Underreported: Berhanu Nega, Ethiopian Activist

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Dr. Berhanu Nega is a recently released Ethiopian political prisoner, and is also a leading member of the CUD, Ethiopia’s main opposition party. He joins Leonard on the first part of today's Underreported to talk about his harrowing prison experience, and provide a first-hand view of Ethiopian prime minister Meles Zenawi's heavy-handed suppression of political dissent.

Event:
Dr. Berhanu Nega will be giving a talk
Tonight, Thursday, Sept. 6th at 7:30 pm
New School for Social Research
Swayduck Auditorium
65 Fifth Avenue, between 13th and 14th streets
The event is free and open to the public.

Dr. Berhanu Nega

meti from Ethiopia

Dear Sir/Dr

I would like to be a member of your group.But not in the city.There is nothing what we can do.Meti is my code name in case this dummy people tracks it.I really wanna die for you and my country we are feed up of this mother fuckers

Feb. 10 2012 05:15 AM
Mengistu Girma from Israel

I pray my God to keep CUD party leaders and God bless them. I wish to see them on the Holly Land of Israel.

Sep. 24 2007 08:46 AM
tadesse

Dr.Nega, thanks for telling to us the facts about ethiopian condition, keep it up, God will give you the strength, b/s you are like an angel for many million suffering people,
finally, I would like to thank Leonard Lopate show to gave Dr. Nega this opportunities and able to speak the world for voiceless people, hopefully we will hearing you soon again on leonard show.
thanks!

Sep. 09 2007 09:00 AM
Jyigzaw from Washington D.C.

Our Almighty God has gave us to see you alive after you came out from Kaliti prison.
You are a patriot who raised your voice for the oppressed people of ethiopia. I am so happy for all your effort and I also read your book which you wrote it from prison.
You are a Legend and a great leader. May God bless you so much. I would hopefully see you when you come to D.C.
Ethiopia will prevail.

Sep. 08 2007 10:29 AM
Geda from Germany

Dr Berhanu Nega many thanks !!

Your commitment for democracy and the rule of law is inspiring many of us in diaspora.
I have a dream that in just couple of years ethiopia will grow to true democracy and our people will be administered by the government they choose.
The popularly rejected prime minister Meles has made a historic failure by manuplating the courts and by sending popularly electd Addis mayor and opposition leaders to Prison.

God bless Dr Berhanu and other political leaders of good will

Geda