Please Explain: The Human Heart

Friday, October 19, 2007

Our hearts beat about 100,000 times every day, pumping our blood nearly 12,000 miles: the equivalent of crossing the U.S. from coast to coast four times. Today we'll find out how our most vital organ works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to keep it healthy. Send us your questions for Dr. Peter Libby, Chief of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Professor at Harvard Medical School, and the chief medical advisor for the PBS series “The Mysterious Heart."

Call us at 212-433-WNYC or post your questions and comments here.

“The Mysterious Human Heart” airs nationwide on Monday, October 22 at 9pm (check local listings).

Find more information, use interactive features, and view all the complete episodes of the series online here.

Peter Libby

j.j.kelter,md,facp from edison, nj

Dr.P.Libby erred in saying that caffeine /coffee is a risk factor in the occurrence of atrial fibrillation.This is not supported in peer reviewed med lit. This opinion is refuted in the literature.I have no vested interest in coffee or caffeinated beverages. Misinformation, esp on a commonly used beverage,should be retracted .
J.J.Kelter,MD,FACP,Assoc Prof Emeritus Of Med
SUNY. I have emailed Dr.Libby. No reply so far.

Oct. 22 2007 08:58 PM
jim freitas from kenilworth n j

Would you be able to ask Dr Libby
if it is confirmed that a person with
no history of Cardio/heart problems
should still benefit from taking
a low dose of aspirin (83 mg) daily?

Pls advise me

Jim Freitas

Oct. 19 2007 01:46 PM
SH from New York, NY

How come there is no heart cancer -- at least I never heard it? There are cancert for almost any part of the body.

Oct. 19 2007 01:44 PM
Andrea from NYC

What makes a murmur come and go?

Oct. 19 2007 01:38 PM
Amy from Manhattan

On high blood pressure, I heard Dr. Libby mention medications but not diet and other lifestyle changes. I've been reading about studies of the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet for years. This is not a fad diet--the studies were done by the Nat'l. Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute, which found that many people following the DASH diet could reduce the amount of blood pressure medication they needed, & in some cases were even able to stop taking it. I'd like to hear Dr. Libby's opinion on what diet can do for hypertension & other heart-related problems.

I'm a medical editor, but I didn't read about the DASH diet on the job--it was in the Center for Science in the Public Interest's publication, "Nutrition Action." The public should know more about this, & so should doctors. When friends tell me they've been diagnosed with high blood pressure, I ask them if their doctor mentioned the DASH diet, & they almost always say no. Just recently, I'm finally starting to see it mentioned in continuing medical education materials that I work on.

Oct. 19 2007 01:34 PM
sara gold from nyc

Just wondering - was that Cilla Black singing "Anyone Who Had A Heart" rather than Dionne Warwick?

And, yes, I've made my fall donation!

Oct. 19 2007 01:31 PM
James from Brooklyn

Leonard:

I watched the first part of the PBS heart series. There was an amazing story about a woman named Beth, who lost her heart function while being treated for a blockage. Can you ask Dr. Libby what exactly happened and how she is now?

Oct. 19 2007 01:31 PM