Please Explain: Hair

Friday, August 10, 2007

Find out why we have hair, if blondes have more fun, how shampoo and conditioner actually work, and more when Assistant Professor of Clinical Dermatology Dr. Michele Hanjani and anthropologist Dr. Peter Frost give us the long and short of hair, from head to toe.

Call us live on the air at 212-433-9692 or post your questions and comments here.

Weigh in: Tell us about your worst bad hair day.

Dr. Peter Frost and Dr. Michele Hanjani

Olivia Flavell from melbourne/australia

Why does your hair grow back curly post chemotherapy?

Sep. 13 2007 03:09 AM
Ravi from NJ

You mentioned Rogain and Propecia for balding in men. What are the side effects if any for both and is one better than the other?

Aug. 10 2007 02:07 PM
Karen

My husband claims that Rogaine doesn't work for frontal balding. Is this true?

Aug. 10 2007 01:58 PM
Ron from Bronx

Can a trauma suddenly turn hair gray?

Aug. 10 2007 01:56 PM
Lisa from Forest Hills

Is it an urban myth that someone who undergoes a traumatic event can wake up the next morning to discover their hair has turned completely white overnight?

If this is possible, what is the biology that causes this phenomenon to happen?

Aug. 10 2007 01:52 PM
JJ from NYC

Does Rogaine work?

Aug. 10 2007 01:48 PM
Alison from Washington Heights

Having had light blond hair for the 28 years of my life, my hair starting darkening when I moved to Manhattan in 2004. Multiple people have told me that the color change was probably from air pollution. Myth or a real possibility? Thanks!

Aug. 10 2007 01:47 PM
Neal from Port Washington

Why is my head hair staight while my beard hair is curly?

Neal

Aug. 10 2007 01:45 PM
Steven Skyles-Mulligan from Manhattan

There were a few poems about the Romans' love for blond hair. This is my favorite, by Juvenal, I believe:

The golden hair that Gulla wears
She swears tis hers
Tis hers, she swears it
And true she swears
For I know where she bought it.

Aug. 10 2007 01:44 PM
Barbra from Brooklyn

Is it true that use of SSRI antidepressants can cause balding in women? I've been using such a medication for a couple of years and I think it's causing me to lose hair on the top of my head (which in and of itself is quite depressing!) Will it grow back if I stop (or maybe change) prescriptions?

Aug. 10 2007 01:40 PM
hair is back from brooklyn

After chemotherapy, why does hair grow back curly, even if it was not curly before it fell out? Is there any way to keep these new curls?!!

Aug. 10 2007 01:35 PM
Simeon Berman from West Orange, NJ

Hello Lenny et al

A quick question .

This is a question directed towards Dr. Frost,

Old testament admonitions state that one should not cut the hair on the back on one's neck as well as the cutting of beard hair otherwise one's independence would be compromised.

What is the basis of that admonition and as mostly domesticated animals have we lost that roughness or individuality?

Thanks

Simeon Berman, MD

Aug. 10 2007 01:33 PM
Jo from Westchester

How much hair is it normal to lose each day? I have curly hair and am shocked by the amount in the tub I when I shower every day. I am female, mid forties.

Aug. 10 2007 01:33 PM
Teresa from Manhattan

Help! I think my handsome boyfriend is balding! Is there ANYTHING we can do to stop this???

Aug. 10 2007 01:24 PM
bk from nyc

many women with curly hair go to devachon salon in soho where one of the owners, lorraine massy, writer of the book "curly girl" & creator of amazing products for curly hair has become something of a guru to these women. she teaches that shampoo is BAD & totally unnecessary for curly hair. also, that a comb and brush damage hair - using ones fingers & conditioner in the shower to eliminate tangles is all hair needs. I have only used conditioner - no shampoo or a comb or brush for 7 years & my hair went from limp to botticelli curly, healthy and beautiful. what does your guest think of this method of hair treatment?

Aug. 10 2007 11:47 AM
Mogens from New York

Is it true that we all have tiny parasites living in our hair?

I've heard they're called Demodex mites and they live in our hair follicles without causing any ill effects - please tell me it's a myth.

Aug. 10 2007 11:02 AM
TMuir

Did you have to put that nasty picture of "leg hair" there?

Aug. 10 2007 10:42 AM
Ingrid from Manhattan

Question for Dr. Hanjani:

The bulbs at the roots of my hairs all look completely different: some white, some black, some large and oval-shaped, some tiny and round like miniature globes...

Why the differences, especially when the hair on the surface all looks the same?

And how can black roots produce white hairs?

Thank you.

Aug. 10 2007 10:37 AM
Dick Cameron from Orange,NJ

I'm now 45 and have noticed only a few gray strands throughout my dark brown hair, but my beard is almost entirely white.

My father,age 64, has the same issue, only recently showing some white above his ears.

Why does this happen?