10 Minute Meals

Monday, August 06, 2007

The New York Times calls food columnist Mark Bittman "The Minimalist," and rightly so: his most popular recent article featured 101 recipes that can be made with just a few ingredients in 10 minutes or less. Here are three to get you started:

Number 36: Fried egg “saltimbocca”: Lay slices of prosciutto or ham in a buttered skillet. Fry eggs on top of ham; top with grated Parmesan.

Number 54: Brown small pork (or hot dog) chunks in a skillet. Add white beans, garlic, thyme and olive oil. Or add white beans and ketchup.

Number 96: A Roman classic: In lots of olive oil, lightly cook lots of slivered garlic, with six or so anchovy fillets and a dried hot chili or two. Dress pasta with this.

Read Mark Bittman's article "Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less."

Weigh in: What's your favorite 10 minute meal?

Mark Bittman

Bruce Hager from Montclair, NJ

Bless you, Mark Bittman and WNYC. As a single Dad of a 12-year old boy and a 9-year old girl, creating fresh ideas night after night that please two completely different young palates is an exercise in creeping lunacy. May I suggest 101 Meals in Less than 10 Minutes for People Under 21?

Aug. 07 2007 05:19 PM
Lady V

The Urban Vegan posted her version of 101 Vegan Meals awhile ago:

Aug. 07 2007 09:47 AM
Chicago Listener

Sofrito!

At 28:30 a caller mentions sofrito, but microwaved!?!?!?!?!

Puerto Rican chicken is something the entire world should slow down to appreciate.

Brown the chicken, then potatoes, then the sofrito and simmer for at least two hours. Sabroso!!!!!

I have it on good faith that my sofrito recipe could land me a wife if I were so inclined.

Aug. 07 2007 07:08 AM
Chicago Listener

love this mark bittman guy!!! very fun. very interesting. i grabbed that 101 section when it came out. i love to cook and GREATLY appreciate all of the foodie and cooking segments.

bittman's tone and directness are great.

"stir fry it in peanut oil with scallions and you're in business."

i love ruth reichl. (not for nothing, but she could totally have her way with me.)

but this other, male, voice on cooking is also very welcome.

more, please.

Aug. 07 2007 06:38 AM
rob from queens

Thanks listeners for info on the vegan chef's site - I think she should be interviewed for a future show and am glad she phoned in, but was thought an opportunity was missed to provide this resource. I'm not a vegan, but interested in tasty, healthier, low cholesterol options -- most of the suggestions involved meat, dairy, etc.

Aug. 06 2007 02:40 PM
aparna from Hells Kitchen, Manhattan

I've been doing something similar on our website shortorder.tv -- we have a slew of quick, healthy meals which can be prepared (in single serving!) in 3 minutes. Check it out!

Aug. 06 2007 02:23 PM
jjle from nj

& direct link:

Aug. 06 2007 12:43 PM
kl from here

And here are the actual 101 vegan meals posted on her site:

Thanks so much Lagusta, I will look at your site more..!

Aug. 06 2007 12:42 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I thought of my 3rd quick ingredient: stale(ish) tortilla chips are fine as the grain in soups, where it doesn't matter if they aren't crisp.

Aug. 06 2007 12:39 PM
jjlev from nj

Some prepared Asian sauces (and probably others) are excellent.

Curious to hear a bit of chat on using prepared sauces.

Aug. 06 2007 12:38 PM
kl from here

I think this is it, the vegan chef:

Remember she correct the pronunciation of her name?

cheers..

Aug. 06 2007 12:38 PM
Geoff from brooklyn

Fresh pesto freezes quite well. I drop pesto into some pasta, add some feta and a bit of cayenne. Quick and delicious.

Aug. 06 2007 12:35 PM
KS from Brooklyn

Who are these people who can't peel an ear of corn in 10 minutes???

Just peel off the outer husks first, then make sure you divide the silks into 2 parts and peel them back with the remaining husks. You should only have a couple silks left on the ear.

Also, if you've looked at the ears before buying, you won't have any bad spots or need to cut anything. The stalk part snaps off with a good pop.

Aug. 06 2007 12:29 PM
kl from here

Hello to the vegan blogger who mentioned her 101 vegan meals you can make in 10 minutes..

Could you post your blog site?

I googled and couldn't find...
thanks...!

Aug. 06 2007 12:22 PM
JJLev from nj

If that vegan chef posts the link to her 101 recipes w/in the next few minutes, I promise I won't call your show and ask Bittman about bacon!

Aug. 06 2007 12:22 PM
jane from brooklyn

someone just called from new paltz who is a vegan chef and put up 101 vegan dishes on her blog. where can i find it???

Aug. 06 2007 12:21 PM
KS from Brooklyn

Yes, you can--

1. two ears of corn in the steamer with a little water in the bottom,

2. Halve two big tomatoes, smear with pesto and put in the toaster oven (put on aluminum foil on the little tray). Toast on the higest setting or toast twice. Add a little extra parmesan if you want before broiling.

3. Throw some greens in a bowl and dress lightly (Goddess is a good one for summer).

4. Grab a hunk of bread.

Aug. 06 2007 12:17 PM
Les Garrick from Woods Hole, MA

Bittman,
I used your big fat cookbook with great results. But don't try and fool people into believing that they can put a meal on the table, even for 2, in 10 minutes without a substantial pantry and stuff in the frig and freezer. I've tried, and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to get an entree and salad to the table.
Les Garrick