Underreported: The Legacy of the War in Laos

Thursday, May 24, 2007

During the Vietnam War, the CIA used Laos to launch secret operations, which in turn led to mass bombings and destruction there. And after the 1975 Communist takeover, hundreds of thousands of Laotians who had aided the Americans had to flee the country for fear of retribution. On today's first Underreported, we find out what has happened to those who left. Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath are director and co-director of the documentary film "Nerakhoun," about Thavisouk's long and difficult journey from war-torn Laos to Brooklyn.

Ellen Kuras and Thavisouk Phrasavath

Cameron from Ohio

The interviewed was great and i would like to know when exactly the NERAKHOUN will be air or show in New York. Or is there a chance to show the Documentary in Ohio.

Thanks
Cameron

Jan. 14 2008 05:42 PM
LAOGAL from CALIFORNIA

HI THERE ELLEN AND THAVISOUK,
I KNOW LIFE IS HARD BUT ITS HARDER WHEN WE ALL FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER. I HAVE LEARN TO LOVE AND ACCEPT THE DIFFERENCES FROM MY LIFE EXPERIENCE OF GROWING IN THE BIG FAMILY ALSO MET DIFFERENT LIFE STYLES OF ALL. SO IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE STORY FROM REFUGEE PEOPLE WHY THEY THINK AND HATE OUR LEADER TODAY.
YOUR INTERVIEW AUDIO MADE ME EVEN MORE INTERESTED TO LEARN ABOUT PEOPLE THAT FLED THEIR COUNTRY AT THAT TIME. I WAS BORN IN 1981 SO 1977 WAS MY NUMBER 5TH WAS AGE 2 AT THE TIME . I HAVE UNCLE AUNTS THAT CAME TO USA DURING THAT TIME TOO I FEEL THAT THEIR CHOICES THAT MADE AND I WON'T SAY RIGHT OR WRONG BECAUSE EVERYONE HAVE THEIR STORY SO MADE IT MORE INTERESTING TO THINK IT CLEARLY AND WRITE IT DOWN IT MAKE MORE EASIER PERSON LIKE ME CAN UNDERSTAND. TALK ABOUT MOST PEOPLE IN LAOS MOST MAYBE NO CHANCES OR NOT EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE PAST OR TIME GONE BY CAN BE FORGOTTEN OR SOME PERSON MAYBE TOO BUSY WITH DOING SOMETHING ELSE RATHER THAN WRITE STORY OF THEMSELVES. SO SOMETIME I THOUGHT I WISH I COULD WRITE A STORY FOR SOMEONE IN LAO LANGUAGE. SO IF YOU NEED HELP WITH PHASA LAO I WILL BE MORE THAN WELCOME TO HELP. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.

YOUR SINCERELY,

LATSAMI

Jul. 21 2007 04:10 AM
Thongsavanh Phongsavan from Woonsocket

Hi Thavisouk and Ellen:

Congratulation on your film (Legacy of war) and
I am please to hear from your interview in NY,
I would like to see more young media and entertainment person like Thavisouk its great to know.

I would like to see the film when is the show and DVD can be purchased I would love to have one for my souvenir. Great!

I'm producing the Political history of Laos
in Laotian halfway to go hopefully will be aired some time next summer.

Again, Thank you and good luck to you all!

Thongsavanh Phongsavan
Vientiane Broadcasting Television
Producer

Jul. 09 2007 12:12 PM
moyashi from NYC, USA

The fantastic Laotian music called "Molam" has been disseminated in the West by Jah Wobble on his CD called "Molam Dub," so for Leonard to say that "no one knows/hears anything about Laos," is not correct.

Jun. 11 2007 11:08 AM
suli thamm from nyc, ny usa

I can't wait to see it....CONGRAT.....Thavi and Ellen. See you on June 9.
Much Love,
Suli Thamm

May. 29 2007 11:44 AM
Houmpheng Phongsavath from Minnesota

Thank you very much for posting that interview
on this this page ,I think most laotian people who were escaped from Laos at that time must have similar story like Mr.Thavisouk Phasavth,
I would like to see that film ,if you sell it i want to buy some ,i want you to contact me by emai to give me some more detail about that.
Sincerely yours,
Houmpheng Phongsavath

May. 26 2007 02:16 AM
Pam from Brooklyn

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for covering this topic. As a Laotian immigrant my family fled Laos after the Vietnam War. My family's story is so similar to that of Thavisouk. There are many untold stories within my family of this tragic time. Listening to this show has made me want to learn more about my own story.

T