How Does Your Garden Grow?

Friday, August 03, 2007

Whether you've got a window box in Manhattan or a sprawling backyard in Manhasset, horticulturalist Gerard Lordahl is here to help you get things growing despite the summer heat.

Visit the New York Council on the Environment.

Call us live on the air at 212-433-9692 or post your questions and comments here.

Gerard Lordahl

charlie aka mrtomato from brooklyn

hi i organic heirloom veggie garden i have tomatoes eggplants basil collardgreens sweet and hot peppers italian spinach polebeans arugula broccoli raab squash red white yellow watermelons and a european melon charentais i have a tomatoe all most 2lbs and one all most 3lbs its called yellow brandywine sudduth's strain and my 3 watermelons that can grow from 3lbs to 10lbs are whitewonder bush sugarbaby yellow petite and i grow alot of marigolds i put basil with the tomatoplants in the same bed say no to gmo's do not use any monsanto products go organic iam also growing corn and italiam lettuce mix mrtomatoxxpress@yahoo.com

Aug. 03 2007 01:36 PM
Amie in RI from Providence, RI

I have a few oriental lilies/tiger lilies growing in the garden I inherited. The first year, a couple bloomed beautifully. This year, they have been turning brown and being eaten alive by bugs - primarily some sort of red beetles. Help!

Aug. 03 2007 12:41 PM
Lisa from Lower Westchester

How do I recreate an English cottage garden feel - tiny plot, full sun at front very shady back. Plant suggestions please.
Homesick Brit!

Aug. 03 2007 12:37 PM
Jason from Ny,NY

My Hydrangea is in partial sun, but still refuses to flower. What can I do to encourage it to blossom?

Aug. 03 2007 12:36 PM
Laura from NJ

Of course a lot of people grow stuff in NJ. It's the garden state!!!

Aug. 03 2007 12:33 PM
Joe from NJ

Zanfel works much better than technu for Poison Ivy. It costs $40 per ounce though.

Aug. 03 2007 12:28 PM
Laura from New Jersey

Is there anywhere in my garden or houseplants where I can use the dirty water from my fish aquarium (fresh water) after I've cleaned the tank?

Aug. 03 2007 12:25 PM
Heather Contant from Brooklyn

I'm having a hard time with bolting spinach, lettuce, even my herbs are bolting! How do I prevent bolting?

Aug. 03 2007 12:25 PM
Warren Chow from Soho

I live on the top floor in a 5th floor walk up. My plants never seem happy no matter how much light and water it gets. I'm not over watering, nor under watering. It seems they are most unhappy in the winter time. Any tips for these conditions?

Thanks.
Warren

Aug. 03 2007 12:23 PM
Jane Liehmann from Long Island

Our first corn crop was demolished by a combination of birds and squirrels. How can we protect the next crop as it becomes ripe?

Aug. 03 2007 12:23 PM
Joann

Do non-annual plants that die over the winter bloom again in the spring?

Aug. 03 2007 12:22 PM
Robie Craig from Bergen County

I have two gardenias in pots. They are very lush and green and appear to be healthy, but never bloom. They are fed periodically, but have not been repotted. Any suggestions on how to encourage blooming?

Aug. 03 2007 12:22 PM
Amanda Justice from Brooklyn

I have petunias in a pot on my terrace, and they recently became infested with aphids. What can I do to get rid of them (the aphids, not the petunias)? I would prefer an organic solution.

Thanks!
Amanda

Aug. 03 2007 12:18 PM
Ben from NY

What recommendations do you have to maximize shade using plants to keep our dwellings cool and save power when the weather is like this ?

Aug. 03 2007 12:17 PM
Francine Epstein from Chester, NJ

My roses were beautiful this spring but now have no leaves and look so sad. Any suggestions?

Aug. 03 2007 12:16 PM
Jeffrey Slott from Queens, NY

Your guest comments that the weather so far has proven not very amenable for gardening but according to Wednesday's New York Times:

"Good weather has blessed many crops in the New York region this year, and abundance at the Greenmarkets is a result. “There has been enough rain, but not too much,” said Fred Wilklow of Wilklow Orchards in Highland, N.Y.

Tomatoes, top, and corn are in extremely good shape, as are zucchini. Squashes, including patty pans in various colors, sizes and patterns; herbs; a rainbow of peppers; four or five kinds of eggplant; five kinds of carrots; verdant okra; lettuces; cucumbers; green beans; and shell beans, which are just coming in, fill the vegetable stands.

Peaches and other stone fruit are benefiting from hot, sunny days. New Jersey expects its peach season to be a long one this year."

Aug. 03 2007 12:13 PM
Fran Krause from Bed-Stuy

The city planted an fifteen-foot honey locust in front of my house at the start of June. I was watering it every day, about four gallons in the morning and four at night. Is that too much water for a tree?

Aug. 03 2007 12:10 PM
Anne-Marie from Montreal, Canada

Hello,

I'd like to know which vegetables, herbs, and fruits grow best in the shade.

Many thanks and love your show Leonard!

Anne-Marie R.