Please Explain: Apples

Friday, October 05, 2007

We'll get straight to the core of autumn's favorite fruit on today's Please Explain. Send your questions on all things apple-related to Steve Clarke of Prospect Hill Orchards and Dorothy Hinshaw Patent, author of A is for Apple, Apple Trees, and An Apple a Day.

Call us at 212-433-WNYC or post your questions and comments here.

Weigh in: What's your favorite apple recipe?

What type of apple to you like best?

Steve Clarke and Dorothy Hinshaw Patent

Dan Fielding

adf: no need for praise, friend. Just doing my part.

Oct. 05 2007 08:51 PM
adf

dan: bai. cu

Oct. 05 2007 03:35 PM
Dan Fielding

Correction, not Cincinnati, Cleveland rather...

Oct. 05 2007 02:05 PM
Dan Fielding

Here are some ideas for "Please Explain" that would be more interesting to intelligent people:

- Why do US tax payers pay interest to the Federal Reserve?
- Why was molten steel found under the WTC post collapse?
- Why was there no evidence of a plane crash in Pennsylvania on 9/11?
- And the same at the Pentagon?
- Please explain what happened to the people on that were unloaded at Cincinnati Airport from the planes that supposedly hit the WTC?

Oh boy, I guess those are a little too hard to explain huh?

Oct. 05 2007 02:02 PM
Ro

I understood that one of the reasons apples were so successful and essential to the early settlers was that they there was limited reliable potable water when travelling.

In pioneer days liquor was made from the apples carried by homesteaders that travelled across the prairie with the wagon trains.

Oct. 05 2007 01:59 PM
Susan Gempler from Bergen County NJ

I'm originally from way upstate New York. Where can I get Northern Spies down here? Or a place I can drive to on my way to Montreal in 2 weeks.

Oct. 05 2007 01:56 PM
Serena from Manhattan

how do you store honeycrisps long term?

Oct. 05 2007 01:51 PM
david

anyone know what kind of apple at the farmer's market has a strong cinnamon taste?

Oct. 05 2007 01:39 PM
Brad from UES, NY

I am an apple fanatic. Very few I dont like, but tops on my list: Pink Lady (yes, there is such thing as a spicy, ultra "aromatic intense" apple), Winesap or Stayman Winesap (essence of apple juice--if you like apple juice), Empire (crisp, firm, what a Macintosh should be), Macoun (only fresh--it does not get much better), Braeburn (crispy, crispy). They are short lived in the season and are outgoing now, but Ginger Golds are fantastic as well. Union Square has them all--eat up and go to town. As a seller to cut one up for you if want to try, they usually will comply.

Oct. 05 2007 01:38 PM
Sarah from Brooklyn

How could climate change affect apple production? Has anyone made any predictions? I wonder if in 100 years, current apple producing regions could be too warm to grow good apples.

Oct. 05 2007 01:33 PM

2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 or 4 apples, peeled cored & chopped
2/3 c. milk
1 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour a 13x9 in baking pan.
Combine flour, baking powder & soda, salt, and spices. Stir in nuts.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs. Add vanilla. Mix.
Stir dry mixture and milk alternately into butter mixture.
Fold in chopped apples.
Spread in pan and bake for about 35 minutes.

Oct. 05 2007 01:32 PM
Erik Freeland from Manhattan

Why do we see so many imported apples, even this time of year. Fairway uptown is over half imported, mostly from New Zealand.

Shouldn't we buy local when there is such a bounty from upstate?

Oct. 05 2007 01:32 PM
Appler from Queens

Did growers really have a problem getting people to pick the apples this season because of the anti-illegal immigration rhetoric? I remember that Times article with a grower worrying that they'd have to leave good fruit behind.

Oct. 05 2007 01:32 PM
Daniel Ruiz from Prescott, AZ

I have heard that most apple juice is processed in China. With the current scare of China's factory standards; is this true?

Oct. 05 2007 01:31 PM
kate from fort greene

Pink Lady apple are by far the best..
QUESTION..Is it true that eating a cup full of apple seeds can kill you due to the high level of cyanide?

Oct. 05 2007 01:25 PM
Kaye from Manhattan

QUESTION

Are the caloric and sugar contents different for each species of apple? I was told by a friend that the red delicious variety has more calories and sugar than granny smith. Is that true?

Oct. 05 2007 12:55 PM
Linda from Park Slope

Gala apples are my favorite, followed by Fuji and Granny Smith. Every Fall my grandma goes apple crazy, baking apple crumb cake, apple struedel, apple tarts. Simply delicious.

Oct. 05 2007 11:44 AM
bk from nyc

ever since honey crisps came along only a few years ago, I've become obsessed with them all season - forsaking all other types.

Oct. 05 2007 11:39 AM
Jeffrey Slott from East Elmhurst

There's a stand at the Union Square Market on Fridays that sells all kinds of apples you can never find anywhere else. I can never quite recollect its name thought it starts with an "S" and it's located on the 17th St side. One type of apple that they sell is called "Melrose". It is one of the best fruits, let alone apples, one can eat!

Oct. 05 2007 11:27 AM