Shadows in the Desert

Monday, August 20, 2007

Persia was once a superpower on par with the rival empires of Greece and Rome, but its history has been forgotten in the West. Dr. Kaveh Farrokh's new book explains how the art, architecture, religion, technology, and scholarship of Persia was spread throughout the ancient world, and highlights areas where its influence can still be seen today.

Purchase Shadows in the Desert: Ancient Persia at War at amazon.com.

Dr. Kaveh Farrokh
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

John from Jersey City, NJ

PLEASE FIX!!!

Aug. 22 2007 10:17 AM
Carolyn Maurice from Manhattan

Audio for "Shadows in the Desert" still isn't correct.

It's the audio for "Extreme Takeover."

Aug. 21 2007 06:42 PM
Olaf from Manhattan

I've also tried to listen to this and I'm getting the wrong content. Please fix.

Aug. 21 2007 01:24 PM
John from Jersey City, NJ

I'm also trying to download this segment but I keep getting the Cerberus interview.

Aug. 21 2007 09:41 AM
Val from Ossining, NY

Like Eric, I tried to listen to your archive but found only Chrysler. Please correct. Thank you.

Aug. 21 2007 08:35 AM
Eric Thomann from NYC

this is EXTREMELY frustrating! I'm trying to listen to Shadows in the Desert and all I get is Extreme Take over the Cerverus story. Where is Dr. Farrokh's interview?
Am I making a download error or has this segment been mislabled?

Regards,
Eric

***Lopate Show responds:
Hi Eric, we're working on fixing this. Thanks for writing.

Aug. 20 2007 05:56 PM
mana amidi from New York

Actually, Amy, it is the other way around. Peria comes from Farsi, or more acurately, Pers or Pars--as in Persepolis--originally the name of the other nation that united with the Mede and founded the Persian empire. It remains now--the name Pars or Fars, that is--as the name of a province in Iran, the center of which, Shiraz, was adopted by a winemaker in Australia to signify a grape purportedly imported from the eponymous city.
Mana;

Aug. 20 2007 02:18 PM
Jacqueline from Sunnyside

Thank you for this segment, I found it truly gratifying. I plan to buy and read Dr. Farrokh's book. Recently, due to my own fascination with ancient and modern history alike, and my interest in the complexities of the Middle East, I have become increasingly fascinated with Persian history and the Persian Empire. As a amateur historian, I never cease to be astounded at what socities and government's repress, play down, or completely obsfucate their own histories and others' histories. And I continue to find these instances truly fascinating.

Aug. 20 2007 01:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Is the name "Farsi" related to "Persia"--and if it is, does that mean the language spoken by Iranians has a Greek name?

Aug. 20 2007 01:43 PM
a from NYC

Leonard,

HBO's Rome can't deal with it as HBO stupidly cancelled the great series (and I consequently cancelled my subscription)

Aug. 20 2007 01:42 PM
Susan Veronica Rak from Somerset NJ

an aside:
atually, it was no "coincidence" that Christian festivals and holy days are celebrated on Pagan holy days and holidays... it was part and parcel of the "conversion" process authorized by the Church.

Aug. 20 2007 01:31 PM
Howard Lee from Berkeley Heights NJ

I'm an author of a children's book set in Ancient Persia "Jamshid and the lost Mountain of Light"(www.jamshid.gb.com).

I would loveto hear Dr Farrokh's thoughts on the role of women in Ancient Persia, and also why there is comparatively little contemporary Persian writing to balance the Greek propaganda - maybe the storage medium of the day (unfired clay) just isn't preserved?

Aug. 20 2007 01:19 PM