Please Explain: Fireworks

Friday, June 29, 2007

Today's Please Explain is all about fireworks, just in time for the Fourth of July. Phil Grucci of Fireworks by Grucci. Mr. Grucci is an innovator in the field of pyrotechnics, and he's been responsible for many of the most challenging and progressive pyrotechnic performances around the world, from New York to Seoul.

Phil Grucci

Joan Jaeger from Narrowsburg, NY

I found Leonard Lopate's show featuring Phil Grucci to be very informative. As always listening to NPR expands my horizens and knowledge. Thank you for bringing wonderful programming to us.

Jul. 04 2007 05:31 PM
Dove from NYC

Great program, interesting history. Leonard does it again!

P.S. Smaller displays are found outside of Manhattan. Small illegal shows are not worth seeking out and certainly not listed.

P.P.S. A nice ground display can be seen on New Year's Eve in Central Park after the aerials.

Jul. 03 2007 03:50 PM
yung from NYC

Where can I find a list of the many fireworks displays that can be seen from Manhattan, including the smaller displays? A few hidden spot to watch the display, Thank You.

Jul. 03 2007 10:59 AM
LEE from BERKELEY HEIGHTS, NJ

ALL AERIALS AND NO GROUND FIREWORKS ARE BORING.
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A CHILD THERE WERE VERY INTERESTING ONES, LIKE THE CHASING FISHES AND NIAGARA FALLS. SOME OF THEM ALSO SHOT OFF AERIALS FROM THE GROUND. LETS BRING THEM BACK.

Jun. 29 2007 01:56 PM
Jeffrey Slott from Queens, NY

With all due respect I think fireworks displays after a while are quite boring. I appreciate it when music is brought in; the difficulty is setting up the right kind of music and timing it well. The best fireworks display I have ever seen was a 4th of July show with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue performed in Philadelphia 8 or so years ago!

Jun. 29 2007 01:51 PM
Steve Hamacher from Baldwin, L.I.

I wonder about the toxicity of a fireworks show. It seems like we could be shooting hundreds of pounds of chemicals up into the air over one small area......

Jun. 29 2007 01:39 PM
Joan from lower Manhattan

Where can I find a list of the many fireworks displays that can be seen from Manhattan, including the smaller displays? (Obviously, the Big Shows are easy to find.)

Jun. 29 2007 12:11 PM