Nov. 05 2007 03:58 PM
lw

Perhaps WNYC should interview some other wingnuts next, like Deepak Chopra.

Nov. 05 2007 02:22 PM
Mike from Brooklyn

Ana:

I'm not sure what they call it, but at least in Buddhism, there is an explanation of this issue you raise.

Nov. 05 2007 02:02 PM
Mike from Brooklyn

What a pompous name-dropper! Nehru, etc. etc...

I always find it humorous and egotistical that these folks who believe in past lives were never a 'regular' person in a past life - She was a lover of Charlemagne, 'knew' Ben Franklin, Robert Morris... give me a break.

Nov. 05 2007 02:00 PM
lw

Alternative medicine was never mentioned. That part of the interview actually sounded interesting, unlike this crazy metaphysical stuff.

Nov. 05 2007 01:58 PM
lw

UFOs? Reincarnation? Star-beings?

This new age stuff is insane.

Nov. 05 2007 01:56 PM
Jon P. from Hewitt, NJ

I'd like some of what Shirley is smoking....

Nov. 05 2007 01:55 PM
Paulo from Paterson, New Jersey

I don't think they're supporting her claims. They're not here to slam an actress for her wacky beliefs.

I think her opinions are silly, but if you don't believe in them, at least you can have a good laugh about it. She's a very charming woman and a great actress, and I won't begrudge her this quirky worldview.

Nov. 05 2007 01:54 PM
Ana from Summit, NJ

If there were about 2 billion peolple around 1900, about 6 billion now...are souls created at some point and not only recycled?

Nov. 05 2007 01:51 PM
SS

This makes me very, very happy.

Nov. 05 2007 01:49 PM
sarah from Brooklyn

Is this what NPR believes in? Star Beings? I'm worried this conversation will give non NPR believers even more fire.

Nov. 05 2007 01:48 PM