Slow Food Debates

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Gourmet Editor-in-Chief Ruth Reichl and Alice Waters, owner of Chez Panisse and Vice President of Slow Food International, explore the debate about how food should be produced and distributed in the US.

Slow Food Nation: Articles and Resources
"Alice Waters On Slow Food Nation," The Daily Green
Slow Food USA
"Slow Food Fight," by Tom Philpott on Grist.org
New Amsterdam Public Market, New York City

Is Slow Food an elite movement?Weigh in.

Ruth Reichl and Alice Waters

cindy g from brooklyn

going to the farmer's market connects me to my childhood. I can't imagine shopping any other way.

my grandparents built a home on staten island in the 50's. They planted barlett & seckel pears, apples, sour & sweet cherry trees. Every summer they planted basil, tomatoes, zucchini, and other vegetables.

My grandfather planted rows and rows basilico (basil). I remember the smell of him after deseeding the plants to make them grow bushier.

I remember picking fruit with Grandpa and my cousins, making cherry pies with Grandma and eating brandied cherries on new year's eve.

Jun. 12 2007 01:57 PM
ismael r. from dumbo, nyc

I wonder if the guests could comment on the produce vendors under the manhattan bridge.

Jun. 12 2007 01:56 PM
s. sutton from Upper West Side, Manhattan

Re: School Lunches

Only ones to blame for the awful food now served in schools are the pols. When I was in school, a public school in a middle to lower-middle class NY suburb, the only drinks served were milk or water. Food (I never liked it, but most kids ate it) was always cooked, fish at least once a week, always a protein, a vegetable and a starch. Who in the world thought to bring soda or vending machines or fast food into school cafeterias? The pols. If we're kind, it may be cuz of money offered for schools, but the amounts are insignificant. Terrible decision.

Jun. 12 2007 01:46 PM
Holly Mendenhall from Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for a great conversation! The idea of slow food may seem elitist to those with no historical scope. Our society which was once agrarian, is now industrialist. Slow food is just a modern name for the way peasants and native people have been nourishing themselves all over the world since the beginning of time.
In a day when fast food is the norm, time to cook wholesome food seems like luxury. But at what cost?

Jun. 12 2007 01:44 PM
Kate from Staten Island

Also, I am writing a policy for Masters Degree in Administration on Food in the Schools. I love these ideas you are discussing. I want to do what Jamie Oliver did in the UK --here. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Jun. 12 2007 01:42 PM
elaine from bronx, ny

there is one greengrocer in my area and two small supermarkets. so the challenge is to get supermarkets in NY to carry produce from local grocers and not rely on 'fossil fuel' to get us to farmers markets, i.e. UNION SQUARE.

Jun. 12 2007 01:41 PM
Carol from NJ

It's a good idea, but of course it's elitist. Even if you are an exceptionally organized cook and procurer, this is for people with plenty of time and no small amount of money to invest in feeding their families and friends.

Jun. 12 2007 01:37 PM
Kate from Staten Island

This is a great show. I am listening while researching a hotel for the Napa Valley. Does Alice recommend any particular hotel or inn? I am thinking of the Harvest Inn.

Also, having lived in the UK for 4 years, I learned a great deal about Food Miles. The pork and meat tasted so much better to me, I think bc it is minimally processed there and travels fewer miles to get to the supermarket.
Fair Trade coffee is so much more prevalent in the Uk than here.

Jun. 12 2007 01:36 PM
Chicago listener

slow food may not be elitist, but it might seem like a luxury to people in neighborhoods that have no supermarkets. on the west side of chicago, people have to travel two or three miles to get to a decent market...barley decent. so people subsist on mcdonalds and fried chicken and fried fish. on the north side, you can't throw a rock without hitting a whole foods. greenmarkets are open all around the city now, but of course a particular market is only open one day a week.

also, the idea of a home-cooked meal has faded for many americans.

Jun. 12 2007 01:28 PM
chestine from NY

How can anybody call slow food elitist? You have to stay home and cook it! You have to bother yourself to learn about it!

The gorgeous dairy I buy on the farm is actually less than half the price of the vastly interior organic dairy I get even from Whole Foods. The eggs are pastured and far better.

Good stock is something you can't buy, nor can you reap its benefits anywhere else

All this for me is about bone density.

non organic or prefab foods can be hazardous to your health! How can you call it elitis to want to keep your bones?

Jun. 12 2007 01:22 PM